At what age were you diagnosed?

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just been diagnosed with T1 diabetes at the grand old age of 52, which seems old to me! I am trying to kid myself that I am going through some kind of second youth! Is this unusually old, or do you think this has been going on for some time? At what age were you diagnosed?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type1 can appear at any age, personally I was 2, but I know when I went on my areas versions of the DAFNE course they said that the oldest person they'd seen diagnosed was 96!

It used to be thought that you only got it when you were young and I think some still think that, but its just not true, you can be any age.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have just been diagnosed with T1 diabetes at the grand old age of 52, which seems old to me! I am trying to kid myself that I am going through some kind of second youth! Is this unusually old, or do you think this has been going on for some time? At what age were you diagnosed?

54 for me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel young now with my diagnosis at 39! :)

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Diagnosed at nearly 18 back in 1979, I know the difference between then and now is like night and day, not only in treatment but in attitude and knowledge , back then I remember doctor telling me that T1 normally happens between 16 and 24, as I said a lot has changed.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was 9.
My brother (not diabetic) took part in some research (maybe 15 years ago) as a sibling of a person with diabetes looking at genes and they told him if you got to 18 without a diagnosis it was pretty much not going to happen o_O

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I was 16 and that was 46 years ago , treatment has changed so much since then and for many years I didn't bother to look after myself , but here I am 62 years old and no complications and feeling great ,

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The current speaker of the House of Commons was diagnoses with Type 1 at 62 and Theresa May was diagnosed in her 50s.
Over 50% of people with Type1 are diagnosed over the age of 20 and one in five are diagnosed over the age of 40.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... Pretty much diagnosed on my 8th birthday.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Almost my 1st birthday in 1959.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
back then I remember doctor telling me that T1 normally happens between 16 and 24, as I said a lot has changed.
I remember being told it was "under 30" in the late 70s and I was diagnosed at 8 (waves to @Jaylee :)) in 1970. But having a late diagnosed T1 mum meant I got a very early diagnosis.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I remember being told it was "under 30" in the late 70s and I was diagnosed at 8 (waves to @Jaylee :)) in 1970. But having a late diagnosed T1 mum meant I got a very early diagnosis.
I also remember there only being type 1 and type 2

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 47, I had no idea you could be diagnosed as an adult and knew nothing about T1 diabetes!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I also remember there only being type 1 and type 2
and GD, but I think I was told that that would turn into T1 if you had 3 or more pregnancies (I guess pregnant women were too young to be T2 under the then definitions).

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
15 or 16 for me I can't remember exactly now, I am now 68 and problems are starting to arrive feet hands and eyes but nothing to bad at the moment