Wondering if someone could help

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I'm type 1 and I find that if my blood sugars are low before a meal I'm not wanting to take the amount of insulin I need.. as I'm low and not sure if I should just eat and then take the insulin or take half and then once I've ate..take the remaining? What does everyone else do in that situation? Any suggestions would be grateful.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I treat the hypo first and inject for my meal and eat once I'm above 4 again.

Reactions: Cupcake29

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
As a general rule, if I'm low before a meal I eat some fast acting glucose that will take me up to a 'normal' level and then wait 15 to 30 minutes before eating and taking insulin. However I sometimes skip the insulin if I know that I'll be very active after the meal and the carbs in the meal are fairly low.
I don't think there's an easy, one size fits all answer to the question and it's best answered by personal experimentation and experience.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I don't think there's an easy, one size fits all answer to the question and it's best answered by personal experimentation and experience.

This. A small amount of carbs go a long way for me, so I personally might not treat with glucose unless seriously hypo, but just gobble my meal (particularly if I'm say 3.9 and drifting down slowly) but I definitely wouldn't inject with insulin while under 4.

eg This morning my cgm complained I was 4.4 when waking (not hypo but potentially heading that way) , so I had reduced insulin (I get dawn phenomena so need it even if I don't eat) and my normal milky coffee.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me it depends how low I am (and what direction my libre arrow is going in) and whether the food is in front of me or if it's going to be a few minutes or more until I'm going to eat. Honestly though, and I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but I usually eat a jelly baby or 2, delay the food if necessary for a few minutes and then bolus after I've started eating. In an ideal world I would always check my blood 15 minutes+ before I eat and that would give me time to properly treat the low/hypo but I don't :bag:

Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Prior to using the pump I would treat hypo/low with a few glucose tabs & deduct 15grams of carbs from meals carbs to calculate bolus

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
If I'm below 4 (but above 3.5), I eat fruit and wait until my blood sugars are rising to inject insulin for my meal.

Cupcake29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a general rule, if I'm low before a meal I eat some fast acting glucose that will take me up to a 'normal' level and then wait 15 to 30 minutes before eating and taking insulin. However I sometimes skip the insulin if I know that I'll be very active after the meal and the carbs in the meal are fairly low.
Thankyou for the reply. This has been helpful.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi all. I'm type 1 and I find that if my blood sugars are low before a meal I'm not wanting to take the amount of insulin I need.. as I'm low and not sure if I should just eat and then take the insulin or take half and then once I've ate..take the remaining? What does everyone else do in that situation? Any suggestions would be grateful.

Hi,

If I am low before any meal I treat first quickly with Lucozade and then when back up again which for me takes about 10/15 minutes I then carry on as normal with injection and then food.