2nd Vaccine Dose Reaction/ Symptoms - Do I get Booster?

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
After my second (Pfizer) shot, my upper arm was a little bit sore for 24 hours (the same for this year's flu shot). I got my booster on Dec 13th. Nothing, nada, zilch... Also, my blood sugar did not change even a small bit after any of the 3 shots (Pfizer). No lottery winnings for me, I suppose......

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had 2 jabs of Pfizer with no reaction but am not planning to get a booster unless it becomes mandated for overseas travel.
I had covid and it was a big nothing but even had I not been a 'case' (teting positive but asymptomatic) I think I'd consider my own risk profile for covid:
age is still the most important risk stratification
blood sugar control for type 1
male greater risk than female
obesity and other metabolic disease
There is a lot of coercion to get a booster and the subsequent new variant boosters (the pressure won't die down) and I think your choice needs to be based on your own health rather than society's. Especially where there are risks to balance up. The benefits (some waning immunity to a disease that isn't fatal to over 99% of us) may not outweigh the risks even if you are diabetic. And you've already had 2 jabs so you do have protection against the more serious variants.
BTW type 1 is an autoimmune disease but I am not aware that this in itself triggers the massive autoimmune reaction that has caused vaccine harms. In other words as far I know destruction of beta cells in your pancreas doesn't imply global over reaction to infection.
I have a few autoimmune problems, so not just a few beta cells affected for me and sorry to say but 1% of the world's population seems rather a lot to me and to say they are not worth protecting seems very sad , I have to say if someone says they are not vaccinated then I will not invite them near me

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a few autoimmune problems, so not just a few beta cells affected for me and sorry to say but 1% of the world's population seems rather a lot to me and to say they are not worth protecting seems very sad , I have to say if someone says they are not vaccinated then I will not invite them near me
And something being non-fatal for 99% of the population doesn't equal those 99% being absolutely fine and dandy if they get covid.
Personally I have enough health issues to deal with, without adding potential organ damage, long covid, or whatever else.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And something being non-fatal for 99% of the population doesn't equal those 99% being absolutely fine and dandy if they get covid.
Personally I have enough health issues to deal with, without adding potential organ damage, long covid, or whatever else.
as someone still copying with Long Covid, I agree.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
unfortunately vaccination doesnt stop transmission of the disease, although it can lower the amount a bit. Vaccination only reduces the severity of getting covid, it doesnt stop it spreading. We need to keep up the protective and preventative measures too.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
unfortunately vaccination doesnt stop transmission of the disease, although it can lower the amount a bit. Vaccination only reduces the severity of getting covid, it doesnt stop it spreading. We need to keep up the protective and preventative measures too.
Yes you are right, even the Christmas meal our village normally do for us over sixties was cancelled this year but we did get a nice box of food and wine deliverd to the door so I was happy with that but yes best if we are all careful

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Prepare for this post to get deleted because I've gone 'off topic' but you are confusing protection of the vulnerable with getting a vaccine. With this vaccine it isn't the case. It is with other vaccines such as measles, which is a sterilising vaccine.
The fact of your vaccination doesn't protect me. It protects you if it does anything at all. It doesn't seem to be affecting transmission much nor your ability to contract the virus. My having had covid also protects you more than my getting endless boosters since my immunity is now broader than that conferred by the vaccine which I've also had btw!
The OP had a legitimate concern about his reaction and I was merely saying this has to be a choice in this context (non sterilising and transient imuunity against a rather weakened virus) not a social obligation. I am not a total libertarian and can see some contexts where forced vaccination would be for the greater good.
BTW the actual mortality rate is now reckoned to be 0.15-0.23% (WHO December 2020 estimate) and that is before omricon.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes only 2 weeks after my 2nd dose of the Moderna vaccine, therefore almost indefinitely had diabetes before I had my second dose. I had no reaction to my first dose back in July at all, no symptoms what so ever. However I reacted pretty badly in my opinion to the second dose. It only lasted around 12-24 hours, however I felt the worst I've ever felt with an illness before in my life. Extreme headache, eye pain, temperature, shivers, extreme fatigue etc. However it didn't last too long only around 12hours. I think its fair to say this is most likely down to my weakened immune system.

I'm due to speak to my doctor in the coming days regarding my booster and whether or not I need to get a booster or a 3rd jab for people with weakened immune system. Just wanted to know if any fellow type 1 Diabetics out there reacted badly to their 2nd dose?

Also after reading through the NHS website it does state that if you reacted badly to your 2nd jab, to not get the booster/3rd straight away and to discuss it with your doctor before getting it. I will be speaking to my doctor so that isn't an issue and of course she will tell me how to go forward, but just for now I'm not sure if my reaction is classed as a "bad reaction" as even though I felt absolutely awful, It was in a nutshell "extreme flu like symptoms" therefore not sure if a "bad reaction" actually means more than flu systems and something more serious?

I'm very eager to get my booster but also definitely now more nervous then I ever have been due to how badly I reacted to it 2nd time round. Any advice to help me prep to try and keep the symptoms at bay?

Thanks!

On the contrary, the stronger the reaction you have to the Covid Vaccine, the better state your immune system is in. By 'react badly' I think the NHS website managers may be worried that you had an allergic reaction, or anaphylactic reaction to the vaccine. The reaction you describe has certainly been common among the younger members of our staff. I had no reaction to either vaccine but had a really sore arm after the booster. I'm a nurse, so this may be anecdotal, but I'm pretty sure this was reported fairly widely when the second dose became available, I certainly remember reading an article to that effect on several news websites.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the most important thing is to make sure they asperate before injecting. Here is a video on why

Hope you find it helpful
Aspiration hasn't been taught in injection technique for many years. Last time I was taught to do this was about 30 years ago!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
May I remind everyone to stay on topic please.
As a reminder, below are the main questions asked. For the complete opening post, just scroll up to read it and decide if your reply is on topic before posting.

This expressly is NOT a thread on the effectiveness of vaccination, vaccination policy, the way you feel about vaccination or what you think about rules and measures taken by various governments.
I'm due to speak to my doctor in the coming days regarding my booster and whether or not I need to get a booster or a 3rd jab for people with weakened immune system. Just wanted to know if any fellow type 1 Diabetics out there reacted badly to their 2nd dose?
I'm very eager to get my booster but also definitely now more nervous then I ever have been due to how badly I reacted to it 2nd time round. Any advice to help me prep to try and keep the symptoms at bay?

Reactions: EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
NB I am a type 2, but 70 years old and with a failed thyroid.
I suspect that the really nasty illness we had at the end of '19 was Covid - I live in Poole, Dorset and it is a ferry port. Our little area is the most obvious point to stop to fill up with petrol and do a bit of shopping, so I hear a lot of foreign languages in the local shops and can direct people to the free car park in several of them. If something is coming this way, it lands here first.
When I had the first AZ jab I was really rather ill, first with sore throat, cough, low fever and then with swollen feet and legs.
The second one I approached with apprehension - nothing - not even a sore spot where it went in.
When contacted about the booster, I was down with the Om version, definite symptoms, but I've had colds which were worse.
I suspect that many will have found that the jabs caused totally different reactions - quite a few I have spoken to have seen the same, reaction to one and not the other with no pattern to it at all.