Background Retinopathy

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve just had a letter through from my eye screening and it has stated that I have BGR no stage was declared but I’ll presume that it’s state one as it has asked me to come back in a 12 months.
The issue is that I seem to be getting these letters every three years. I’ve been having screenings for 7 year- 1st year issues-2/3 years No issues detected-4th year issues detected-5/6 No issues and now Year 7 issues detected.

I’m thinking of asking for another test earlier as during my eye test the technician had serious trouble. She showed me the pictures where after taking a picture, was unable to take another one as my retina had closed.

Obviously the last year has been covid so if R1 has developed, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Do you think I should wait a year or ask for an earlier appointment? Also any tips for reducing the progression?

Thanks for taking your time to read this and maybe respond.

NC

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I’ve just had a letter through from my eye screening and it has stated that I have BGR no stage was declared but I’ll presume that it’s state one as it has asked me to come back in a 12 months.
The issue is that I seem to be getting these letters every three years. I’ve been having screenings for 7 year- 1st year issues-2/3 years No issues detected-4th year issues detected-5/6 No issues and now Year 7 issues detected.

I’m thinking of asking for another test earlier as during my eye test the technician had serious trouble. She showed me the pictures where after taking a picture, was unable to take another one as my retina had closed.

Obviously the last year has been covid so if R1 has developed, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Do you think I should wait a year or ask for an earlier appointment? Also any tips for reducing the progression?

Thanks for taking your time to read this and maybe respond.

NC
I had the 1st laser treatment in 1979 and last in 1983. Ever since I have had screening - many years back, I have at least one standard letter a year informing me I have background retinopathy. Some years back they even referred me to the head ophthalmologist at Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, who informed them they were looking at old scarring. I hear too many cases where people have been frightened by what are often standard letters. I would say that keeping close to my regime and tight blood glucose control is the reason I can still see very well and am still on the planet! Good luck.

Reactions: NaijaChick

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!!! Someone else said it’s nothing to worry about as my last HBA1C was 6.2 and I’ve tightened up my DC even more. Moved from 30units with most meals to 6 if I’m over carbing.

Thank you❣️❣️❣️

Dark Horse

It may be that you have a very low level of background retinopathy - so low that new features can only be detected every few years. In this situation, the likelihood of developing sight-threatening retinopathy is also very low so an appointment in 12 months would be appropriate.

To prevent background retinopathy from progressing, maintain good control of blood glucose, blood pressure and lipids.

This explains the stages of diabetic retinopathy:- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-retinopathy/stages/
This explains how to prevent progression:- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-retinopathy/prevention/