How has everyone fared over Christmas?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Although I've had no Christmas cake, mince pies or Christmas pudd I've still managed to gain a few pounds!
I did have honey roast parsnips, yorkshire puddings and two roast potatoes on Christmas day, and perhaps more nuts that I ought to have! It's difficult to cut out everything on that one day a year though and my blood glucose has only risen slightly above normal so I hope not much damage done Today I have reverted back to simple foods (yogurt with chia and pumpkin seeds for late breakfast) and will only have two meals per day again. I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year xx

Last edited:
Reactions: jessj and TriciaWs

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I realised coming up to my first Dec as a T2 hat I needed to plan. Over the last week I've eaten low carb fruit cake and low carb mince pie - both made with dried/crystallised cranberries I prepared earlier. This year I made sweetened dried rhubarb slices in advance too, using erythritol. A small serving of pie or cake is about 4-5g of carbs, a little more for the cake if I add homemade marzipan.
Today I'll be making a low carb orange cake, and then use some of it to make an almost carb free trifle.
With my sweet tooth satisfied, and stuffing made with ground almonds instead of bread, the rest of my meals are easy.
This year I added roasted kohlrabi instead of potatoes - they worked very well.

That is the good part - my downfall tends to be chocolate!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I realised coming up to my first Dec as a T2 hat I needed to plan. Over the last week I've eaten low carb fruit cake and low carb mince pie - both made with dried/crystallised cranberries I prepared earlier. This year I made sweetened dried rhubarb slices in advance too, using erythritol. A small serving of pie or cake is about 4-5g of carbs, a little more for the cake if I add homemade marzipan.
Today I'll be making a low carb orange cake, and then use some of it to make an almost carb free trifle.
With my sweet tooth satisfied, and stuffing made with ground almonds instead of bread, the rest of my meals are easy.
This year I added roasted kohlrabi instead of potatoes - they worked very well.

That is the good part - my downfall tends to be chocolate!
It sounds as if you were well prepared @TriciaWs ! I knew that I could avoid most rich foods as there's only myself and daughter and she's never liked all the rich xmas fayre, but I had got chocolates, sweets, jelly babies, ect in for her but all I had was one Ferrero Rocher off her :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It sounds as if you were well prepared @TriciaWs ! I knew that I could avoid most rich foods as there's only myself and daughter and she's never liked all the rich xmas fayre, but I had got chocolates, sweets, jelly babies, ect in for her but all I had was one Ferrero Rocher off her :)

This does sound as an excuse when you are caught with your hands in the biscuit tin!!!
With type two you can at certain times like Christmas, if Santa thinks you've been good and on his list to have the odd treat.

Good and bad chrimbo in our house.
Much as we have gone through like you have @coby in the past.
Baby's first Christmas and all the grandkids getting Santa's goodies.
Then covid, but he is okay, at home isolation and new x-box games to keep him occupied. Then a funeral in the New year. And the wife being frustrated cos no one 's working in the dwp, no death certificate and her father can't get his wishes granted because everybody involved is on Christmas holidays. And not back to Jan 3rd.
I thought that had all gone many years ago, the nurses don't get time off, the support staff don't get time off, but the office staff and senior staff, there is only a skeleton staff that is just not enough. His works pension was stopped, the day after his death.
But his account was payed into by the dwp, for January and want it back now!
Ludicrous!
The country has definitely gone insane!
Or is it me?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This does sound as an excuse when you are caught with your hands in the biscuit tin!!!
With type two you can at certain times like Christmas, if Santa thinks you've been good and on his list to have the odd treat.

Then covid, but he is okay, at home isolation and new x-box games to keep him occupied. Then a funeral in the New year. And the wife being frustrated cos no one 's working in the dwp, no death certificate and her father can't get his wishes granted because everybody involved is on Christmas holidays. And not back to Jan 3rd.
I thought that had all gone many years ago, the nurses don't get time off, the support staff don't get time off, but the office staff and senior staff, there is only a skeleton staff that is just not enough. His works pension was stopped, the day after his death.
Ludicrous!
Or is it me?
Oh My!
Talk about a run of bad luck!
I do hope your poor wife didn't find it all too much, but naturally losing someone dear at any time of year is tragic.
It's just not right not to have staff in for these type of sad events.
Something needs to be addressed here
My deepest sympathies to your family @Lamont D xx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh My!
Talk about a run of bad luck!
I do hope your poor wife didn't find it all too much, but naturally losing someone dear at any time of year is tragic.
It's just not right not to have staff in for these type of sad events.
Something needs to be addressed here
My deepest sympathies to your family @Lamont D xx

Thank you so much.
The good news news today was the powers that be have compromised, sort of. And it's a really good job that our phone calls are free, cos, the **** thing hasn't stopped being used since eight o'clock this morning and we have actually managed to get the little things sorted, but the important decisions by those who need to be on their chrimbo jollies are still in abeyance
And won't be sorted until next Wednesday!

Hundreds of people die every day, how can they have the time off in the midst of a pandemic?
Just who do to think they are? Boris, Rabb?

