Levirmir mistake!

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have taken wrong insulin, didn't notice until tonight, wrong cartridge, I took 12 units of levemir instead of NovoRapid, at lunch time I was going hyper so x 2 corrections, but all wrong insulin, I take 14 levemir in morning, and take 7 at night, but took 12 units of levemir lunchtime, I got libre 2, so alarm set, is there anything else I can do? Hope someone around happy Christmas holidays

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
s there anything else I can do? Hope someone around happy Christmas holidays
Have you phoned the emergency service in your country for advice regarding this?

It would be one of the first things I would do if I was a T1 diabetic, as they will be around.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I took 12 units of levemir instead of NovoRapid, at lunch time I was going hyper so x 2 corrections, but all wrong insulin, I take 14 levemir in morning, and take 7 at night, but took 12 units of levemir lunchtime,
Keep an eye on your levels of course, especially tonight when you're sleeping. Perhaps set the low alarm a little higher than you usually do so you'll be alerted before you go hypo and not after.
And of course keep some carbs next to your bed.

Have you taken your 7pm dose already or was the lunchtime dose your last one?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you find you are trending low, you might want to have some long acting carbs to see you through the night.
For me, this would be crisps or such, the carbs and fats combined mean they keep my glucose up for a long time, which is what I'd want when I had too much basal in my system.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you phoned the emergency service in your country for advice regarding this?

It would be one of the first things I would do if I was a T1 diabetic, as they will be around.
Emergency services in the UK are not available to tell you what you do if you make a mistake. with your insulin unless you had reached the stage of severe hypo or DKA if you took to little.
They are available to take you to accident and emergency. 111 may know but I would not rely on them for something as specific as this.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It would have been worse with the insulins the other way round. Taking the Basal in error is fairly easy to manage; just keep taking extra carbs as needed during 12 hours or so?

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for replies have set alarm on libre at 5, I usually take 7units of levemir before bed, but as I've taken 12 through afternoon and obviously can't take any more, was high this afternoon due to wrong insulin with food and took novorapid at tea time with food, so don't really know how it will end up, quite scary, I also have high blood pressure, which I've just started treatment for.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replies have set alarm on libre at 5, I usually take 7units of levemir before bed, but as I've taken 12 through afternoon and obviously can't take any more, was high this afternoon due to wrong insulin with food and took novorapid at tea time with food, so don't really know how it will end up, quite scary, I also have high blood pressure, which I've just treatment for.
This sounds exactly like how I would do it.
No need for your evening Levemir as you've already had it, and with your alarm at 5 I reckon you'll be fine!

Sleep well, and keep something to treat a hypo by your bed just in case.

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
This sounds exactly like how I would do it.
No need for your evening Levemir as you've already had it, and with your alarm at 5 I reckon you'll be fine!

Sleep well, and keep something to treat a hypo by your bed just in case.
Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Nannynet ,

Easily done with the insulin mix up.

Start fresh tomorrow with your usual in the morning.

In my experince, basal hypos can be slow creepers & need longer acting carbs as a followup to stop a possible recurrence an hour or so later?

Best wishes.