Using Fiasp on a pump?

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Morning all, is anyone using the Fiasp insulin with their pump? I understand that it's not recommended, unsure why, but that it is possible (if you make your case) to your consultant it can be approved. I'm on a Tandem control iq closed loop pump and am finding the whole give yourself a dose 20mins before eating thing quite a challenge. I usually don't know what I'm going to eat 20 mins beforehand, perhaps that's bad planning, but sometimes it's hard enough to eat at all. Any advice re: Fiasp, thanks.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been pumping with Fiasp for a couple of years. It has its quirks but it is better for me than NovoSluggish. I had no problem getting it. I asked my DSN and it was added to my prescription with no question about whether it was recommended or not.

Reactions: sallymac65

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
I have been pumping with Fiasp for a couple of years. It has its quirks but it is better for me than NovoSluggish. I had no problem getting it. I asked my DSN and it was added to my prescription with no question about whether it was recommended or not.
Very interesting to hear, thanks

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi sallymac65

I was told at a review appt in June this year that I could not use flaps in my Omnipod. I was told it was not approved and that was the end of the discussion. The Pump Team however have suggested it. Like you I find pre-blousing to say the least.

Good luck. I will watch this thread with interest

Reactions: sallymac65

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've used Fiasp in a pump for quite a while now. As In response says it has it's quirks but I've got better control on it. I always know what I'm going to eat before I eat. Was given it because Apidra wasn't controlling post meal spikes.

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi sallymac65

I was told at a review appt in June this year that I could not use flaps in my Omnipod. I was told it was not approved and that was the end of the discussion. The Pump Team however have suggested it. Like you I find pre-blousing to say the least.

Good luck. I will watch this thread with interest
Success at last! It only took two emails, that's what I call a result. Thanks for your comment @h884, glad to hear it wasn't just me having challenges in getting fiasp. I hope you have some luck soon.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
A few of the groups I follow say its generally OK.. some struggle getting past 2 days with the cannula so you team will need to allow for more than the standard amount

Some struggle with it not being as effective for basal... BUT the reason it's not recommended is the pumps have not been officially tested with it... in the same way they only recommend 2 days with the sets for humalog on the tandem.. as that's how it was tested

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been using Fiasp since June with a Medtronic 640G pump. It has definitely affected post meal peaks, but I’ve had to move onto metal cannulas, which are a pain. I had to change hospital to a new pump clinic to achieve this, as my previous clinicians just wouldn’t oblige. Main problem seems to be Fiasp is affected by heat, causing delivery issues. Proof: I went in a hot tub on Saturday night & was 13mmol overnight.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I'm using libre 2, and an omnipod with humalog

I'm going to start using Fiasp but keeping an open mind. Should I adjust my omnipod controller insulin duration?
Looking at the graphs they're both 4 hr insulins but Fiasp has a more aggressive curve.

lindaburner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s still 4hr duration with Fiasp, just keep an eye on your blood sugars!

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey it's a bit all or nothing isn't it!
Not quite sure what I think at the moment (3 days in) due an omnipod change so I'll stick with it and try to work with the quirks.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really not getting on with Fiasp at all

Couldn't get my sugars down yesterday, so increase basal and regular small bolus, led to plummeting in the small hours. Okay after breakfast then uncontrollable highs (20mmol) 2 hrs after a lunch.

I'll give it a couple more days but feel ill be heading back to humalog.

Do you have to amend carb/insulin ratio with Fiasp?

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going back to Humalog, Fiasp doesn't suit.

For me it doesn't generally seem to react any quicker, sometimes it does though, a bit random. I've upped my dose by 15% and still having trouble with high blood sugars.

Control much worse with Fiasp.

Robert Henderson

Morning all, is anyone using the Fiasp insulin with their pump? I understand that it's not recommended, unsure why, but that it is possible (if you make your case) to your consultant it can be approved. I'm on a Tandem control iq closed loop pump and am finding the whole give yourself a dose 20mins before eating thing quite a challenge. I usually don't know what I'm going to eat 20 mins beforehand, perhaps that's bad planning, but sometimes it's hard enough to eat at all. Any advice re: Fiasp, thanks.
If you are uncomfortable giving yourself a dose 20 mins before eating, there is also an option to do it within 20 minutes after starting a meal. This range can provide you with flexibility when taking your mealtime insulin. But it would be best if you talked with your health care provider to find the appropriate time to take Fiasp based on your individual needs and goals.

Robert Henderson

I'm going back to Humalog, Fiasp doesn't suit.

For me it doesn't generally seem to react any quicker, sometimes it does though, a bit random. I've upped my dose by 15% and still having trouble with high blood sugars.

Control much worse with Fiasp.
Humalog works for me as well. My friend was also prescribed Humalog, but it didn`t suit him, and he changed it to Fiasp.
Fiasp and Humalog are very similar in purposes and acting principle, but they cannot easily be switched between each other. We are all different, and everything is very individual. And I found a really informative article on this subject https://insulin.store/blog/what-are-the-differences-between-fiasp-and-humalog/. Humalog and Fiasp are both great, but you always need a professional doctor's consultation to know which one is best for your case.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The pharmacy are telling me they're struggling on getting humalog in 10ml vials.. 3ml pen fill cartridges otherwise I may head back to novarapid.

saruhbeau

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using fiasp in my pump for a couple of years and no problems. I find it works very well for me compared to novarapid or humalog! I had no idea it wasn't recommended in pumps until I swapped to tslim tandem and dexcom last month and my DSN mentioned it. Unless I run into problems I'm sticking with the fiasp.. I ran out of fiasp actually and had to use my spare humalog for a week and noticed my levels were yo young a lot more than they have since I started tandem with control iq.

Reactions: lindaburner

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm using Fiasp in a Combo pump, but looking to get either a tandem tslim or a Medtronic 780 next year, and was told if I got the tandem I wouldn't be allowed to use Fiasp, as the algorithm hasn't been tested on Fiasp. Fiasp has been tested in the Medtronic 780, so I can continue on it if I go down that route.

Reactions: lindaburner