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first christmas went great as a new dibetic. Told wife and kids enjoy them selfs and eat what they want and i just got on with my carnivor diet :). Just threw some brocccollliii on the plate to make it look not so bad (turky crown, pigs in blankets) and then had a large vodka and slimline shweeppss and 2 chunks of 90% lindt chocolate to celebrate in the night :)
Same thing for boxing day but pork and morning bloods were 4-4.5 range so that was a win for me. Might be my first christmas in 25+ years that i lost some weight as well. Will update tomorrow :)

Last edited:

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Condolences, @Lamont D. Never easy at any time, but around Christmas it's always more difficult emotionally & also when trying to get things sorted out.

Well done, @coby & @ultradad, way to go!

My plate was very good, but my glass contained carbs, Baileys. I could have said no to the pourers, but they were enjoyable. :happy: I did then enjoy g & slschw. so not all bad. ;) Solo NYE, so I'll just have the one, the way it's going, it will be a hot toddy! :woot:

Happy new year!

Reactions: coby and Lamont D

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much.
The good news news today was the powers that be have compromised, sort of. And it's a really good job that our phone calls are free, cos, the **** thing hasn't stopped being used since eight o'clock this morning and we have actually managed to get the little things sorted, but the important decisions by those who need to be on their chrimbo jollies are still in abeyance
And won't be sorted until next Wednesday!

Hundreds of people die every day, how can they have the time off in the midst of a pandemic?
Just who do to think they are? Boris, Rabb?
Well I supp
Although I've had no Christmas cake, mince pies or Christmas pudd I've still managed to gain a few pounds!
I did have honey roast parsnips, yorkshire puddings and two roast potatoes on Christmas day, and perhaps more nuts that I ought to have! It's difficult to cut out everything on that one day a year though and my blood glucose has only risen slightly above normal so I hope not much damage done Today I have reverted back to simple foods (yogurt with chia and pumpkin seeds for late breakfast) and will only have two meals per day again. I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year xx

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must confess I have eaten all sorts I shouldn’t. I don’t intend to but when I cook certain things for family I find it hard to resist! Roast potatoes and rich fruit cake are my especial weaknesses. I have started the last few days saying to myself “Get back on the wagon!” And then failing! My morning bs has as a result been erratic. But the good news is that the house is gradual emptying of temptation

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was bad for a few days - ice cream, cake, chocolates - but mostly feeling sick from starting Trulicity so had very little Christmas dinner and can't now tolerate wine or milky drinks. Spirits seem OK, hooray, so when I return to low carb eating tomorrow I'll still be able to have a celebratory drink.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I must confess I have eaten all sorts I shouldn’t. I don’t intend to but when I cook certain things for family I find it hard to resist! Roast potatoes and rich fruit cake are my especial weaknesses. I have started the last few days saying to myself “Get back on the wagon!” And then failing! My morning bs has as a result been erratic. But the good news is that the house is gradual emptying of temptation
I know what you mean about the 'naughty' stock quickly depleting now, and I'm sure it doesn't do us too much harm to indulge a little at this time of year. Today I made myself a chocolate mug cake for a last day of the year treat, knowing it's okay to have. Now back to the straight and narrow for 2022 though :)

Dandelade

Ludicrous!
Or is it me?
I’m sorry for your loss @Lamont D. I know this time of year is bittersweet for a lot of people but especially so with such a recent loss and ridiculous red tape.

Dandelade

Happy new year everyone. Yeah I decided only way low carb is going to be sustainable is if I don’t feel like I’m on a diet and hard done by. Soooo, I had a full Christmas dinner, trifle and and a glass of Prosecco. A few months ago that would have floored me with feeling sick and blurred vision. My body seemed to handle it well - although I deliberately didn’t bring my meter being away for Christmas!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Happy new year everyone. Yeah I decided only way low carb is going to be sustainable is if I don’t feel like I’m on a diet and hard done by. Soooo, I had a full Christmas dinner, trifle and and a glass of Prosecco. A few months ago that would have floored me with feeling sick and blurred vision. My body seemed to handle it well - although I deliberately didn’t bring my meter being away for Christmas!
I gave you the Winner badge for your outlook @Dandelade as I think, like yourself, that we do need to feel able to indulge a little at special times without feeling like sinners! I've run out of testing strips right now so cannot keep an eye on my levels for a few days but I feel confident that I will be okay now that the 'festive' foods are behind us. My only naughty act yesterday was to accept three jelly babies offered to me by my daughter :D I got this!

Dandelade

I gave you the Winner badge for your outlook @Dandelade as I think, like yourself, that we do need to feel able to indulge a little at special times without feeling like sinners! I've run out of testing strips right now so cannot keep an eye on my levels for a few days but I feel confident that I will be okay now that the 'festive' foods are behind us. My only naughty act yesterday was to accept three jelly babies offered to me by my daughter :D I got this!
Aw thank you Coby - your posts always make me smile! You HAVE got this <3