Is this too high for a non-diabetic?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is 9.8 too high for a non diabetic? No, it's perfectly normal and a normal insulin response will deal with it quickly and effectively.

Is 9.8 too high for a T2? Yes, as it will take a while to come down again because the insulin response is faulty.

Is 9.8 too high for someone with RH? Yes probably, because the extra insulin response with RH can cause a low BG afterwards. The high isn't the problem really, it's the resulting low which can be debilitating.

Just my own opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi again, I have been reading up on menier's disease, and which came first?
The RH or the Menier's?

Even though, part of the symptoms of Menier's is Hypoglycaemia, can you get Menier's from RH?
Some of the symptoms are akin to both conditions.

It's probably the only disease (can't believe that it is a disease and not a condition!) that I haven't been tested for, never heard of, never thought associated, never had any major ear problems.
But, since before I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor syndrome, I did have some vertigo and some balance issues but wouldn't have thought about an inner ear condition.

SarahABC

I got Ménière's about 15 years ago. You would know if you have it. Horrendous vertigo attacks which mean you can move wothoit vomiting which results in permanent tinnitus and permanent deafness. I am completely deaf in one ear. Ménière's is over diagnosed as there's also something conditions like vestibular migraine, bppv, labyrinthitis etc which sometimes get missed diagnosed as Ménière's but they don't get permanent hearing loss.
I suspect that I have some kind of insulin disorder which causes BOTH Ménière's and RH.

SarahABC

I think the mechanism for Ménière's is that insulin makes the ear more permeable. So I have too much insulin (why?) and that causes my issues. Eventually it will lead to insulin resistance.

SarahABC

This is why I wanted to know if 9.8 is too high ... Do I have insulin resistance. But thanks to everyone's replies I can see it can be normal for a non-diabetic person who has eaten loads of sugar!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think the mechanism for Ménière's is that insulin makes the ear more permeable. So I have too much insulin (why?) and that causes my issues. Eventually it will lead to insulin resistance.

Why?
Because you produce too much insulin and you have an intolerance to sugars.
The nitty gritty of RH can be totally dependent upon your initial insulin response or hormonal response to what you eat.
My RH without control can't cope with carbs, sugar or any sugar with ose at the end of the word, bar a little bit of fructose.
My initial response of insulin is insufficient to cope.
So I get high blood glucose levels, and depending on the amount of carbs in that meal, I can in all honesty have what is termed a glucose dump. The symptoms of a sudden spike is because of the change in the balance of hormones, glucose and the speed in change.
If my bloods go above 7mmols (ish) again how high I go, and I can go into double figures for something like potatoes or glucose or some wheat or oat products, it also depends on what else you have with the carbs, which can vary with the protein and fats with it, because good fats will slow digestion. It's a fine balance.
So I am at the apex of my spike and my automatic response of hormones at that time is too much insulin (the overshoot) and within a couple of hours, sometimes longer, and because of the amount of insulin trying to find the glucose to convert into energy.
The blood is depleted of producing energy and of course the brain needs sufficient glucose to have brain function. A hypoglycaemic episode. Hence the hypo symptoms and possible health issues from too many hypos. Even passing out and needing hospital treatment.
The best treatment and prevention of hypos, is very similar to an allergy, when you have an allergy or as both of us are lactose intolerant, having milk would bring on an episode. And continuous episodes would definitely increase poor health. So you shouldn't eat or drink dairy or carbs or sugars. You do not want to live with the consequences of hypoglycaemia. Just avoid them.
As for insulin resistance, I just don't know.
I do know that inflammation and high circulating insulin can cause it. But so can other contributory factors. And even more into the science wether your cells, hormones, integrate for the balance to be as normal as it should be.
Regardless of how high your blood glucose levels go, the reason why you have episodes of hypoglycaemia.
And the best advice I can give is learn, explore, experience, and be positive in what you consider appropriate action you want to take. I can only give you my experience and how I control it.
And to emphasise my physical health is really good for a man of my age, only because I chose, (not the doctors, dieticians or endos) I chose to remove the foods that were killing me.

My best wishes.

Let us know how you get on.

SarahABC

Why?
Because you produce too much insulin and you have an intolerance to sugars.
The nitty gritty of RH can be totally dependent upon your initial insulin response or hormonal response to what you eat.
My RH without control can't cope with carbs, sugar or any sugar with ose at the end of the word, bar a little bit of fructose.
My initial response of insulin is insufficient to cope.
So I get high blood glucose levels, and depending on the amount of carbs in that meal, I can in all honesty have what is termed a glucose dump. The symptoms of a sudden spike is because of the change in the balance of hormones, glucose and the speed in change.
If my bloods go above 7mmols (ish) again how high I go, and I can go into double figures for something like potatoes or glucose or some wheat or oat products, it also depends on what else you have with the carbs, which can vary with the protein and fats with it, because good fats will slow digestion. It's a fine balance.
So I am at the apex of my spike and my automatic response of hormones at that time is too much insulin (the overshoot) and within a couple of hours, sometimes longer, and because of the amount of insulin trying to find the glucose to convert into energy.
The blood is depleted of producing energy and of course the brain needs sufficient glucose to have brain function. A hypoglycaemic episode. Hence the hypo symptoms and possible health issues from too many hypos. Even passing out and needing hospital treatment.
The best treatment and prevention of hypos, is very similar to an allergy, when you have an allergy or as both of us are lactose intolerant, having milk would bring on an episode. And continuous episodes would definitely increase poor health. So you shouldn't eat or drink dairy or carbs or sugars. You do not want to live with the consequences of hypoglycaemia. Just avoid them.
As for insulin resistance, I just don't know.
I do know that inflammation and high circulating insulin can cause it. But so can other contributory factors. And even more into the science wether your cells, hormones, integrate for the balance to be as normal as it should be.
Regardless of how high your blood glucose levels go, the reason why you have episodes of hypoglycaemia.
And the best advice I can give is learn, explore, experience, and be positive in what you consider appropriate action you want to take. I can only give you my experience and how I control it.
And to emphasise my physical health is really good for a man of my age, only because I chose, (not the doctors, dieticians or endos) I chose to remove the foods that were killing me.

My best wishes.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks @Lamont D . Surely glucose intolerance is the same as insulin resistance? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/glucose-intolerance.html

You should watch this guy (I think you'll enjoy it). There's loads of great Ted Talks at "low carb down under" but this one I enjoyed the most:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @Lamont D . Surely glucose intolerance is the same as insulin resistance? https://www.diabetes.co.uk/glucose-intolerance.html

You should watch this guy (I think you'll enjoy it). There's loads of great Ted Talks at "low carb down under" but this one I enjoyed the most:

Yes, he is very good and actually understands the mechanics behind all the dietary problems of modern diet. I have studied so many videos, papers, articles and studies.
And I have my own personal paper, with a dpp4 inhibitor.
As far as I'm aware, they are not the same. They may be described as the same Insulin resistance means that the likelihood of gaining energy from insulin attaching to the glucose is out of balance, hence the symptoms of high than normal levels.
Impaired glucose tolerance encompasses all the higher than normal fasting blood sugar levels, or prediabetes or T2.
So if you have RH, you can have insulin resistance but not impaired glucose tolerance. Because our fasting levels and Hba1c levels are usually normal.

Keep safe