Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else suffer from a rising high?
I find when i do a BG reading when i wake up and its 6 - by the time i get to work 2 hours later its 14 on a sharp increase! So having to inject a few units of noo rapid without eating, assuming my body is giving me glucose to wake up with. Is this normal?
Yes, completely normal!
It's called Foot on the floor (Google it), and it's your friendly but stupid liver wanting to help get you going for the day by giving you a kickstart of energy by way of glucose.

Many of us have found we need some insulin for it, I usually inject for it before getting out of bed.

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

AlexMac

One of those days where I seem to be more sensitive to insulin. I had to eat extra almost every time I dosed for food. I always hate that. When I was at home it was pineapple which I love, but in the car when I got a spinach macadamia milk smoothie it ended being candy. I'm not sure if it's because the last couple of days my DP and FOTF have completely disappeared. Or if it's because I upped my time on my exercise bike at a harder level. Or neither.....because who knows?

The smoothie I get I absolutely love lol..........I always get two of them and down it before I get home. It makes a nice meal. It has macadamia nut milk, banana, almond butter, spinach and maca. It is also supposed to have agave, but I get it without it. For some reason it hits the spot and I consider it good for me so I don't ever feel guilty. Usually I can dose for 15 carbs when I drink it and it works out really well.

I think because youve upped the exercise you need to lower long acting (im no expert though) if i exercise i adjust my long acting by 1 or 2 units and that normally helps with the constant lows!

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@AlexMac It sounds like FOTF, (Foot On The Floor). Similar to DP, (dawn phenomenon). DP is a rise in BG level before you wake up. It's caused by a rise in hormones that releases blood sugar from the liver to get ready for the day. FOTF is that happening after you wake. I get DP or FOTF sometimes and I have a pump so I have a boosted level of insulin for an hour after I get up. In some people it happens right when you wake up for others like me there can be a delay. A "normal" makes insulin to deal with it. If you are on MDI, some people automatically take some insulin when they see the increase starting. This also causes insulin resistance for a few hours because of the hormone releases. My BG levels overreact to eating in the am so I just avoid it, it's easier for me.

But it could also be your basal. Our basal insulin needs vary throughout the day, on a pump it's easy. You can have a different basal rate throughout the day. On MDI sometimes you can split your shot into two doses or change the timing of your dosing. I think @hh1 just had a talk with her diabetes nurse about changing the timing to help with the pre lunch spike she was having.

Last edited:
Reactions: hh1 and Antje77

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@AlexMac It sounds like FOTF, (Foot On The Floor). Similar to DP, (dawn phenomenon). DP is a rise in BG level before you wake up. It's caused by a rise in hormones that releases blood sugar from the liver to get ready for the day. FOTF is that happening after you wake. I get DP or FOTF sometimes and I have a pump so I have a boosted level of insulin for an hour after I get up. In some people it happens right when you wake up for others like me there can be a delay. A "normal" makes insulin to deal with it. If you are on MDI, some people automatically take some insulin when they see the increase starting. This also causes insulin resistance for a few hours because of the hormone releases. My BG levels overreact to eating in the am so I just avoid it, it's easier for me.

But it could also be your basal. Our basal insulin needs vary throughout the day, on a pump it's easy. You can have a different basal rate throughout the day. On MDI sometimes you can split your shot into two doses or change the timing of your dosing. I think @hh1 just had a talk with her diabetes nurse about changing the timing to help with the pre lunch spike she was having.
Well remembered @Marie 2. @AlexMac I split Lantus am & pm, about 10.30 and 22.30. I was spiking late morning and my nurse suggested I bring the am timing forward, so I now go 7.30 and 19.30. Much better am results; I always check before bed and there may be a slight late evening rise but I'm happy to adjust for that (because it's also sometimes due to slow-acting food) and it's less than the am one and easier to adjust for.

This T1 game's no picnic; there's a lot of figuring ou to do to find out what works for each of us, and what does work doesn't always, as obviously in my case, stay constant. There's help out there - especially on here if you don't have the kind of quality HCPs that I luckily do - and I've learned, after 30+ years, to ask for it rather than sitting around angsting because somethings' not working. Good luck!

Reactions: RVW and Antje77

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1639775556094.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, hope you had a lovely Christmas day and enjoy the rest of the holiday! I don't like being first, where's @karen8967?
An especially happy Christmas to all of you working in the health and care services, hoping you get the rest you need and if you're working through the holiday, thank you!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
We gave both our dogs a couple of new toys. They have to slide the boxes open to get the treats. The first day she needed help and she actually pulled out some of the green pieces to get to some of the treats. So the next day I took a couple of them out to make it easier. She promptly slid everything and had them all eaten within 15 minutes lol. So today I put all the pieces back in and she knows already how to slide it with her paw and nose, besides also pulling some of the green pieces off herself again.

So now we will have to graduate to the locks to slide open so it's not as easy. And then the middle which is the hardest. The other dog got an easier slide toy and has that figured out too!

upload_2021-12-26_21-59-42.png

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all. Yet another foggy, damp, miserable day here. It has put paid to the lovely walks we were doing the week before Christmas. It is just too muddy.

Reactions: karen8967