Type 2. 4 Months in.

scot russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed with type 2 on 15th August 2021 HbA1c 73
Metforman for two months then stopped. It was not agreeing with me
Changed eating habits, lost 1.5 stone, started exercise regularly 8k per day on exercise bike.
Lo carb diet 60g per meal.
BG between 6.0 & 7.7 2 hours after meals.
Just had HbA1c done. Down to 40.

Getting there, still got a bit to go.

Thanks for all the input on the site it's been very helpful.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations, you must be feeling so much fitter as well.

Kathy Liu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
do housework!
Congratulations! Try this diet, I find it quite helpful,
Eating is my only effort :hilarious:
upload_2021-12-6_21-20-50.jpeg

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Congratulations! Try this diet, I find it quite helpful,
Eating is my only effort :hilarious: View attachment 52341
I feel that @scot russell is doing well and so certainly doesn't need to be confused by your misleading post.
Eating low GI just doesn't help much, it is eating low carb that makes the difference, low GI is just a crude way to choose between 2 foods of equal carb content.
A much better way to choose between 2 foods with equal carb content is by testing your own personal reaction to them with a Blood Glucose meter.

Reactions: Rach612

scot russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel that @scot russell is doing well and so certainly doesn't need to be confused by your misleading post.
Eating low GI just doesn't help much, it is eating low carb that makes the difference, low GI is just a crude way to choose between 2 foods of equal carb content.
A much better way to choose between 2 foods with equal carb content is by testing your own personal reaction to them with a Blood Glucose meter.
Hi. Yes by counting carbs and checking my BM I can keep my numbers low.

Reactions: ianpspurs

AGC_68

Great going!

Is the 60g of carbs per meal a typo though? Seems on the higher side for a low carb regimen. 180 g for the day on 3 meals?

I was diagnosed with T2 about the same time as you. I took the same approach of tackling it with diet and lifestyle.

I was already very active, so had to reduce the calories.
This brought my BG down a bit but it was still refusing to get down to normal, so I decided to try eliminating all starchy vegetables completely. I had already reduced the starchy veggies in my diet and eliminated all added sugar. But for me the starchy veg was still taking the BG higher than I wanted. Eliminating the starchy veg, replacing the starch with non starchy veg and healthy fats, but keeping the calories restricted to continue losing the excess weight, I did notice that the BG came down quickly and I continued to lose weight. At first BG was very sensitive to me consuming any starchy foods, even healthy ones like black beans or chick peas. Now that I have lost enough of the internal fat, I can tolerate more carbs in my diet and my BG stays in the normal zone, even post prandial (which was just not happening with starchy veg or refined carbs in my diet + calory restriction + exercise). Now that I'm less insulin resistant I can have more carbs without affecting BG badly. But I keep it low carb most days by just not eating any starchy foods or any sugary foods.

If you find you get stuck in terms of progress like I did, I suggest trying to reduce the carbs. You can always increase again later and see how it affects your BG.

I followed the Newcastle protocol in terms of calorie restriction. But being very active, some days I would have more, but stayed in a big calorie deficit for 10 weeks or so.

There are books out there with good recipes helpful to get all the nutrients I needed, stay full and reduce my carb intake.

Considering where you started your current BG is fantastic! I wish you all the best in improving further.
And of course if you continue to progress on your diet and physical activity, then stick to it as it is working for you. But if you do get stuck, give the lower carb approach a go, it might suit you as it did me.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic progress. What a Christmas present you gave yourself. One of the not just for Christmas but for life kind. Great job.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Congratulations, all your hard work is paying off. I'm into my eighth year of low carb and seventh year of nondiabetic HbA1c. I'm fitter and healthier than I have been since my teens and really wish that I had found a low carbohydrate way of eating much, much sooner. Keep it up!