Goid morning everyone happy friday
FB_IMG_1639140175410.jpg

Reactions: Japes and becca59

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
One of those days where I seem to be more sensitive to insulin. I had to eat extra almost every time I dosed for food. I always hate that. When I was at home it was pineapple which I love, but in the car when I got a spinach macadamia milk smoothie it ended being candy. I'm not sure if it's because the last couple of days my DP and FOTF have completely disappeared. Or if it's because I upped my time on my exercise bike at a harder level. Or neither.....because who knows?

The smoothie I get I absolutely love lol..........I always get two of them and down it before I get home. It makes a nice meal. It has macadamia nut milk, banana, almond butter, spinach and maca. It is also supposed to have agave, but I get it without it. For some reason it hits the spot and I consider it good for me so I don't ever feel guilty. Usually I can dose for 15 carbs when I drink it and it works out really well.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And.... that's that good, but incredibly exhausting, term over and done with. Who knows what next term will bring - but we are as prepared for it as we can be so had no qualms about just "looking busy" if anyone official-looking wandered by and doing very little other than what we had to for the four hours we were in yesterday.

I haven't moved much since returning home at 14.30 yesterday, went to "inactive" mode for the evening meal insulin, which was kind of a mistake as I then had a rare drop below 3.0 whilst attending to changing the duvet cover. Clearly a very dangerous activity! I ignored the subsequent middle of the night 27.9 as it dawned on me hand washing had not taken place since grabbing the necessary Lift tablets, which can be a bit powdery, and the morning number was as expected. Just now annoyed it's on the meter

Have concluded my natural hermit mode is the best way to spend the next two weeks, other than necessary shopping trips at, hopefully, quiet times. Oh, and organ playing. But, who knows if what is planned in the way of extras is going ahead, but I won't be sorry if it doesn't.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Marie 2 I feel your pain, the amount of jelly babies downed over the last three nights is mind boggling. Have reduced the Tresiba, but am not expecting the results to filter through until tonight. I was ready to dump the Libre reader out of the window. DP and FOTF also missing without trace. Grrr!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Still dark here but looks like we have ditched the fog. A few bits to do today and then 4 year old Grandson for a couple of days. His excitement should get us in the festive mood. Plan to make gingerbread men with him, amongst other things.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Still dark here but looks like we have ditched the fog. A few bits to do today and then 4 year old Grandson for a couple of days. His excitement should get us in the festive mood. Plan to make gingerbread men with him, amongst other things.

Scrap that! A visitor took covid into their house no grandson to make gingerbread men with and no Christmas dinner with them. Cannot risk it. Good job the hubby and I are happy with our own company.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sorry @becca59. That's utterly rubbish for you all.

I've managed the main shopping trip and just trying to psych myself up for a walk ending at the 2nd most favoured shopping area later in the afternoon where the last items are hopefully to be found. (Lentils, a single pint of milk, and gluten-free treats. I think the copious amounts of Pepsi Max will be gathered in as I'm out walking in the week between now and Friday.

We had our carol service last night... possibly our worst turnout ever, for which I was grateful for many reasons. I ended up having to take my mask off to sing, though, having agreed with everyone in the morning we needed to keep masks on for singing. I'm a reasonably well-trained singer, had tested out the "Can I sing at a decent volume and not blow out a candle?" theory, (only if I wasn't concentrating) and hiding behind the organ, I am a decent distance from everyone, which helped in my mind, but I am absolutely dreading the thought of next weekend and the service on Christmas Eve which is mostly children, followed by Midnight Mass, which is all people who only come to church once a year, (other than me the vicar and A.N.Other from the congregation), then Christmas Morning which is a "Who knows?!" in a good year. Sunday Morning is going to be even more of a "Who knows?!"

Normally, I really don't fuss about the occasional attendees turning up, happily welcome everyone, work hard behind the scenes to make the logistics easy for these occasions, and am usually very pleased to have my once-a-year catch up with those I know, but this year....!!!

Reactions: karen8967

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello hello, I came by to wish everyone a lovely Christmas.

I’m not doing too well with diabetes and pumping, I’m shocked that I have 1 year and a month left - time has gone quick!
With CGM, I’m doing okay, but set changes leaves me high for too long. Just being at 14-15mmol for 6 hours makes me feel awful :(

My hospital requested a blood test but I’m assuming my hba1c is super high, and I’m not receiving much help from them since covid struck :(

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mungobean has posted a thread looking for people who have a diabetic cat:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/anyone-got-a-diabetic-cat.185584/#post-2469750
I'm sure someone on this thread had one, but I can't remember who it was, and 'cat' is too short a word for the search bar.

She is so good these days, bless her; I just feel so bad injecting her twice a day, but at least the needles are fairly tiny. I must ask the vet whether there is a feline concept of type 1 / type 2. She only eats cat food, so it can hardly be a lifestyle thing?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello hello, I came by to wish everyone a lovely Christmas.

I’m not doing too well with diabetes and pumping, I’m shocked that I have 1 year and a month left - time has gone quick!
With CGM, I’m doing okay, but set changes leaves me high for too long. Just being at 14-15mmol for 6 hours makes me feel awful :(

My hospital requested a blood test but I’m assuming my hba1c is super high, and I’m not receiving much help from them since covid struck :(

Hi, seasons greetings back atcha..

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting on with your pump.. you must have not long had it when we met in the beginning of 2020?

Reactions: MeiChanski

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@becca59 I am sorry about not spending time with your grandson. I know you were looking forward to it. Maybe you can make Christmas day a week after? Decor could still be up and make cookies etc. Your grandson will still think it's a blast. One year my in laws had gone up north for Christmas and we all just got together the next week. Our niece still had a blast opening her presents and everyone enjoyed the feast! Not the same, but it worked.

@MeiChanski I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it. I have an Omnipod but it works best when I automatically give myself a half unit after I change it out. It feels like it works much better.

@Japes Yes, That would be a little off putting because basically you are seeing strangers once a year in a gathering situation. Plus children just don't think about things sometimes. So definitely daunting.

@Mungobean I had a diabetic dog, not cat. Dogs almost always get type 1 and cats get type 2. I don't know though if there is some crossover. There were some diabetic dog FB sites. I'm sure there are some for cats too? But be careful as it great place to learn as a beginner all the ins and outs, and the helps, but sometimes they are set in the original founders ways? So one site was for people that didn't test and if you mentioned testing you got chided, another you couldn't mention a Libre on your dog they would have a fit as it not being accurate etc..............but they usually have some good tips.

Given that, cats can wear a Libre if you can afford it. There are videos on utube to show how to apply it. A veterinarian still has to prescribe it here in the US. I found it invaluable to keep track of my dogs BG levels. There are at least a couple of cats on our island that use a Libre. I know that because their moms were picking up the sensors from the same place I did. A couple of years ago, there were only a few of us that put Libres on their dogs, now it is already much more common and I guess they covered the topic at a veterinarians yearly meeting.

I always used to tell people not to feel bad about injecting their dogs, you are saving their life. I inject myself and while it can smart sometimes, the choice is life!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes @Marie 2 we actually had a family Christmas last year on 17 May. My husband and I are quite happy on our own, but after last year it would have been quite nice to see them Christmas week. Anyway, we intend to reinstate our lengthy daily walk to get the endorphins buzzing, cook lovely meals and play lots of our daily game of Rummikub.

AlexMac

Does anyone else suffer from a rising high?
I find when i do a BG reading when i wake up and its 6 - by the time i get to work 2 hours later its 14 on a sharp increase! So having to inject a few units of noo rapid without eating, assuming my body is giving me glucose to wake up with. Is this normal?

RVW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else suffer from a rising high?
I find when i do a BG reading when i wake up and its 6 - by the time i get to work 2 hours later its 14 on a sharp increase! So having to inject a few units of noo rapid without eating, assuming my body is giving me glucose to wake up with. Is this normal?

Hi @AlexMac,

I have had this happen to me as well quite regular as i get up for work 3 hours before i need my breakfast insulin but i just keep a close eye on my blood sugars through the morning and if it starts to rise then i’ll take 1 or 2 units to stop a high reading before breakfast then readjust my insulin for my breakfast and things normally steady themselves out.