Diabetes and fatty liver

Kathy Liu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
do housework!
Are fatty liver and diabetes two diseases that interact with each other?
(I accidentally saw it.)
upload_2021-12-7_15-33-18.jpeg

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plenty of us have reversed fatty liver by going low carb.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Are fatty liver and diabetes two diseases that interact with each other?
(I accidentally saw it.)
View attachment 52360

Not sure which comes first - kind of chicken and egg situation. I was diagnosed with fatty liver (and told there was nothing I could do about it) years before diagnosis with T2 diabetes. No medics made a connection between diabetes and fatty liver despite me reporting symptoms which I now know were very clearly diabetes. Then I didn't know. However, it now seems possible that I had gestational diabetes in the 1960's which didn't go away. So, which did come first? And did one cause the other, or was it a single cause for both?

Kathy Liu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
do housework!
Plenty of us have reversed fatty liver by going low carb.
I felt very bewildered. Thanks for the information you gave, it calms me down.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is often very difficult for medical advisers and general public to accept it is not fat consumption that makes people (and /or their livers) fat. It is the carbs, and highly processed foods that do that.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd love to see some good and reliable research that shows the connection between diabetes and fatty liver. T2 with a high BMI and hence insulin resistance may have a fatty liver caused by too many carbs, but that would typically be the cause and not the diabetes.

Madisons

In my situation, it is connected, as my A1c has been at 6.1 for the past 6 months, and then my GP saw that my liver enzymes were also up (?) and has led to fatty liver! I was so disappointed when he told me, since I have been working hard to remove all fruits, grains and legumes from my diet, and still have those numbers, including high LDL. I eat healthy (I thought), but maybe too much healthy carbs and fats (avocado, lots of nuts and seeds, slamon, sardines) and my liver is paying for it. I don't know what to eat anymore. Scared to touch eggs. I've lost so much weight which i did not intend to. I'm those skinny "fatty liver" people, with prediabetes, high LDL, and hypothyroidsm, peri-menopausal and osteopenia. I can't even eat something to help one condition, because that food might hurt & contradict the other conditions. It's so depressing. I don't even look forward to mealtimes anymore. It's all connected,all these autoimmune problems....sorry for venting again....

Reactions: aylalake

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is often very difficult for medical advisers and general public to accept it is not fat consumption that makes people (and /or their livers) fat. It is the carbs, and highly processed foods that do that.
Which is odd when they force feed geese grain for fois gras

Kathy Liu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
do housework!
In my situation, it is connected, as my A1c has been at 6.1 for the past 6 months, and then my GP saw that my liver enzymes were also up (?) and has led to fatty liver! I was so disappointed when he told me, since I have been working hard to remove all fruits, grains and legumes from my diet, and still have those numbers, including high LDL. I eat healthy (I thought), but maybe too much healthy carbs and fats (avocado, lots of nuts and seeds, slamon, sardines) and my liver is paying for it. I don't know what to eat anymore. Scared to touch eggs. I've lost so much weight which i did not intend to. I'm those skinny "fatty liver" people, with prediabetes, high LDL, and hypothyroidsm, peri-menopausal and osteopenia. I can't even eat something to help one condition, because that food might hurt & contradict the other conditions. It's so depressing. I don't even look forward to mealtimes anymore. It's all connected,all these autoimmune problems....sorry for venting again....
I'm so sorry, what you've been through is horrible, I'm sure this is not venting, and if possible, I am willing to listen to you more... Hopefully you and I will be better.