Sorry for this question, but mould in toilet bowl?

rubecula

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I presume that this is due to excess sugar in my urine? If so is there any way to prevent it? Other that using a propriety toilet cleaner is there any better way of dealing with it? It appears 2/3 days after cleaning the bowl.

Thanks,
Robin

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I presume that this is due to excess sugar in my urine? If so is there any way to prevent it? Other that using a propriety toilet cleaner is there any better way of dealing with it? It appears 2/3 days after cleaning the bowl.

Thanks,
Robin
In the months before my diagnosis orange stuff grew in my toilet bowl. It went away after my diagnosis and lowering my blood glucose.

Reactions: rubecula

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
This was one of the indicators I got that I was peeing out glucose! Since my blood glucose has been under control it has not recurred.

Last edited:

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The black ring that develops in the toilet bowel is another indication that my blood sugar is too high, meaning that I am peeing syrup! When it does not develop, then my blood sugar is OK. A quick scrub (15 seconds) by the toilet brush gets rid of it for the next 3/4 days! The other solution is to bring my blood sugar back to control.

Also, I am using Jardiance resulting in the sugar content in my urine is higher than it would otherwise be.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We flush the toilet after use and have had no mould growing here. It gets scrubbed once or twice a week with Domestos bleach to keep the bugs away on the porcelain.

The toilet at work was / is the same except it was made out of stainless steel.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I use bleach tablets, bought from the shelf of big supermarket. Just drop one in to soak for few hours. Also use occasionally in sink, put it in the plug hole and let it slowly dissolve.

Edit: Have often felt that metformin was the culprit. So glad you posted @rubecula

Last edited:

rubecula

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your useful input. You have confirmed the cause and I'll try scrubbing the loo twice a week and see how that controls it.
Struma, just for information, we thought about bleach but on a non-diabetes website my wife looked at people were saying don't use bleach as that doesn't remove it but just turns it white.
However my thoughts are that bleach would kill it and then regular toilet cleaning with a brush would remove it.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not come across this issue myself, but for general use, white vinegar is pretty good, as is using soda crystals. One of the strongest cleaners I have used was some very cheap bath foam that was mostly sodium laurel sulphate. You wouldn't want it on your skin unless you had rhino hide, but it was a very good cleaner.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Put a couple of cloves of garlic in the bowl overnight.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

To be fair. if you live in a "hard water" area? It maybe the mineral deposits trapping the bodily stuff.
(You may also see a white build up on the element in an electric kettle too?)
Thus the mould or any form of discolouration in the toilet?

So removing the build up of minerals without damaging the surface maybe part of the answer as opposed to just "bleaching" the area periodically?

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's an old expression here in Australia when we have water restrictions:

If it's yellow let it mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down.

A quick scrub with a brush after every use, will stop any mould growing from any "skid marks" in the toilet.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If I'm not careful I get what is very similar to limescale but a daily squirt of harpic and gentle rub with the bog brush keeps it away