Type 2 Does preparing food affect BG?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is something I have often wondered as I prepare all the meals in my house. When I test before eating I've been handling food for the previous 60 odd minutes.

It's diffcult for me to test enough to know, so I wondering if anyone who uses a Libre has noticed if there is an effect. I would like to try a Libre but my smart phone is not smart enough.... sad, but true.

Thank you.

Reactions: Jo123

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is something I have often wondered as I prepare all the meals in my house. When I test before eating I've been handling food for the previous 60 odd minutes.

It's diffcult for me to test enough to know, so I wondering if anyone who uses a Libre has noticed if there is an effect. I would like to try a Libre but my smart phone is not smart enough.... sad, but true.

Thank you.

Hi Hankjam, I'm not the main cook in or house, however, I do cook and take a turn to do main meals too. I can't honestly say I have noticed any impact on a Libre - except where one might have taken a little sample, and that's mainly dairy. But, I do stress that's from consumption.

Ahem.

Reactions: EllieM and jjraak

Lakeslover

I do get a small increase if I’m up and about in the kitchen instead of resting…..but it’s small ans short lived.

Reactions: jjraak

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to try a Libre but my smart phone is not smart enough.... sad, but true.
Might be worth asking around your friends if someone has an unused old Samsung or such laying about, you might be surprised!

Reactions: hankjam

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it depends what type of cooking and whether you are used to it.
If you are doing lots of chopping and stirring and whisking by hand, it will be different from placing a fillet of fish in the oven.
And if you spend most of your time on your feet, you may not notice.

Also, could be affected by what you have done before. I have just cooked after getting home from a Spin class. The spin had more affect than the chopping a stirring.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, for me, but I am the kind of cook who is a taster and nibbler.
I also had a very high reading after zesting an orange and not washing hands first. I hadn't eaten any. Scared me silly.
Overall bg doesn't rise much as amounts are small

Reactions: EllieM and jjraak

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to try a Libre but my smart phone is not smart enough.... sad, but true.

Hi,

You really don't need the latest phone to be compatible with the LIbre.
There are more budget friendly & environmentally friendly, obtaining a "pre loved phone?"

The market is flooded with good used phones a couple of years old. Just because of a minor upgrade by the "consumer.. " ;)

I cant really talk as an insulin user.. i could be cooking after getting in from work with a hypo from a mad day at work...

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Someone mentioned here once that the first phase insulin response can be stimulated by the anticipation of food.
Most T2s have a blunted fist phase response so don't know if that is still the case.

My CGM showed nothing while preparing food btw

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Always rise a mmol whilst cooking. I’ve talked about it for years.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the sort whose blood sugar levels rise at the smell of food cooking. All those years pre-diagnosis saying I put weight on just thinking about food - turned out it was true as my insulin resistance was being triggered LOL

finzi1966

I rise a bit (T2, Libre user). But it isn’t anything to do with tasting the food, it’s just the rushing about/stress of cooking. How much I rise depends on how stressy the cooking is. When I was cooking Christmas dinner I was massively stressed and it went above 9 and my high glucose alarm went off (which did NOT help matters lol). It does mean my post-prandial numbers are *always* lower than my pre-prandial!

Usually I’m about 6.5 after cooking where if I hadn’t cooked, I’d be more like 5.5.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If insulin was triggered by the smell and anticipation of food then wouldn't BG go down rather than up?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If insulin was triggered by the smell and anticipation of food then wouldn't BG go down rather than up?
I think it is a complex chemical issue where insulin should be released. For me that just isn’t going to happen. Hence the rise.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would imagine that people who are dashing-about cooks rather than the quiet and methodical types might trigger a small rise in BG in the way exercise does.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone mentioned here once that the first phase insulin response can be stimulated by the anticipation of food.
Most T2s have a blunted fist phase response so don't know if that is still the case.

My CGM showed nothing while preparing food btw
The anticipation is triggered in the saliva by the release of amylase enzyme into the saliva. This is generally triggered by chewing or sucking sugary carbs (finger licking good?) but not sure if it is linked to drooling anticipation.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am minded that some medications are given via transdermal patches (e.g. nicotine replacement) so the possibility of some things being absorbed through contact is not impossible. However, getting reliable transfer in any quantity is a chemist's black magic trick, and probably does not apply to carbs, however simple they may be. If that was the case then handling icing sugar would be noticeable? Applying alcohol to a bee sting would get you drunk? I don;t see it happening like that.

Edit to add: of course some meds are applied via the mucous membranes, so sub lingual and nasal sprays / drops work for small quantities.

Postscript: There has been some reports / studies that established that some artificial sweeteners triggered the insulin response without adding any calories / carbs. Again, an ingest mechanism needed. Thinking of sweetened goodies is probably not going to cut the mustard of the OP.

Last edited:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you.
Not in my case. The only things apart from food (knowledge from finger testing and libre use) that seem to affect my BGs are exercise (down), illness (up), alcohol (down - I know alcohol is sometimes classed as a food) and ambient temperature (higher = up). It's possible that some or all of these are in play while cooking/preparing but there has never been a noticeable impact.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe thinking about food is sufficient to trigger an insulin response ... so the M&S food ads will do it as well :( For a type 1 the insulin won't be produced but the other mechanisms to prevent hypos will ... likely to lead to slight blood glucose rise.