Does type 2 is reversal

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Hi everyone does type 2 diabetes reversal if so please anyone let me know the methodology yo revers it ..?
Hi I’ve reversed mine I had hbc1a in March 54mm then June 36 then November 35 no meds just diet and exercise I’d say 50 60 carbs a day. I do like a drink so twice a week I have vodka n diet mixers and every Saturday I had a chicken Kabab no pitta just salad n garlic sauce My next hbc1a is March I do the odd finger pricks to be honest they all seem to not add up is rather go by hbc1a x good luck

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My lifetime of migraine & sleep apnoea also disappeared.
The side effects of low carb are plentiful but not fully understood.
Perhaps hyper insulin levels play a part in other illnesses than is fully appreciated
Maybe it's the other way round and consumption of (excessive and/or processed) carbs was causing the other illnesses?
I'm reading Metabolical by Robert Lustig on exactly this theory. Only on page 25 but it's so informative

Drfarxan

There's a terminology war between terms like remission & reversal.

Remission can be achieved by many T2s who adopt a low carb diet & a less sedentary lifestyle.
If you remove the carbs from your diet then glucose levels can run as low as a non-diabetic so risk of complications is reduced accordingly.
To maintain remission this diet/behaviour must be for life.

There are a small subset of T2s, normally obese, who can achieve a reversal of their T2 through large weight loss especially with a low diagnostic level & short duration of the disease.
This means they can pass all 3 diagnostic tests, FBG, A1c & OGTT.
These still need to remain diligent however with the knowledge they possess the trigger.
hey therei are you still continuing with low card after the weight loss and D2 reversal or are you confident enough to add more carbs it your diet? If you added more carbs do you measure how many grams per day or you don't need to?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey therei are you still continuing with low card after the weight loss and D2 reversal or are you confident enough to add more carbs it your diet? If you added more carbs do you measure how many grams per day or you don't need to?

I eat a moderate carb diet, 100-200g per day.
Normally just coffee in the mornings, 10g of carbs.
Sandwich & crisps for lunch, 45g of carbs.
Main meal could be pasta, rice, potato or even takeaway, >100g of carbs.
Normally walk the dog post dinner so any spike is flattened.
I might have a few beers or wine in the evening so say 10g for 2 cans of Coors Light.

On the weekends I'd have a fry with 2 slices of toast, 30g of carbs.

Only time I would see a high 2 hour reading is the rare occasion I have a large large meal & it's still pulsing through my gut.
I've seen enough CGM data on non-diabetics to realise this is normal, you eat a train of fat/carbs/protein the body takes time to process it, the pizza effect.
That's why the often quoted 2 hour <7.8(140) is only truly based on the short sharp shock of 75g OGTT, real world eating is far more complex.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone does type 2 diabetes reversal if so please anyone let me know the methodology yo revers it ..?
I reduced my blood glucose to normal levels (it's now in the 36-38 range on HbA1c) through a keto diet (which I'm still on). That means around 20g carbs/day, equivalent of one apple. No bread, pasta, flour-based items. sugar, root veg, fruit, rice, etc. I didn't and don't follow a "diet plan" - I just don't consume carbs in any quantity. Every 4-6 weeks I may have a slightly relaxed meal which would be "low-carb" rather than keto and therefore has a lot more carbs than I normally take in. Testing shows that after a meal like that my BGs elevate and stay elevated longer than I would like.

For me "reversal" would imply I was no longer diabetic, which I don't think is the case or ever will be the case. I prefer to say I'm in remission, by which I mean that my blood glucose is low enough not to cause further damage and symptoms. I had enough unpleasant symptoms long before my BGs reached the "official" diagnostic level so I need to make sure I keep my levels where they are now.

Reactions: AGC_68

1pilgrim

I use the glycemic index and find it quite helpful. The difference between it and cutting carbs completely is that it allows for certain carbs according to how much it raises your blood sugars. Foods are measured on a scale based on sugar being 100. If you google glycemic index it will take you to all the science behind the method.
I have found it provides me with choices that I otherwise wouldn’t have thought of. For example…

Sourdough bread has a GI rating of 54 and a GL rating of 8, while bread made from white wheat flour has a GI rating of 71 and a GL rating of 9. This combination of a GI rating of 54 and a GL rating of 8 puts sourdough bread in a low GI category, according to international tables.May 20, 2021

Sourdough bread is a much better choice in moderation. The method originates in Australia and is a rating system not a diet. It offers information that you can apply to your food choices. It includes all foods considered to have a carbohydrate content.

From Diabetes.ca

The glycemic index (GI) is a scale that ranks a carbohydrate-containing food or drink by how much it raises blood glucose after it is eaten or drank. Foods with a high GI increase blood glucose higher and faster than foods with a low GI.
There are three GI categories:
Low GI (≤ 55 GI units)
Medium GI (56 to 69 GI units)
High GI (≥ 70 GI units)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The GI/GL advantage doesn't work for everyone - I can digest things well and quickly, so the spikes are still there, or they would be if I had not tested and was eating them, which I don't.

Reactions: snawaz

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The GI/GL diet didn't work for me. I wasn't diabetic (but was probably pre diabetic) when my doctor told me to try it for weight loss. I gained 8 pounds in 2 weeks and after that I reverted to my own lower carb diet.

snawaz

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I reduced my blood glucose to normal levels (it's now in the 36-38 range on HbA1c) through a keto diet (which I'm still on). That means around 20g carbs/day, equivalent of one apple. No bread, pasta, flour-based items. sugar, root veg, fruit, rice, etc. I didn't and don't follow a "diet plan" - I just don't consume carbs in any quantity. Every 4-6 weeks I may have a slightly relaxed meal which would be "low-carb" rather than keto and therefore has a lot more carbs than I normally take in. Testing shows that after a meal like that my BGs elevate and stay elevated longer than I would like.

For me "reversal" would imply I was no longer diabetic, which I don't think is the case or ever will be the case. I prefer to say I'm in remission, by which I mean that my blood glucose is low enough not to cause further damage and symptoms. I had enough unpleasant symptoms long before my BGs reached the "official" diagnostic level so I need to make sure I keep my levels where they are now.

Please share the food which you are consuming in your daily routine..

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please share the food which you are consuming in your daily routine..
OK - meat, fish, cheese, above ground veg, cream, almonds, hazelnuts, mainly. So tonight I roasted a chicken and had cabbage and leeks in a cream sauce with it. Didn't eat anything else today, had a few coffees and a Coke Zero earlier. Played football. I might have a couple of strawberries with cream later.

This is fairly typical. If I want a light meal it's salami/ham, olives and cheese. I also sometimes have low-carb "bread" rolls at 3g carbs/roll. A bigger meal will be meat/fish based with some veg, like tonight.

Does that help?

Reactions: EllieM