Recommendations for bread

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with ceoliac disease in March. I was just wondering if anyone had come across a bread substitute, I've tried a few different gluten free breads but am desperate to find something else any ideas??

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are several recipes for 90 second bread, and I think they are all gluten free. best lightly toasted with cheese or chia jam.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with ceoliac disease in March. I was just wondering if anyone had come across a bread substitute, I've tried a few different gluten free breads but am desperate to find something else any ideas??

I eat a strict gluten free diet, but I just don't bother with bread or generally baked goods. @Robinredbreast is coeliac too, so she may have some idea for you.

candy13

Hi. I normally just read the forums but having coeliac disease and type 1 diabetes for 30+ years I have had my fair share of bread issues. I don't live in the UK anymore although do visit often but I now make my own bread and use lidl's gluten free bread mix - comes in both white and brown, it's the cheapest bread mix as far as I know and if you use unsweetened fizzy water you will get results almost as good as normal bakery bread. I also add flaxseed, and sunflower seeds as my preference and add extra leavening agents , great eaten on the day its made - otherwise cut when cold and freeze. Best not to refrigerate gf homemade bread as it will dry out easily. I also make Japanese milk bread, keto coconut bread, quinoa almond bread, pumpkin and ginger, and curry bread all gluten free.

My preferred brand loaf was always The Juvela Long Life Fibre Sliced Loaf but only available on bulk prescription (needed to get 8 loaves each time). If you want a bread that doesn't crumble look for xanthum gum or psyllium seed husks in the ingredients. I agree with TriciaWs all gf bread is best lightly toasted.

As a total substitute for bread you can try keto waffles as a change from bread just depends what you prefer. I don't do keto but have made waffles from bananna/egg or buckwheat flour or gluten free oats. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Reactions: Tillyao2

Tillyao2

Hi. I normally just read the forums but having coeliac disease and type 1 diabetes for 30+ years I have had my fair share of bread issues. I don't live in the UK anymore although do visit often but I now make my own bread and use lidl's gluten free bread mix - comes in both white and brown, it's the cheapest bread mix as far as I know and if you use unsweetened fizzy water you will get results almost as good as normal bakery bread. I also add flaxseed, and sunflower seeds as my preference and add extra leavening agents , great eaten on the day its made - otherwise cut when cold and freeze. Best not to refrigerate gf homemade bread as it will dry out easily. I also make Japanese milk bread, keto coconut bread, quinoa almond bread, pumpkin and ginger, and curry bread all gluten free.

My preferred brand loaf was always The Juvela Long Life Fibre Sliced Loaf but only available on bulk prescription (needed to get 8 loaves each time). If you want a bread that doesn't crumble look for xanthum gum or psyllium seed husks in the ingredients. I agree with TriciaWs all gf bread is best lightly toasted.

As a total substitute for bread you can try keto waffles as a change from bread just depends what you prefer. I don't do keto but have made waffles from bananna/egg or buckwheat flour or gluten free oats. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Tillyao2

Hi Candy13 - this is such a helpful and interesting reply. I have been coeliac for 34 years and diagnosed 4 week ago with type 1 so struggling to get my head round this at the moment! Regarding the bread though I definitely agree and Juvella is the only brand I have really ever liked, all others never really compared. I am definitely going to look at all the other suggestions you have put forward and get baking

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My recipe for low carb grain free bread:

2tbsps almond flour
1tbsp psyllium husk powder
1tsp baking powder
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
Seasoning to taste
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in whatever container you want the bread to be the shape of - it rises quite a bit.
Break eggs into the tub and mix thoroughly into a good batter.
Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.
Slice, toast, treat like normal bread.

5g carbs
17g fat
16g protein

Reactions: coby

Eayrin

My advice would be whatever bread you choose - toast it! Makes a huge difference. (I personally like Genius as a brand).

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will pass this on to my aunty she has just been diagnosed as type 2 but is coeliac and was told by her practice nurse to try brown sourdough but talking to other friends who are coeliac they said ' brown ' gluten free tends to be brown because of added sugars so might be better staying on her white sour dough.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
PSMF bread by Maria Emmerich

Cheese on toast:
upload_2021-9-7_0-21-54.png

Bacon and Salmon:
upload_2021-9-7_0-22-46.png

Seabass and Bacon:
upload_2021-9-7_0-23-54.png

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
My recipe for low carb grain free bread:

2tbsps almond flour
1tbsp psyllium husk powder
1tsp baking powder
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
Seasoning to taste
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly in whatever container you want the bread to be the shape of - it rises quite a bit.
Break eggs into the tub and mix thoroughly into a good batter.
Microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.
Slice, toast, treat like normal bread.

5g carbs
17g fat
16g protein
That sounds too good to be true! I must try it also!

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
I obtain via doctors prescription GLUTAFIN HIGH FIBRE LOAF, it's granary loaf and best to date. Can't buy it from stores but see GP. Tel Dr Schar tel 0800 988 2470 they'll probably sent a free sample [email protected]

Bash_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery
Bags normally date for 4 to 8 weeks OK without freezing

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coeliac here. I’ve tried every gf bread around but the best two bread products I’ve found are Schar white loaf and also their granary loaf is pretty nice, and bfree white muffins are lovely. Both vegan too. Now I’m low carb AND vegan, my bread of choice is Dillon’s keto chia and flax seed loaf. Not as nice as the Schar or bfree but will do in a pinch.