Sick day rules help

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Hope someone out there can help

Last few days my sugars have been stubbornly high. Mainly sitting in low teens. Really hard to get down. Did the usual. Increased bolus , changed pen etc. No joy

Yesterday tested positive for covid so I assume the high sugars im experiencing are due to this.

I've been lucky enough so far too not have had to use sick day rules. My understanding is I need to increase basal by 20percent
Currently on 15 units of lantus so this needs to increase to 18

My question is do I just go straight to 18 units from 15. Or do I increase 1 unit a day. Normally i increase 1 unit. Wait a couple days. Then increase another. Not sure about it when sick.

Any guidance would be great.
Thanks

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Last few days my sugars have been stubbornly high. Mainly sitting in low teens. Really hard to get down. Did the usual. Increased bolus , changed pen etc. No joy

Yesterday tested positive for covid so I assume the high sugars im experiencing are due to this.

I've been lucky enough so far too not have had to use sick day rules. My understanding is I need to increase basal by 20percent

My question is do I just go straight to 18 units from 15. Or do I increase 1 unit a day. Normally i increase 1 unit. Wait a couple days. Then increase another. Not sure about it when sick.

Thanks
Yeah a number of Diabetics have reported Covid effecting their Blood Sugars. I can’t remember the Sick Day Rules off the top of my head, but if you Google “DAFNE Sick Day Rules” and find a copy of them they do take you through everything step by step (the non-DAFNE sick day rules tend to be very vague and don’t always go through it step by step).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry you're in this position with your BGs.

Does this help? https://dafne.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/HG-01-002-v3-Sick-day-rules-Standard-1.pdf

Reactions: StewM

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all
I just can't see where it says increase unit by unit or in one go
I'll probably just go up unit by unit in case
Doubt I'll get through to nurse today
Luckily sugars generally under 10-15 so far. Which for me is high but not a disaster.not feeling sick etc.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I can't help as Type 2 but it will bump your post back up to the top and someone can maybe give you some help. Take care