Problems at school - Urgent advice needed please

pplprincess5480

My 5 year old daughter is T1 and has been pumping since April. She also has selective mutism so has been given 32.5 hours a week funding for a 1:1 carer at school. Since September I have helped access training and supported her TA's with learning to use the pump. By half term it became clear that the team of 1:1's (4 different people) were not getting enough time with Lottie to practise the skills necessary to look after Lottie.

One of Lottie's 1:1's had made numerous mistakes with Lottie's care ranging from not treating hypos to giving insulin when it was not needed or authorised. There were 8 incidents such as this in the forst two weeks after half term, when she was flying solo.

I went to the head and expressed my concerns and the 1:1 numbers were reduced to one morning and one afternoon carer. However, the person who had made the mistakes continued to do the mornings. I arranged for extra training, for her and the new afternoon 1:1, from the consultant and I had a two hour meeting with Lottie's DSN and Consultant to review and simplify Lottie's care plan and daily routine, to make it foolproof. I also produced Lanyard cards to be worn at all times with all the necessary info on them.

Yesterday Lottie was 22.5 at break time and was given a 1.5 unit correction bolus. Lottie's care plan clearly states that if she is over 20 mmols then her parents need to be contacted and that correction boluses can only be given up to 1 unit without parental authorisation.

If this was your child what would you do?? I have taken action but apparently I am over reacting.

I would like some views from other parents of T1 children.

emmamadi

Hi, I dont have much advice I'm afraid, but I wanted to reply. My little boy is at playgroup ( he had just turned 3) and they are not very good at looking after him. For example,he had a hypo and they gave him....half a bottle of lucozade, 3 jelly babies, a pack of mini cheddars, and biscuits. Even though his care plan stated that at the number he was he would need 2 jelly babies. Needless to say he was very high after. We have now applied for 1 to 1 care so I hope we get it!
I totally understand your concerns and wish things could be right for our kids, I hope things work out for you and they communicate better!
Emma

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My son is at daycare and I have similar problems when they just don't follow what is printed for them. Even yesterday they tested Khaleb at 9.30am and he was 4.8 so instead of giving him his morning tea she waited until morning tea time and retested to then find him at 3.2! My instructions are that if Khaleb is under 5 he is to be fed straight away and under 4 he is to receive Glucodin powder. Neither of these things were done :roll: I continue to drum it into their heads and this his been the second year that the same person has looked after Khaleb. It is disappointing to say the least. I don't know how to fix this but 2012 will be the final year with this person and then I have to start all over again with a school. Daycare have never seen Khaleb symptomatic of being hypo and I'm sure if they saw that they would take it more seriously but otherwise they think he is okay regardless of the level they see or how quickly they could be in all sorts of trouble.

annettekp

You are certainly not over reacting. It sounds like more education is needed to drum in the seriousness of the situation. Can your DSN go in and help sort things out?

I'm in the lucky situation that my son's nursery has a most excellent nursery nurse who copes well and follows instructions to the letter. it helps that another T1 child went through the nursery before him.

I know that when she had problems with her new teacher 'forgetting' blood sugar checks and blaming the child for not getting the insulin right the DSN went in alone and had serious discussion with the staff and retrained them.

We also have fool proof flow charts for them to follow and they are up on the wall in nursery, both classes (small rural school), the staffroom and the janitors room so staff can't fail to know where they are.

Good luck, its very worrying when you have to trust other people.

cearapeter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are not over reacting. Lets be clear on that point.

Speak with the school principal in the first instance. The TAs are employees of the LEA so speak with them also.

It appears to me that your daughter's school is negligent with regard to their 'duty of care'.

The never ending issue is of course the fact that your child is at school (Department for education) and her health needs are met by health professionals (Department for Health). Both have different agendas.

Can I ask if you child has a 'statement'?

I am a special school principal with 32 years experience, an LEA member and also a member of the SEN Tribunal.

pplprincess5480

Hi cearapeter,

Yes Lottie is statemented for her Diabetes and Selective Mutism. She has been give 32.5 hrs funding per week. I have spoken with the headmistress, who was very rude and hurtful, saying that Lottie's issues had marred the Christmas week for her and her staff. She told me to keep Lotts away from school in January until this is sorted out and that I may want to look for another school as they obviously can't meet my 'high' expectations. I feel that this is quite discriminative towards Lottie as I do feel I'm being unreasonable. I just want her to be safe.

cearapeter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

This is appalling.

Firstly, the 'statement' is designed to make the curriculum accessible to your daughter. The TA is but one aspect of the total provision. Look at the section 'educational provision'. That is the important section.

Schools must adapt to children not the other way around. I am very concerned what I am reading. A child with a 'statement' may not be excluded from school.

I feel there are clear Disability Discrimination issues here - your child is being denied education because of her diabetics. I might mention this to the special education officer in your LEA who signed the 'statement'. In addition, as to speak with the parents representative on the Board of Governors.

Keep smiling.

Cearapeter

smaragdi

Here, in Greece there is no way that teachers would take any responsibility to treat diabetes .My daughter is at the daycare and I go there to check her and administer her bolus.They won't even check her bloodsugar. I was forced to change job so that I can visit my daugther's school in the morning and work in the evening. What is "one by one care" that you mentioned?

pplprincess5480

1:1 care is where my daughter has one person who is responsible for her only her care at all times. If she did not have this I would have to be with her at school. Lottie's diabetes is so variable that she needs constant supervision. I have to ba available to support the school if anything goes wrong too. This is normally 2-3 times a week.

smaragdi

pplprincess5480 said:
1:1 care is where my daughter has one person who is responsible for her only her care at all times. If she did not have this I would have to be with her at school. Lottie's diabetes is so variable that she needs constant supervision. I have to ba available to support the school if anything goes wrong too. This is normally 2-3 times a week.

Who is this person? It sounds to me a little strange because it's very difficult to find someone willing to take such a responsibility? Are they appointed by the state or have you find them?

pplprincess5480

The school employs them. The government pays their wages in the firm of funding that my daughter qualified for and they are trained by her consultant to provide care for her.