Fatty liver concern

debs35

Hi all, hoping for some advice here.

Diet controlled T2 here. I recently had a liver health scan, it showed no cirrhosis, no fat on the liver, but I do have elevated enzymes.

Obviously I must have a fatty liver though since all T2 diabetics have a fatty liver. Can this be true given the scan results? I currently have a BMI of 18.5, and am currently doing a 4 day fast (no food, just water) to bring down my numbers more after going off track yesterday. I had a wholemeal baguette + a chocolate snack bar, which made me spike all night and gave me a FBS of 7.4 today, I have an A1C of 34 so need to get them down more.

My partner thinks this level of fasting is a bad idea and says I should eat more – am I right or is he ?

Thanks xx

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My partner thinks this level of fasting is a bad idea and says I should eat more – am I right or is he ?
With a BMI of 18.5 and a very much non diabetic hba1c of 34 I agree with your partner. You need to eat enough.
Sorry meant to say T2 diabetics xx (have updated post to reflect this also)
Not all T2's have fatty liver either.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had liver readings that have been different every time I have a full blood panel including fatty liver, liver function and lipids.
Because of my condition, I have to fast for blood tests.
I really don't think you have to be so drastic, especially with the long fasting.
And when you did eat it was bread!
And I have done the 5days fasting and I didn't have a problem with it, but I prefer to do intermittent fasting and only eat in a small window of a few hours for my nutritional needs.
I can do this, but maybe you can't, but the main issue is how to proceed?
Your Hba1c is good, in normal levels and the reading in the morning may be dawn phenomenon. But even if you are T2, reducing your carbs, portion size and doing a little bit more exercise, would be a better plan, than doing something extreme.

Finally a little tip, before your next blood tests, drink about two litres of water, this will help flush out your liver and kidneys.

Stay safe.

Reactions: aylalake

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But even if you are T2, reducing your carbs, portion size and doing a little bit more exercise, would be a better plan, than doing something extreme.

I wouldn't be reducing my portion size if I had a bmi of only 18.5. But I agree, fasting definitely doesn't sound like a sensible plan.

And Dr Google says that elevated liver enzymes can have multiple causes, including prescription medications and malnutrition/eating disorders.....

@debs35
It's very easy to blame diabetes (whether T1, T2 or another type) for any unusual health result, but it really doesn't have to be the case. What does your GP say about the elevated results?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, hoping for some advice here.

Diet controlled T2 here. I recently had a liver health scan, it showed no cirrhosis, no fat on the liver, but I do have elevated enzymes.

Obviously I must have a fatty liver though since all T2 diabetics have a fatty liver. Can this be true given the scan results? I currently have a BMI of 18.5, and am currently doing a 4 day fast (no food, just water) to bring down my numbers more after going off track yesterday. I had a wholemeal baguette + a chocolate snack bar, which made me spike all night and gave me a FBS of 7.4 today, I have an A1C of 34 so need to get them down more.

Thanks xx

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

What sort of diet do you adopt in general to manage your T2 when not fasting?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently have a BMI of 18.5, and am currently doing a 4 day fast (no food, just water)

Hi there, none of us can diagnose anything of course but this sentence alone causes concern for me. I know you are trying to get your numbers down but are you sure you are not starving yourself to achieve it? If your body thinks it is starving, it will attempt all sorts of efforts to stop that, none of which will help your glucose levels. If your overall health is being compromised then you won't be a healthy person regardless of whether your glucose levels are higher than you would wish, and with an hb1ac of 34, it could even be your body is fighting to stay at its own normal threshold. I agree with your partner 100%, I think you really need to speak with your GP. I'd think twice for now about eating fewer carbs and doing more exercise, especially if you are not replacing those carbs with plenty of fat/protein, etc.