Got my HBA1c from 87 to 32

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had some good news this week HBA1c was 32. I managed to do this by dieting and no medication. I put all the excellent advice and information i have had here to good use and just want to say thank you to this great community for taking the time to help others out :)
I have managed to lose almost 4.5 stone (12.8 stone in boxers), waist to hight ratio is correct now (34 inch), BMI is 24.8 and dropping so i am ticking all the boxes
I should have tryed to get more information about cholestrol before the test. They told me it was non fasting so i had breakfast (4 eggs and some cheese) and a couple of cups of coffee before the test :). My HDL 1.4 and Trig 1.6 were good it seems but i explained to the doctor earlier about breakfast etc and she going to do a fasting blood test in 3 months and see if it has improved and told me just keep doing what your doing as it is working :)
I have only been at this 6 months and have to keep going and not fall off the wagon but no brain fog and the weight loss and the fact i dont mind eating like this should keeping me on the straight and narrow :)
My goal for the next 3 months is my cholestrol, i only eat twice a day and 2 chunks of 90% coco chocolate at night and my BS in the morning is between 4 and 4.5. My diet consists of 4 eggs with some cheese every morning then for supper (4-5 oclock) is a bit of Serloin steak (200mg) or some lamb chops (3) or 2 angus burgers with bacon and cheese on each one or 2 chops or 2 loin steaks. The steak, lamb chops and burgers are frozen but the best quality i can afford, the loin steaks are fresh from butcher. I have other things but they are my go to meals mostly and i drink coffee mainly every day. I think i eat about 100ish grams of fat and 100ish grams of protien a day (give or take) and i dont feel hungry.
The only thing that showed up for effecting cholestrol is coffee and cheese. I can cut back on both but any warm drink ideas that are healthier would be welcome. I am drinking 2 cups of hot water inbetween the coffee to try and reduce my intake and i put a few slices of cheese in my omlete (Cathedral Extra mature) for taste
As usual thanks for any help and advice moving forward, i hope eveyone manages to find what works for them and have a healthy 2022 :)

Last edited:

Lakeslover

I personally wouldn’t worry too much until you get a proper fasting test done.

in your omelette you could try slices of tomato, onion, mushroom, or ham, or add any herbs you like. Or indeed any combination of these,

congratulations on a great result too.

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing news on your HbA1c reduction well done.

As for cholesterol until you have had a "proper" fasted level measured its pretty pointless to change what you are eating.

If it was non fasted they probably didn't do a full lipid panel so you won't get meaningful results anyway.

In your shoes I'd stick with the cheese and coffee! If your body wants cholesterol it will make it whatever you eat... we'd die without it.

Reactions: jjraak

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you bulkbiker, i spent some time looking at your replys to posts and you had the same total cholestrol as me so i didnt worry to much. Thats why i asked GP to do another fasting one and she was happy to do that. Seems like they going to remove me from register after next checkup if everything is ok or try and put me on statins if they not better.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Great result. Regarding the cholesterol, you may have to decide which hypothesis is more plausible. When I reconciled that the mainstream view does not stack up, I was happy to have higher total and LDL, whilst having low trigs and high HDL. Just watched a YouTube with Dr Shawn Baker and Dr Boz, Shawn's LDL was recently 170 which is circa 4.3 in UK numbers.

Reactions: shelley262

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you bulkbiker, i spent some time looking at your replys to posts and you had the same total cholestrol as me so i didnt worry to much. Thats why i asked GP to do another fasting one and she was happy to do that. Seems like they going to remove me from register after next checkup if everything is ok or try and put me on statins if they not better.
People in remission shouldn’t come off the register. (That’s only if there was an error in diagnosis) You lose the monitoring and annual eye checks etc. Sadly remission is not cured and we should always be monitored.

Reactions: BoringBrian

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your results well done on blood sugars and weight especially a real superstar.
I’ve also had cholesterol anxieties over the past four years whilst putting my diabetes into remission and I’ve really valued the information and support from @bulkbiker who has put lots of useful links to cholesterol gurus including Dave Feldman on this site.
Some of us,it seems, can be more sensitive to dairy and coffee. I’ve had some success in lowering from the level of 13! To now 7.5 by having less cream - I use lactofree whole milk in coffee now rather than cream, and more Fage 0% yoghurt for puddings and I also filter my coffee with good quality filter papers rather than a French press and these two things have helped me but as others say you need a proper fasted test with a breakdown to see what’s happening and I’m increasingly less concerned about cholesterol the more I read and research the less worried I am. We need cholesterol for so many things including fighting viruses! Suggest listen to this podcast out today It may interest you
https://lowcarbmd.com/episode-204-dave-feldman-dr-nick-norwitz-and-dr-adrian-soto-mota
Hang on to staying on register it’s good to keep an eye on your longer term maintenance of your remission.

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Congratulations on a great result!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great results @ultradad , keep up the good work!
I second what @HSSS says about staying on the register for the check ups you’re entitled to have.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow thanks everyone and thanks for the info. Will keep doing what i am doing and make sure i stay on the register. Should i be checked every 6 or 12 months. Still early days for me so still trying to find my feet :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice guidance says every 6 months for hba1c etc once stable (3 months til then) and annual for foot and eye checks.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow thanks everyone and thanks for the info. Will keep doing what i am doing and make sure i stay on the register. Should i be checked every 6 or 12 months. Still early days for me so still trying to find my feet :)
Have a read here, what NICE expects of type 2 care. My GP follows this I have a yearly annual check up, including HbA1c, other bloods, BP, weight, eyes, feet etc… with a six monthly HbA1c in between.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28/chapter/Recommendations#hba1c-measurement-and-targets

Reactions: DJC3

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve no useful info to add to what any of the others have said @ultradad , but wanted to chip in with my congratulations for your excellent progress and results. You will be an inspiration to many newly diagnosed T2s

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on a stunning result, and all your own work too.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done and thanks for sharing, just the inspiration I need this morning.

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a fabulous achievement - I hope you feel really proud of yourself!