"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband bought us one of the cheese ones, one to share between 3 of us! The cheese are very small and there are 9 flavours. Havent actually eaten any of them yet. Might wait for the weekend when we are all together.
It was a kind idea, but I think I prefer past years real Lindor one, where one chocolate every 3 days didn't feel too sinful

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I prefer past years real Lindor one, where one chocolate every 3 days didn't feel too sinful
For some reason I laughed at this. :p

Got our power bill yesterday $380.00, we are still in credit $400.00 after paying the bill. It would been more but I skimmed money out of the credit in October to buy a new phone.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a +ve covid case in youngest grandson's class but we're told he's low risk contact. Mum & Dad had to be tested but not us. We're apparently low risk too despite the fact I'm the one going back and forward to school. No idea what they're doing now. A year ago his class plus the classes with siblings would have been all self isolating for 2 weeks. Times change.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted the first and last verses of this song in the other thread, it's how I feel this morning.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
New I posted the first and last verses of this song in the other thread, it's how I feel this morning.
Hard choosing between the hug,heart and funny emojis, as I'm sorry it's one of those days for you but I love the song and it's very funny too!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a letter (not a phone call after all) from the surgeon's secretary at Raigmore hospital for 17th December. It doesn't specify if it is just for a consultation or for actual surgery. Tried phoning but they must be out for lunch so I'll try again this afternoon. Not at all sure how I'll get there. If I go with Neil it means an overnight at least for both of us. But I don't think DIL will be able to manage it with her new job just starting. We'll see. I'm sure we'll manage something.

That last storm did some damage to the gate of No 2 son's garden but it was not realised until the 2 biggest dogs discovered it by leaning on it. So, of course, both went out for a wander around the village. They came home soon enough but not before it upset someone along the village road who, after several days, called out the SSPCA inspector to complain. Our local SSPCA man is, if not a close friend, a well known acquaintance and was quite happy to accept the explanation for the great escape, especially since the gate has been fixed. But he said that the same complainant had complained about their free range hens complete freedom (they only go into the hen shed to lay eggs, on the odd occasion) and, as a result, the sheds are both a bit on the small side.

What we had not heard was that there is a bird flu order so that all hens have to be kept in. This has been in force since November so they have been illegally free ranging around the village for a month! As, I might add, have lots of other chickens around the village - it's quite normal here for hens to be genuinely free range. But theirs have been the object of a complaint so, if they can't keep them in they will have to be culled!

This is the result of people being afraid of 2 great idiot dogs, specially bred to be gentle and to rescue humans! Luckily last night was stormy and the hens all took shelter in the 2 little hens sheds, so meantime they are confined to spaces far too small really, but at least they won't be culled. My son can't get around to extending the sheds until Sunday because he works from before dawn to after sunset each day. I daresay working on Sunday will be an offence to someone as well, but it will be work of necessity, which is excusable under church rules.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just called Inverness. The surgeon wants to see me in the clinic to plan the surgery, not to actually do it. So, if I can get someone to fly with me, I will go for the one day this time. Only then will I find out how long I will have to stay after the surgery. Now, who to ask to go with me?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
DIL has volunteered to go with me, but that is not straightforward. No 2 son has to be at work long before Em goes to school (16 year old brother can't be relied upon to get himself up in time for school, never mind Em) and we would be halfway to Inverness before she has to go to school. So Neil is going to have to step up to the mark again and organise getting her out in time to walk to school, and to be here for her when she comes in from school. He's not used to being responsible for a child, and, to be honest, he's not the best of time keepers himself, but she won't cause him any problems. She has too much respect for him for that. She might, of course, raid the freezer and cupboard unless he stands over her to prevent.

Edit: Just discovered that there are no early flights on Fridays, so I can't get to the appointment and will have to try to reschedule it for another day. That throws it all up in the air again.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
More problems: the clinic that the surgeon wants me to attend is only held on Fridays. I tried rescheduling to a different day of the week (when there are planes) and that's not possible, apparently. His secretary will ask him what's to happen first thing tomorrow morning and get back to me. She suggested maybe he could just phone - which is what I asked for in the first place but apparently he's not keen on that. This, surely cannot be the first time someone from the Islands has needed to attend that particular clinic.

If we have to make it an extended visit, we will have to find somewhere to stay and in Inverness in the run up to Christmas, that is not going to be much fun. I say extended visit because, if they keep the appointment to 11.20 am, we will have to go over on Thursday and, if we are flying, make it back to the airport by 1 on the Friday. If we go by car, over on Thursday, appointment at 11.20 and back to Ullapool for the ferry by 1.15 - not doable, so a 2nd overnight on the mainland and come home on the Saturday ferry.

Makes me think I should just keep my lump!

