New cheaper testing kit and strips

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
iHs said:
Not sure where on the forum I should post this but

A new to the market bg monitor is being offered by the name of SD Codefree Bg monitor - it is on amazon and ebay. Seems to have good reviews so far and the important bit is that 50 teststrips are just £4.99 so for everyone who feel that they need more test strips than a GP is willing to prescribe, the tables are turning me thinks :)

xyzzy said:
Thanks! Have just bought one off eBay, the kit with monitor + 10 strips + 10 lancets + additional 50 strips + P&P £17.95. I'll run it alongside my One Touch Ultra meter to test it out.

Notice you can get the strips for £4.99 / 50 as well.

Probably worth a new topic I thought, thanks iHs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
£4.99 is probably a true reflection of the cost of the strips, hope the other manufacturers cut their prices to compete.....wishful thinking!

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, this would save me a fortune! I go through 2 boxes of strips a month, and even if I get them off ebay it still cost me around £30, which is money I really can't afford to be spending. I could get the same amount of strips for half the price!! :D

I hope this isn't just some sort of introductory offer, and they'll end up putting the strip prices up after 6 months or something.

I have to agree with you noblehead, if this company can sell strips at this price, why can't all the others? :eh:

iHs

I hope the reviews for this meter are genuine as I'm going to get one for myself as well.

I am lucky at the moment that because I use a pump I am able to get 300 strips per month. Although this sounds like an awful lot, I do at times test my bg levels anything between 8 - 16 times a day especially if I find that I need to test because my bg results are going a bit wonky and then I can find out whether I need to alter my basal or alter my carb ratio. Without sufficient strips Im not able to find out.

I hope that once this bg monitor catches on through word of mouth then most people would be able to afford to buy 100 per month fairly easily and once Gps find out about it, then they will have no excuse at all to restrict.

What will hopefully happen here is that the market leaders will have no choice but to lower the prices they charge.

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely ihs, that's what usually happens isn't it. One company lowers it's prices and the others tend to follow, they've no other choice. Why would people continue to buy overpriced products when cheaper products of equal quality are available?

I'm probably going to use my Accu-Chek meter along with this new one for a while, just to make sure I'm getting comparible results before I switch to it permanently. I have to say though, I've grown quite attached to my little nano 'cos it's quite cute and dinky :) , but if it will save me £15+ a month, then there's no competition really.

Thanks very much for pointing this new meter out here, I was just about to blow another 15 quid on ebay, glad I saw your post first :thumbup:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Thanks for this xyzzy I have just put in a script for a box of Accu Chek Aviva test strips and if I get the bad news which I am half expecting having read all the threads on here about strips being stopped for T2's I shall be buying one of these bad boys :thumbup:

SparkJack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the info. I too will be buying! Much cheaper for me.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sid Bonkers said:
Thanks for this xyzzy :thumbup:

Hey Sid don't thank me it was iHs who originally posted and found the meter. :clap:

I have ordered one so i'll post back on how good / accurate it seems but I doubt it will turn up until late next week.

Hope it will drive down the price of other manufacturers strips so a price war starts up.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
xyzzy said:
Sid Bonkers said:
Thanks for this xyzzy :thumbup:

Hey Sid don't thank me it was iHs who originally posted and found the meter. :clap:

I have ordered one so i'll post back on how good / accurate it seems but I doubt it will turn up until late next week.

Then thanks iHs for the original find and you for the reposting, be interesting to know about accuracy although no two meters every seem to give the same reading in my experience. My prescription should be available around Tuesday so will post whether I still get them for nix 8)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A quick update on the SD meter.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the meter but for some reason I just don't like it. It maybe there is an occasional duff strip that for what ever reason wants to only give the reading 7.5! when the One Touch says low 5's but apart from that it seems to be usually within -0.3 to +0.7 of the One Touch so at its extremes it can give you a reading of 1 different. If it is your only meter I don't think it would be a problem.

I am however beginning to see why some DSN's may recommend not testing as to be honest I've now stopped and gone back to just testing with the One Touch because I think the phrase is "it was doing my head in". :crazy:

I never dreamt that simply testing with two meters that gave roughly the same results could be so stressful. At some point yesterday I had to stop myself after doing the same test 5 times. What a weird and unnerving response. It got so stressful that my fasting BG's have actually risen quite considerably.

Today rather than doing my normal routine I have only tested using the One Touch and only when I got up and before and after my main meal. I chose close to zero carb meals for breakfast and lunch. I have now hopefully unwound and had a lovely steak, peas, stilton and those really big mushrooms for dinner followed by my normal fresh fruit salad.

Good luck all.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I spotted the Codefree meters a while back and got one. It gave ridiculously high readings, so after some debate with the supplier[who tried to be helpful, but it didn't improve!]
Back went everything
Hana

Grazer

susanmanley said:
I may sound daft but can you buy lancets for meter or do you have to get through doctors?
You can buy boxes at the chemists, only pennies per lancet. Have the name of the type of lancet you want, although I think they're fairly standard now