Alternative sweetners..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One tsp is 3.5 g of carbs I probably use 7g of carbs distributed in a whole low carb ‘scone’ recipe which makes at least 12 portions. I used to use a tablespoon of honey (which is slightly higher carbs than agave) but can’t use any honey without spiking so the nutritionist told me about agave as she said it suits many of her Type 1 patients.
I appreciate a small enough amount of anything is very small.

My point was if 3/4 of an item is carbohydrate it is a high carb item in and of itself, quantity not withstanding.

If someone is mislead into thinking this was a suitable replacement they could easily use a couple of teaspoons in each cup of tea they have, not unreasonably that could be up to 10 teaspoons a day, plus added to any baking etc.That’s up to 35 carbs a day, more than some of us have all day, and very different to a single spoonful in an occasional recipe.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I have to be careful as I tested myself the first few months, every day, and then once in awhile. I stay on the same foods so not much need but I still want to know in between HbAic labs, to be sure. I tried a little honey as I loved it so much, never did use a lot, and never in baking, just tea etc. If I remember right, it was like a quarter or half tsp of honey, and it really spiked my bg so I can't have it at all. Since @Hertfordshiremum mentioned Agave "hardly raises" BG, I would avoid it. I have to read posts again because it's too east to miss something important I need to know.

I am probably more careful than I need to be, because I know my bg does fluctuate a little here and there. It's must only come from the carbs in my vegies though as I do know sugars other than those types.
Thanks to anyone though that has posted, I do appreciate ALL the info given ;)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know my bg does fluctuate a little here and there. It's must only come from the carbs in my vegies though
Don’t forget it’s not just food that causes fluctuations. Sleep, illness, hormones, stress all can be responsible too

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok yes, that's true, and I did forget so thank you ;)

D

Deleted member 543160

It's an important point and well worth remembering. For me the main reasons for higher blips in my HbA1c results have definitely been due to non food issues.

AGC_68

Agave is not a good table sugar substitute if your aim is to avoid all sugar and replace it with a near zero calorie substitute. It has more fructose in it than regular sugar which impacts the liver in a manner that is not good for T2 diabetics. Just as many calories as regular sugar. The fructose proportion makes it sweeter than regular sugar so you might use a little less when sweetening with it than if you used regular sugar. But it is still sugar. If you use it as a substitute when making desserts, you'll end up with a high sugar (and higher fructose) dessert.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's an important point and well worth remembering. For me the main reasons for higher blips in my HbA1c results have definitely been due to non food issues.
I haven't tested my BG after or during a bad panic attack, or I think more of an anxiety attack. I get way to freaked out over silly things. Like dropping something because I've become so clumsy in my "older" age. I know my hands have some arthritis, probably the reason, but I don't cut myself any slack ;( If someone else did that I wouldn't beat them up, so why me :wacky:

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Agave is not a good table sugar substitute if your aim is to avoid all sugar and replace it with a near zero calorie substitute. It has more fructose in it than regular sugar which impacts the liver in a manner that is not good for T2 diabetics. Just as many calories as regular sugar. The fructose proportion makes it sweeter than regular sugar so you might use a little less when sweetening with it than if you used regular sugar. But it is still sugar. If you use it as a substitute when making desserts, you'll end up with a high sugar (and higher fructose) dessert.
I've been reading labels on foods for years, but only in the last am I watching for things like fructose syrup etc. I've noticed how little sweetner I use, when baking as well. For example, my Cinnamon Almond Bread I like to make about once a month. I first just made the Almond Bread recipe but wanted to add cinnamon, so I did with I think the scoop is 1/32 of tsp. That, small amount made the cinnamon just sweet enough. That's about 1 tbsp of Cinnamon. I do notice how I can overuse the stevia and that's when I get that aftertaste in my coffee, or the berries I put in my yogurt. So I've cut way back, and all is still ok and I realize I just don't need that much of it.

Reactions: AGC_68