Toe nails not been cut

Deltic man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate being a Diabetic and having Cancer Injections. I totally hate very long cold winter nights, I don't do excersise as I am too laid back to care about it.
Hello to everybody who is on the forum. I need a question answering I am 67 years old and I have got Neuropathy I have no feelings in my toes or my feet but can someone tell me what can happen if I don't get my toe nails cut I haven't got any nails on my big toes they was removed about 2 years ago. Since this covid kicked in my podiatry appointments stopped I have tried to cut my nails myself but being rather over weight it's a struggle to do them I have got edema in my left leg and it is always swollen as is my left foot. But I haven't had my toe nails cut for about 4 weeks I know they are bent over the ends of my toes but can they cause me some serious trouble if they don't get sorted out. Any help would be much appreciated

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Try filing them. If they are too long, cut the external parts but don't touch the skin. Filing-- I know it's boring; just watch t.v. while you're doing it. :)

Reactions: zand

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello to everybody who is on the forum. I need a question answering I am 67 years old and I have got Neuropathy I have no feelings in my toes or my feet but can someone tell me what can happen if I don't get my toe nails cut I haven't got any nails on my big toes they was removed about 2 years ago. Since this covid kicked in my podiatry appointments stopped I have tried to cut my nails myself but being rather over weight it's a struggle to do them I have got edema in my left leg and it is always swollen as is my left foot. But I haven't had my toe nails cut for about 4 weeks I know they are bent over the ends of my toes but can they cause me some serious trouble if they don't get sorted out. Any help would be much appreciated
Have you tried contacting the podiatry service? In some places the NHS seems to have stopped doing routine work unless you specifically ask for it.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does your doctors surgery have a nurse that could help?

Reactions: EllieM

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am still getting podiatry appointments - they stopped last year and now they are less frequent but I'm getting my nails cut about every 4 months. By 3 months I can't get my shoes on if I can't file them enough between appointments.
However, I had an extra appointment this week as I'd ripped 3 nails and had a large bruise on one foot when I was seen last month, and even through I'd had them cut then she did them again yesterday.
I've been told not to cut my own nails but to try to file them between appointments - not easy as I have reflex syncope and arthritis in my hands but I manage a little some days.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was at the podiatrist on Wednesday, an appointment that had been requested when I was diagnosed in October last year, anyway, not that I was needing my nails cut, but the lady said they have now stopped cutting them, if people need to they would have to arrange and pay to get them cut themselves, but that may just be in my part of Scotland.
I get mine cut due to other conditions as well (syncope and arthritis) but was told never to cut my own toe nails because of diabetes, only to file them if I can.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its gotta be said I've never been told that, I'm expected to cut my own (or pay if I want someone else to)

I think it depends on the individual person rather than just having diabetes. I recall them saying to my Mum (whose toe nails were thick and pretty gross) not to try and cut her own because of the risk of cutting or infecting the skin. Someone like myself though, feet and nails the same as anybody elses, can easily cut them.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Its gotta be said I've never been told that, I'm expected to cut my own (or pay if I want someone else to)
It might be because I already had non-diabetic peripheral neuropathy when I was diagnosed with diabetes?

Croydonian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
processed foods, very noisy people, smoking.

I stopped going to the podiatrist at the start of Covid which was at the same time I was diagnosed with Cancer.
I was and am still very wary about going on public transport hence no visits to the clippers.
I manage to do mine myself but have to sit on the floor to do them, mostly I end up nicking the skin and being on blood thinners takes a while to stop.
I only have to cut mine about every 5 weeks.

Deltic man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate being a Diabetic and having Cancer Injections. I totally hate very long cold winter nights, I don't do excersise as I am too laid back to care about it.
I stopped going to the podiatrist at the start of Covid which was at the same time I was diagnosed with Cancer.
I was and am still very wary about going on public transport hence no visits to the clippers.
I manage to do mine myself but have to sit on the floor to do them, mostly I end up nicking the skin and being on blood thinners takes a while to stop.
Thank you Croydonian for the reply

Deltic man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was at the podiatrist on Wednesday, an appointment that had been requested when I was diagnosed in October last year, anyway, not that I was needing my nails cut, but the lady said they have now stopped cutting them, if people need to they would have to arrange and pay to get them cut themselves, but that may just be in my part of Scotland.
Thank you Briandoc for your reply I live near Glasgow but I would like my toe nails cutting but how things are at the moment I will leave it I don't want to bother my podiatrist as the NHS is rather busy.

