Could someone explain these readings please

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For the last 3 weeks I’ve had readings of around 8 first thing in the morning. Previous to this they were around 6. Readings after breakfast are now 9 whereas before they were 7, readings throughout the day haven’t changed. Last nights meal was 6.2 pre meal at 6 pm, 9.4 at 8pm , I did half an hour of hard exercise. Then rechecked at 10pm 6.5. This morning my sugars are 7.4. Breakfast and lunch never changes, dinner is low carb. Type 2 controlling by diet. Why are my readings going up overnight?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Specifically, fasting readings (like first thing in the morning) are usually raised due to a liver dump where the liver increases the amount of sugar in the blood anticipating the energy requirements for someone who just woke up. As to the other readings changing, I can only suggest it might be due to a diet change and you would know more about that than me.

Reactions: Numan and Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You could be experiencing what is called DP or dawn phenomenon. It's a release of hormones getting ready to awaken for the day and usually occurs between 4:30-6:00 am. Your blood sugar goes up and usually normal people make insulin that combats it. A type 1 is lacking insulin and a type 2 doesn't utilize it well. And because of those hormones it also makes you more insulin resistant for a few hours after you get up. You can tell if that's what is causing an issue by awakening at 4 am and testing to see if you are "normal".

As a type 1 we take more insulin for it, either through a pump at night or by a shot first thing upon arising. When I was misdiagnose as a type 2 someone suggested I eat something small before bedtime to help and it did help for a while. Others might have other suggestions. I think you have to experiment to see what might help with you.

I get DP off and on, also FOTF sometimes. FOTF is a rise right after you get up. I have an insulin pump setting that is higher to switch to when needed. But I do just abstain from eating in the am as anything I eat I overreact in blood sugar response so it's just easier to wait until lunchtime for me.

I also want to add that helping my thyroid to get to better levels really helped with my huge DP issues. I used supplements to do so.

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for reply’s, diet is constant (breakfast and lunch) 30g carbs for both. I suppose it’s the sudden change which is concerning, I will keep an eye on my readings to see how they change, but thanks for explaining what might be happening

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it’s the sudden change which is concerning,

Is there anything else that's changed recently? Have you had a vaccination? Been sleeping badly? Any new/unusual stressors in your life - I find anything like that can easily send my numbers wobbling upwards.

It's not just about what you eat, the body is oh so helpful in making extra blood sugar if it thinks you need the boost ... And when I say 'helpful' I mean blasted annoying at times.

Reactions: Numan and Marie 2

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my covid booster and flu jab just before it went up but that was three weeks ago, but that would explain the high readings. Thanks for replying

Reactions: Marie 2

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I had an operation 5 weeks ago and I’m now 16 in the morning and 19 to 20 throughout the day, I stopped testing during my recuperation as I was in so much pain I ate what I liked (still sensiblish), figures don’t seem to be coming down

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Eating what you wanted could have magnified your insulin resistance and you might have to get really strict about what you eat to try to see if you can change it. Some type 2's need some insulin at least temporarily to help at certain times.

It can also depend on if you are taking any medications. Certain medications, like steroids can cause high blood sugar. Steroids can cause insulin resistance even for a little while after you have stopped. So if you are on any medications you might want to check to see if it's one of the side effects.

But I don't know how long you have been diagnosed as a type 2. It's also possible you are really a type 1. 35% of type 1's are misdiagnosed as a type 2 at first. Unfortunately it's too common still. Diet change and exercise can help at first because you still make some insulin for a while and getting type 1 as an adult is usually slower progressing so it can take years to happen. I am wondering if the surgery and any changes caused a sudden/quicker progression.

So if your normal solves aren't helping and things don't make sense you could be a type 1 instead. I'm not saying you are, just that it's a possibility. You would need an antibody test, if positive that's a sign of being a type 1. Also a C-peptide test. That tells how much insulin you are making. Low or low normal is a sign of being a type 1, because you are not making enough insulin. High or high normal is a sign of being a type 2, because you still make insulin, you are just not utilizing it well.

Those are high numbers and I would contact your diabetic team to get some help.

Reactions: Numan