Type 2 & Insulin Treatment!

M

Member545197

Hi presently I take Yaltormin SR (metformin) Empagliflozin and a weekly Ozempic injection!
I have really tried in gaining better control of my blood sugars in general but my Hba1C is real struggle get down to 48mmol or below which is the ideal target!
Just had my recent Hba1C come back last week at 51mmol
I am seeing the practice nurse on 14th January to discuss things but as I am aware during discussions with a previous GP practice that insulin treatment might well be worth considering at some point!
I am therefore considering raising the topic of insulin but I was wondering if anyone can let me have an idea on what types of insulin's are mainly used as a treatment in those with type 2 diabetes ?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Your HbA1c of 51 doesn't seem too bad to me. With diet, exercise and a sulphonylurea I gor my HbA1c down to about 50 and was almost classified as 'in remission'. However this didn't last for very long and HbA1c started to climb to almost 100, which is what it was on my intial diagnosis, and I was referred to the diabetes clinic and was started on a once daily injection of Lantus a long acting insulin, and later NovoRapid was added to be taken with each meal. My HbA1c is now down in the 50s again and I'm pretty well contolled.

Reactions: scoobysdad

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUK-TM you will get lots of encouragement on here to go low carb, which I would agree with BUT do be aware that being on a drug ending "flozin" that it can be dangerous to go low carb very quickly. You will need to reduce slowly and over several weeks as your flozin dose relates directly to your bg.
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/dapagliflozin/