Crazy blood levels

Paynejack02

Hi Everyone
I have been in America for the past two weeks doing everything the same as I was before at home but doing at least 20,000 steps everyday. Before I came here my bloods were between 4 and 11 all the time and since I’ve been in the usa my bloods have rarely been below 15. I’ve been using rapid insulin for everything I’ve been eating and even after a full day in a water park with little food my bloods went from 14 when I woke up to around 21 when I left. It’s making me feel quite rubbish and whatever I’m doing or trying my bloods either stay the same or go higher and higher. Also my bloods tend to go higher in the heat and it has been high 20s most days.
Any advice or tips would be much appreciated
Thanks Jack

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

What's your insulin regime? If it's basal/bolus any chance your basal has gone off?

I'd expect more exercise to reduce your needs but having said that during a recent holiday (lots of walking) I too found my levels higher.

Stress put up levels, as does illness... No chance you're ill? (Asymptomatic covid? OK, clutching at straws there.)
Injection sites are OK?

If you're running that high are you checking for ketones?

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So you've tried correction doses? In your position I'd probably be adding in more insulin till I came down but you need to be very careful not to stack your bolus and have a massive hypo.

Sick day rules possibly apply here, assuming you're sure that your insulin hasn't gone off.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you were in the UK I'd probably be suggesting that you ring a medical team for help..... I strongly recommend you check for ketones, if you haven't got a meter that tests for them you should be able to buy urine testing strips from a chemist.

(Sorry, I shouldn't assume you are UK based.)

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone
I have been in America for the past two weeks doing everything the same as I was before at home but doing at least 20,000 steps everyday. Before I came here my bloods were between 4 and 11 all the time and since I’ve been in the usa my bloods have rarely been below 15. I’ve been using rapid insulin for everything I’ve been eating and even after a full day in a water park with little food my bloods went from 14 when I woke up to around 21 when I left. It’s making me feel quite rubbish and whatever I’m doing or trying my bloods either stay the same or go higher and higher. Also my bloods tend to go higher in the heat and it has been high 20s most days.
Thanks Jack
Are you double checking the Carbs as a lot of American packages are "Net Carbs" and also a lot of extra sugar added on things you would not believe should have sugar. I need to be super careful when I visit USA. The exact same dark chocolate I have in UK has twice the carbs in USA.

If you do not have a Keto tester. Go to a pharmacy and get Keto test strips or a Keto meter and test.

take care

Last edited: