Cold sensations in feet

Lbooker

Hi everyone, just started metformin 750 mg s/r this evening. I’m having a weird sensation in my feet like stabbing pains and they feel cold, is this a normal reaction?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, just started metformin 750 mg s/r this evening. I’m having a weird sensation in my feet like stabbing pains and they feel cold, is this a normal reaction?
Not that I am aware of and this is a little soon after starting to take them. You can read up side effects in the Patient Information Leaflet to see if it's on there but I suggest you give it a little time before making up your mind.

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pain and hot/cold sensations in the feet are symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage due to high blood sugar levels). This doesn't necessarily mean this is the cause of your difficulty, but it's a possible candidate given you have diabetes.

Neuropathy can develop quite quickly. Mine went from occasional and very mild pins and needles to very frequent and really quite painful in the space of about 12 months. Now that my BS is back within a normal range and under good control it's easing, slowly. Many others report similar improvements once BS control is improved.