Type 1 Blood sugars rise as soon as I wake up?!?!

olinmonsoon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,

This is my first post. Type 1 Diabetic since I was 5 and I’ll be 33 on Monday.

Basically I follow a combination of the Bernstein/Keto/Low Carb diets.

i find my blood sugars are stable and easily controllable apart from when I wake up in the morning. My blood will sit around 5 (UK units) and then when I wake up shoot up to 9-11.

I only eat two meals a day. Lunch and dinner. Have never been a breakfast eater. I take 25 units Levemir in the morning and 6 units at bedtime. I use Novorapid to cover protein/carbs and am in discussions to add Actrapid to cover protein instead as Novo acts too quickly.

Does anyone know of how to stop the blood sugar spiking when I wake up after being stable all night? Would a pump that administers a dose prior to wake up solve it?

any advice appreciated!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This sounds like “Foot on the floor” which is common,
This is a liver dump that happens as our body realises we need energy to get going in the morning.

A common treatment is to take a preemptive bolus dose as soon as you wake.
A pump could help if you always rise at the same time.

BrenDorset

I also have a morning rise in BGL. I have been getting a bit slack and also had to stop medication (metformin) for a couple of days.

I don't normally monitor my BGL (GP says not normal to do this if not using insulin, instead to rely on HbA1c tests a few times per year) but I decided to check (GPs have all but shut-up shop - due to covid supposedly) but 10.5 to 11.1 both before and after metformin break, is higher than it used to be. With diet control the morning spike used to be around 7 to 9. It drops during the day.

I found fasting BGL in the morning to be sensitive to the amount of sugar and simple carbohydrate eaten in the previous evening. I suspect my liver contributes a basic morning BGL of about 6.5 (say 18 hour fast). In reality I will be happy when I stabilise it again in the region 7 point something. Or when my HbA1c is steady in the NHS OK zone.

The BGLs always seem a bit high even in the day but the HbA1c has been in the OK diabetic range. I don't know why the OK range is so high (up to 59 mmol/mol) if taking metformin, it is well above the non diabetic range. (HbA1c ranges for diabetics using metformin a another topic - I mat ask the community about that, OK level in NHS, NICE guidance:
Pregnancy or diet controlled patients <48 mmol/mol
Tablet treated 48 - 59 mmol/mol
Insulin treated 53 - 59 mmol/mol)

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This sounds like “Foot on the floor” which is common,
This is a liver dump that happens as our body realises we need energy to get going in the morning.

A common treatment is to take a preemptive bolus dose as soon as you wake.
A pump could help if you always rise at the same time.

You'd have thought that we'd have been made so that this stops when you retire but it doesn't. Been retired 15 years now and still suffer. Do take an injection before I get up but think I need a faster insulin as Novorapid doesn't help much.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'd have thought that we'd have been made so that this stops when you retire but it doesn't. Been retired 15 years now and still suffer. Do take an injection before I get up but think I need a faster insulin as Novorapid doesn't help much.
I think it’s something left over from when we lived in caves. Cavemen never retired :)
Have you tried Fiasp? It has its quirks but now I understand how it works for me, I wouldn’t want to revert to NovoSluggish. I believe it is the same price so it is worth asking about,

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I get it frequentLy, I just give myself some insulin as I go. To gym at 06.00 , sounds like a bad thing to do but my blood sugar goes up when I “push weights” so with an already higher b/s it’s the right thing for me , it taken some experimenting to reach this result , but hey that’s living with diabetes, and life