Christmas.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I’m not doing great. I have really fallen off the wagon. Before Christmas etc. I am still taking metformin but have been too scared to test my bloods. I want to go back to eating carefully again. My weight has gone from 11 8 to 12 2. I am very ashamed I gave up and I kno my a1c is going to b dreadful. How do I begin again to eat carefully? I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and are all well. Xxxxx.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I’m not doing great. I have really fallen off the wagon. Before Christmas etc. I am still taking metformin but have been too scared to test my bloods. I want to go back to eating carefully again. My weight has gone from 11 8 to 12 2. I am very ashamed I gave up and I kno my a1c is going to b dreadful. How do I begin again to eat carefully? I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and are all well. Xxxxx.
Hi Su Start with your next meal, you have done this before you can do it again. Don’t beat yourself up about it, it’s done. Move forward. Get a few low carb treats in, I always buy the Hartley’s 10kcal jelly that I saw you post a while back. Thanks for sharing that, I add a few raspberries and cream for my treat at the moment. Hope you had a lovely Christmas too.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is there to be ashamed about? Xmas and weight gain is a known hazard. The main thing is to put in place a plan to recover., which you have started by owning up here. What you did before Xmas to get your sugar levels and weight down will need to be applied from now on. You know what you did right and what did not work for you so you are in a better place for that knowledge.

Most of us loosen up at this festive occasion. I certainly suspended my regime for a festive break. My readings on Xmas Day and boxing Day were eyebrow raising and 'scary'. But I knew it was going to be, so accepted them with a shrug. I have re applied my regime now with a slight nod to NYE, so not quite back on the runway, but landing this craft gently after the holiday.

I stuffed myself silly for the last week, Xmas Pud with Brandy butter, mince pies, Xmas cake, marshmallows, after eights you name it, this gannet necked it. I had turkey, turkey stroganoff, turkey chasseur, turkey sandwiches , turkey , turkey......... You know how this song goes.

I have had worse readings to be sure. When I started Low Carb, I was in the 20's and 30's, but this time my highest was 12, so the years of abstinence has definitely paid off. My pancreas thanks me for that. Now I go forward and this morning my FBG was back at 5.4 so the way to recovery is working for me. You need to start moving back to the pathway that you know works. Bon voyage.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As as been said do not feel shame it's anegative emotion and you have no reason.
Do not be afraid to test as if you don't you remain ignorant of where you are and then can only fear or assume the worst things may not be as bad as you imagine and may be much better than you think.
And your weight gain is not so great.
Then try and get back to your old regime you did it before and you can do it again.:)

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You mention being scared to check your BG. Remember that this is only information, not a judgement, and only of value if you use it to help yourself. Ultimately, the only thing that matters is that you are satisfied with your numbers, there are no diabetes police, only whatever you feel is best for yourself.

Many people on here talk about ‘cheating’, but I always wonder what they are actually cheating - you cannot cheat diabetes, it is always there. You can make a value judgement on whether eating something unsuitable will be a long-term issue for yourself in terms of damage, or re-igniting the carb cravings, or whatever, but that’s all. There is no regulated regime that we are marked or rated on, only personal responsibility for our health. And that depends upon the individual motivation and resolve and is value-neutral - no one should be judged upon it.

The healthcare crowd are not there to tut, or admonish, or anything else of that nature, only provide information and assistance. Those who go beyond that and feel emboldened to make a personal commentary are overstepping themselves and I personally would ignore their opinion, and if I was feeling particularly argy, tell them it was not helpful nor required.

And anyway, your HbA1c could be better than you expect if you get things back under control quickly. And if it isn’t what you hoped for, then at least you understand why and can fix it for next time, if you want to. :)

chani111

Hi Su, I fell off the wagon too, not proud of myself. It is a struggle and I need to sort myself out. Thank you for posting it’s helped me to own up too. Giant hugs to you

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
As as been said do not feel shame it's anegative emotion and you have no reason.
Do not be afraid to test as if you don't you remain ignorant of where you are and then can only fear or assume the worst things may not be as bad as you imagine and may be much better than you think.
Then try and get back to your old regime you did it before and you can do it again.:)
Thank you. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
What is there to be ashamed about? Xmas and weight gain is a known hazard. The main thing is to put in place a plan to recover., which you have started by owning up here. What you did before Xmas to get your sugar levels and weight down will need to be applied from now on. You know what you did right and what did not work for you so you are in a better place for that knowledge.