Edit: belay all that. I was working to an old ferry timetable. It is just possible, as long as there are no delays due to roadworks or weather to make it by ferry and car, and back, if the hospital will reschedule the appointment to about 12 noon from 11.20am.

Just also discovered that there are no flights at all on Saturdays or Sundays!

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
She suggested maybe he could just phone - which is what I asked for in the first place but apparently he's not keen on that.
Can you ask why it's so important to meet in person? He might not be aware of the very complicated logistics.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's ironic that Annb is having such problems when on our local Facebook groups today there are many people bemoaning the fact they cannot get an appointment to see a doctor, and yet we live within sight and sound of the M25 in some of the most expensive areas of the country. Loads of transport options but nowhere to go to!

Hope you get it sorted soon @Annb xx

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you ask why it's so important to meet in person? He might not be aware of the very complicated logistics.

Apparently he has to examine me again, so I have to be there. Rescheduled the appointment for Monday 20th at 11.20 am, There should be a plane at the right time for that. Now back to seeing if DIL can take that day off to go with me.

Reactions: Antje77

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talked to my GP yesterday as I had showed her my bgl log book as I have never shown her, and said it it is all over the place at the moment. She told me not to worry over it at as my body is getting assaulted left right and centre by the cancer, CT scan dyes and barium meal.

I asked about blood tests hbai1c and all the other ones I get done now, she said come back in January for the SN Pathology request form.

She is more concerned with keeping me pain free from the colon cancer than for me to worry about some of my other health.problems. Her prescription is to buy a box of beer and a bottle of single malt whisky and enjoy the holiday.

I can eat a bit more carby stuff if I want as they will not kill me now.

I can see a drive out to Moore Park Beach will be on the agenda next weekend to the farms out that way that sell fresh lychees, white grapes, and more fruit that is coming into season here.

aJ8aMZy.jpg

Reactions: Antje77 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
She is more concerned with keeping me pain free from the colon cancer than for me to worry about some of my other health.problems. Her prescription is to buy a box of beer and a bottle of single malt whisky and enjoy the holiday.
Sounds like a rather sensible GP to me, as long as your BG isn't high enough to cause you direct symptoms.
Envious of the fresh fruit!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a rather sensible GP to me
She would be one of the best at the practise, the thirty years I have been going to it I have had four doctors, the original partner who retired a number of years ago was a great doctor that cared, the other two MEH!

My new doctor is great, she is a Master of Palliative Care according to the certificates on the wall in her room, and she has a real interest in her patients. I have no fear in asking for painkillers from her, as I did the the last GP I saw there. Her husband was the other partner who started the practise at Burrum Street.

I found out what the optional mask thingy on the text message was about. As the state border is opening op on Monday at 01:00 am, there is a fair chance of a influx of covid coming with the people from the south come here for xmas. All the doctors nurses and desk staff will be wearing them.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My new doctor is great, she is a Master of Palliative Care according to the certificates on the wall in her room, and she has a real interest in her patients. I have no fear in asking for painkillers from her, as I did the the last GP I saw there. Her husband was the other partner who started the practise at Burrum Street.
Perfect!
Having the right GP now is much more important than when you were a healthy spring chicken!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit of a rush this morning to get things done before our boiler service man came to see to our external boiler and so, turn off the water. Just before it got light, he called. The weather is just too bad today to be working outside, so he's called off and we'll have to arrange it for another day. It doesn't matter about a delay, the boiler is still working well. He's right, of course, it is very wet and windy out there. That's one problem with having the boiler installed outside, but it is a huge monster of a thing and there was no space inside the house for it.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The nurse navigator wanted to know what dressings the Blue Care nurses use when they come three times a week to do my legs. I supply stuff on this list from a medical supplier south of Brisbane which is the cheapest I can get with free overnight delivery.

Here's the list and prices

Medical Dressings ( Single Prices).

Protosan wound irrigation fluid 350 ml @ $21.65 *
Gauze pads 10cm x 10cm x 2 @ $0.20
Prontosan Wound Gel 50 grams @ $38.00 *
Aquacel Rope 2cm x 45cm @ $17.50 (on right foot only) *
Sorbect Compress x 9cm @ $6.88
Carboflex dressings 10 x 10cm @ $5.45
Cutilin 10 x 20cm dressing @ $1.45
Impervia absorbent dressing 10 x 20cm @ $0.50
Impervia combine dressing 20 x 20cm @ $0.45
Tubigrip compression stocking size D @ $2.15 per metre
Micropore surgical tape 25mm x 9.1 metre @ $1.27
Blue Abena bed protectors 40 x 56cm @ $0.30

* lasts for a while

I am hoping that she is going to pull a swifty with the base hospital that they will supply me with them.

1rzUcFU.jpg