Alzheimer’s being called type 3 diabetes

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas

Long time no discussion, but I found this on instagram and it’s quite an interesting way of putting it.

Any thoughts?
IMG_6236.jpg

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
'Ways to prevent cognitive decline'????

Don't I wish!! I'm type 1 so hubby also follows my low carb/no sugar scheme, we're both retired with no stress and get plenty of exercise. The only thing he suffers from is his quality of sleep is c**p and always has been BUT he's just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.

Just wish it had been that easy :(:(:(

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... plus feed the brain ketones as a fuel instead of glucose so parts of the brain are not starved of energy and can function more normally ;)

Reactions: jjraak

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas

Long time no discussion, but I found this on instagram and it’s quite an interesting way of putting it.

Any thoughts? View attachment 52592

Hi,

Yep. Some sort of insulin resistance regarding the brain? Read this a few years back whilst reading up getting my head round my mum's Alzhiemers diagnosis.

According to the HCPs there was nothing in in their "handbook" regarding my mum's lifestyle to suggest why.?
Now I know my mum pretty well. She'd been a vegetarian for 40 'd years?
The first thing I noticed something was wrong, was when she her diatary choice changed to meat on the menu.

Since the advent of a more varied diet. Her Altzhiemers hasn't progressed.

D

Deleted member 543160

I've seen elsewhere in my Google wanrderings other probably more reputable sources suggesting that that Alzheimers may be related to insulin resistance.

I know for a fact that my brain runs far better on ketones than purely on glucose, as I spent around 5 years as a high carb eating brain fogged zombie. and I actually have my diabetes diagnosis and resulting low carb/keto diet to thank for giving me a clear head again..

Reactions: jjraak

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same as robbity2 i been in brain fog for maybe upto 20 yrs (taking being over weight as a metabolic problem) the past 5 months on carnivor diet and i can think clear again and wont be going back if i got anything to do with it :)

Dark Horse

This article https://www.endocrineweb.com/profes...ons/alzheimers-disease-really-type-3-diabetes is entitled, "Is Alzheimer’s Disease Really Type 3 Diabetes?" and includes this quote:-

"Endocrine Web posed this question to Huntington Potter PhD, Director of the University of Colorado Alzheimer’s and Cognition Center. This was his answer:

“It has been known for some time that type 2 diabetes is associated with an increased risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. We believe that it is possible that the decline in insulin sensitivity and sugar metabolism in Alzheimer’s brains may be an effect of the disease, rather than a cause.”

That leaves us with the notion that dementia associated with diabetes might be a consequence of the peripheral disease, thus starting the cycle with insulin resistance, whereas AD may start the cycle when toxic Ab fragments are formed."

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have evidence from Banting's work that Low Carb diets can be effective in treating epilepsy. Here is one study that looks at using keto diets to treat alzheimers
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC6720297/
However, there are rumours that alzheimers may be diabetes related, as with other demntia related conditions, but this is not yet established. There are also connections to some forms of cancer that also respond to a keto diet. But it is not proven that it is the carb content rather than the use of the alternate fuel alone that is the key.

I see no linking any of these conditions to either the autoimmune version of diabetes or the metabolic syndrome variants of diabetes to make the full association between them.
This is the closest I could get
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23627981/