Milk

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
Im a type 2 at 36 and i am horrible at taking my tablets and lockdown didn’t help with me taking them as I became depressed and simply didn’t want to. My partner has shoved me back on my meds and I’ve been advised to go Keto or Low carb. The only issue i have doing this is the milk, I currently use Lactose free as i have an allergy problem. I’ve been told that using dairy milk on low carb is a no go but I don’t like milk alternatives due to taste or texture dislike. what can i do?
Thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 200ml glass of Arla Lactofree milk is only 5.3g of carbs, not a huge amount in the big scheme of things, but it depends how many times a day you need to take your tablets, it could mount up if you have several doses a day. If just once daily I would continue with the milk you are currently drinking.

Reactions: Heatherp85

Heatherp85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take 2 lots of tablets a day and do prefer with milk so this is great thank you

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use lactofree daily for my coffee and it seems to not raise my bgs in the small amounts I use. I used to use cream in coffee as cream is very low carb but the Arla lacto free isn’t bad - as @Rachox has noted.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I take 2 lots of tablets a day and do prefer with milk so this is great thank you

I am lactose intolerant, and I take my tablets with water and less carbs all round.
Water is the easiest and cheapest drink, as you get older, your taste will go to other hot drinks like tea or coffee, this should be an alternative.

If your allergy or intolerance affects you so much, just stay away from it, adjust your dietary intake.

best wishes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
Im a type 2 at 36 and i am horrible at taking my tablets and lockdown didn’t help with me taking them as I became depressed and simply didn’t want to. My partner has shoved me back on my meds and I’ve been advised to go Keto or Low carb. The only issue i have doing this is the milk, I currently use Lactose free as i have an allergy problem. I’ve been told that using dairy milk on low carb is a no go but I don’t like milk alternatives due to taste or texture dislike. what can i do?
Thanks

Cream? Preferably double?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I moved from 3-4 milky coffees a day to 2 and from skimmed milk to full fat so I didn't need as much milk. If I ever have an extra coffee I have double cream instead.
The milk is counted into my daily carb allowance.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
Thanks
I have full fat dairy milk on low carb. I simply add the carbs in it to my daily total. This has worked fine for me for a decade.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just plain old no carb water / cold black coffee to take my medication twice daily as I'm not a fan of milk.