Most of us loosen up at this festive occasion. I certainly suspended my regime for a festive break. My readings on Xmas Day and boxing Day were eyebrow raising and 'scary'. But I knew it was going to be, so accepted them with a shrug. I have re applied my regime now with a slight nod to NYE, so not quite back on the runway, but landing this craft gently after the holiday.

I stuffed myself silly for the last week, Xmas Pud with Brandy butter, mince pies, Xmas cake, marshmallows, after eights you name it, this gannet necked it. I had turkey, turkey stroganoff, turkey chasseur, turkey sandwiches , turkey , turkey......... You know how this song goes.

I have had worse readings to be sure. When I started Low Carb, I was in the 20's and 30's, but this time my highest was 12, so the years of abstinence has definitely paid off. My pancreas thanks me for that. Now I go forward and this morning my FBG was back at 5.4 so the way to recovery is working for me. You need to start moving back to the pathway that you know works. Bon voyage.
Thank you. That has made me feel loads better. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi Su Start with your next meal, you have done this before you can do it again. Don’t beat yourself up about it, it’s done. Move forward. Get a few low carb treats in, I always buy the Hartley’s 10kcal jelly that I saw you post a while back. Thanks for sharing that, I add a few raspberries and cream for my treat at the moment. Hope you had a lovely Christmas too.
Thank you so much. Yes the jellies were a life saver I remember that. Thanks again. Tomorrow is day 1. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi Su, I fell off the wagon too, not proud of myself. It is a struggle and I need to sort myself out. Thank you for posting it’s helped me to own up too. Giant hugs to you
Thank you. Tomorrow is day 1. Xxx.

Reactions: chani111

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
You mention being scared to check your BG. Remember that this is only information, not a judgement, and only of value if you use it to help yourself. Ultimately, the only thing that matters is that you are satisfied with your numbers, there are no diabetes police, only whatever you feel is best for yourself.

Many people on here talk about ‘cheating’, but I always wonder what they are actually cheating - you cannot cheat diabetes, it is always there. You can make a value judgement on whether eating something unsuitable will be a long-term issue for yourself in terms of damage, or re-igniting the carb cravings, or whatever, but that’s all. There is no regulated regime that we are marked or rated on, only personal responsibility for our health. And that depends upon the individual motivation and resolve and is value-neutral - no one should be judged upon it.

The healthcare crowd are not there to tut, or admonish, or anything else of that nature, only provide information and assistance. Those who go beyond that and feel emboldened to make a personal commentary are overstepping themselves and I personally would ignore their opinion, and if I was feeling particularly argy, tell them it was not helpful nor required.

And anyway, your HbA1c could be better than you expect if you get things back under control quickly. And if it isn’t what you hoped for, then at least you understand why and can fix it for next time, if you want to. :)
Thank you so much. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thank you. X

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you knew what rules I drove a horse and goody-loaded cart through this last week, you would be telling me off!!!!! Suffice to say I am back on the wagon now, and doing well on my bgl. My weight did not even flinch. I admit it was planned (well, sort of - more like casting aspersions to the wind and letting my inner piglet out for a week)

Reactions: chani111

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I did not keep strictly to the rules either over the last week or so my BG levels have registered one Hi and a couple of readings at 17.5 in fact to be honest one reading of 17.5 was after a bowl of tomato soup and half a bread roll hopefully after the new year celebrations I will be able to get back to my old routine and get things under control.

Reactions: T2 Woman

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I’m glad I’m not the only one that enjoyed Christmas food. I must admit to eating a lot of carbs , potatoes and pastry but will go back to avoiding them.I’m lucky not to have too much of a sweet tooth so avoiding chicocolates wasnt a problem but the toffee trifle was something that I couldn’t avoid

BenCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym!
Hi

I was diagnosed T2 in August when my HBA1c was high 50's. I found this forum and followed the advice to cut all carbs out and test, which I did. In mid-December my HBA1c had dropped to 42 and my DBN changed my record to non-diabetic (mainly for the benefit of my health insurance!)

I also released the inner piglet for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day, eating and drinking whatever I fancied. My tests went from a daily average of 6.6-6.8 up to 12-14! After a week of being back on zero carbs, they are around 7 now.

IMHO, falling off the wagon is nothing to be ashamed of and getting back on it is something to be proud of!

And, as well as best wishes for a very happy New Year, I'd like to thank this community for the advice, support and encouragement I have received and which has massively improved my health and life!