Deltic man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Have you tried contacting the podiatry service? In some places the NHS seems to have stopped doing routine work unless you specifically ask for it.
I was at the Diabetic centre at my local hospital and I asked them if the podiatrist would cut my nails the lady I spoke too told me no we don't cut toe nails this department is for foot injuries only if you need your toe nails cutting then see the podiatrist who did them before, yes they was done at the Diabetic centre now they are telling me they don't do them.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @ Croydonian, my heart goes out to you and all the others who (like myself) have impaired glucose tolerance and are therefore at risk of bad consequences from any foot injuries. I too find cutting my thick and ridged toe nails awkward, due to my combination of short sight (with cataracts), rigid lower back and benign tremor in my right hand! I sometimes visit a very nice chiropodist, but the last time his charges had gone up to £40, so I won't be going every few weeks. Also like you I avoid public transport (and even walking when the streets are too crowded). Before the pandemic my local NHS had stopped cutting nails but volunteers had taken over. Perhaps when it is safer that will be resumed. Meanwhile, I have found very coarse and fierce nail files are helpful. They can sometimes be found on the High Street, but also at about half the price on Amazon. It is important not to pay too much, as they don't last very long.
Incidentally, I too am a Croydonian (or Croydonianne), but I left in 1963!

upload_2021-12-10_16-33-14.jpeg

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in Canada, nail clipping is also not covered by the health insurance plan. Until the covid lockdown, I used to go to a podiatrist/chiropodist every few months to have my toe nails clipped. For this service he would charge my $60 a shot.

However, since the lock down was eased I have been going to a nail salon/beauty parlor for a pedicure. Well, I am the only male in the nail salon, but wow, I am feeling wonderful after the foot massage (included in the pedicure), and best of all it cost me only $30!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
That's shocking!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was at the Diabetic centre at my local hospital and I asked them if the podiatrist would cut my nails the lady I spoke too told me no we don't cut toe nails this department is for foot injuries only if you need your toe nails cutting then see the podiatrist who did them before, yes they was done at the Diabetic centre now they are telling me they don't do them.
In England a few years back most local NHS groups stopped commissioning toe nail services for people without a medical need. Of course that depends on your definition of a medical need, and prevention being better than cure etc. Looks like the same applies in Scotland.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even in the care home where my dad was paying thousands of pounds a month he still had to pay £15 extra for the monthly visit from the podiatrist. He got one visit a year free from the NHS because he had a problem with his feet but they didn’t cut his nails, just did his annual diabetes check.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
He got one visit a year free from the NHS because he had a problem with his feet but they didn’t cut his nails, just did his annual diabetes check.

Interesting, when I lived in Australia my T1 diabetic "care plan" gave me 6 annual free visits to a podiatrist, of which I only used one as a diabetic foot check, as I didn't have any diabetic foot issues and have no problems with cutting my toenails. But I can see now why they offered so many appointments....

Seems counter productive to me that you get free care when you've injured your feet by failing to cut your toenails safely, but don't get the cutting help in the first place, though I appreciate that health services everywhere are under pressure.

Lots of virtual hugs to all of you suffering with nail issues.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to go to a podiatrist/chiropodist every few months to have my toe nails clipped. For this service he would charge my $60 a shot.
My podiatrist here charges $75.00 to check my feet and cut my toenails every 10 weeks on a health care plan. They used to bulk bill, but now you have to pay up front and get most of the money back from Medicare the next day.
Interesting, when I lived in Australia my T1 diabetic "care plan" gave me 6 annual free visits to a podiatrist,
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh, I only get 5 visits a year on my plan here in Queensland.