What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Off out in a bit but not for food so recording my menu for today
Lunch hm lc celeriac and celery soup with a hm lc roll followed by a low carb brownie
Dinner salmon in lemon butter served with green beans and some mayonnaise on the side followed by lc blondie with cream
Planning on one or two gins in soda water this evening though may not stay too long as it’s an outdoor event at a local brewery which also stocks local gin - brr !!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a cold pressed pig and sheep heads, off cuts, hocks, trotters , some veggies combined,in a natural jelly that has been compressed into a mould.

https://www.cooked.com.au/Adrian-Ri...Meat/Charcuterie/Classic-jellied-brawn-recipe

q94k7dc.jpg
As a child I considered any savoury jelly an abomination, especially jelly derived from all those unspeakable animal parts. Only now at almost 80 have I realised the benefits of collagen.

Reactions: Annb and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you get the fat (what fat?) smoking hot? I think maybe I am too scared to let it smoke enough to get crispy, frilly fried eggs.

Beef dripping. For eggs I don’t get the fat smoking hot, usually start them off pretty low and adjust in line with how the rest of the meal is progressing. I wouldn’t over think this, it’s just eggs!

may not stay too long as it’s an outdoor event at a local brewery which also stocks local gin - brr !!

Rather you than me. ❄️❄️❄️

Getting back on topic, 2 meals today.

First was a little earlier than usual. Wondered why I was quite so hungry by 10.30am and then realised it was 22 hours since yesterday’s meal. 2 fried eggs and 3 rashers bacon.

Meal 2 was a combo of air fried lamb ribs and air fried pork belly pieces. Yum.

9200B80E-A4FA-4B21-AAE3-6C5A624E4410.jpeg A697F70F-BB6C-4130-966B-7FDEB0C6DF9E.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Savoy carbonara (my version - there are others)

Half a small savoy cabbage, shredded
Garlic to taste (I use 3 cloves) chopped as fine as possible
Streaky bacon - 5+ rashers cut into fine lardons
Small amount of butter to get the bacon going
Small amount of liquid - water, stock or lemon juice
Double cream - about 150 ml
Parmesan cheese, grated on a fine grater
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in the small amount of butter over a moderate heat until a little bit crisp.
Add the cabbage and the garlic, stir and turn the heat right down.
Add enough liquid to cover the base and stop the cabbage burning.
Cook over a very low heat until the cabbage is the texture you want (anything from crisp to very soft).
Add cream - it should well cover the cabbage.
Add grated Parmesan and stir in.
Serve straight away.
It does keep for a while in the fridge but it does tend to thicken overnight.

Cabbage and cheese recipe
:

Half a white cabbage, shredded.
Boil until just tender.
Drain (the water can go into a vegetable stock).
Add a small amount of full cream milk - usually about 75 - 100 ml.
Add grated cheddar, or other good melting cheese to taste - about 200 g - 300 g.
Stir in until melted and serve right away.
Doesn't reheat well.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you prepare it?
I happen to have all the ingredients and no idea yet what I will cook today...

I've just looked it up but alas, not available in the Netherlands.

I bought it from Amazon. No 2 son just tried it - he wouldn't be able to eat it but agreed with me that it would probably be good in a Mexican style mole or other chilli recipe.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the recipes, @Annb !
I'm just about to be off to the kitchen so your timing is perfect. :)

I did some googling, and some say to add egg, and some don't, so not sure yet what I'll do. I think I'll add some mushrooms as well (they really need to be eaten or I'll have to throw them away - guinea pigs don't eat mushrooms) and perhaps some onion.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a baking spree yesterday to restock freezer. Tried some granola bars as found my favourite branded "Yes" bar spiked me. Trouble is have eaten 2/3 of them already
2 went in yoghurt for breakfast
Another 2 or 3 got eaten after a walk. Realising how hungry I was I then ate crackers with mackerel pate and called it lunch.
Long afternoon on the computer. Couple more granola bars.
D: hubby cooked a recipe from his Portuguese book, sausages in cabbage rolls. The sauce had bacon and wine in, which my usual everyday version doesn't. Did add a certain richness to it.
Finished with a ready made 10 cal jelly. Probably a bit silly as on the verge of a migraine from the computer

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a PE salted caramel bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins coconut bar
Dinner: Low Carb Food Co pork pie with leafy salad, one cherry tomato and coleslaw followed by SF blackcurrant jelly and cream.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; lc granola, hi lo toast with butter
lunch; SLC chicken salad roll, protein bar
dinner; chicken fajitas on lc wrap with cheese and greek yoghurt (instead of sour cream), blackberries and cream
snack; mocha and a small handull of salted popcorn

Ordered a chacuterie board from local deli to pick up tomorrow. Looking forward to not cooking. Decided that after husband finally getting in for his op after 15 months wait, we should really try and minimise contact with folks and not go out to eat! Hope that hasn't jinxed it:( . Can't quite believe our wonderful NHS has managed to fit us in with all the problems at the moment so taking no chances......

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B-scrambled egg, crispy bacon and avocado.
L- deconstructed bacon cheeseburger ( fried bacon, mince, mushrooms on lettuce leaves topped with grated cheese and cherry toms)
D- husband’s birthday celebration - no3 daughter bought her raclette round. It’s a fun and sociable way to eat. Meat and veg are cooked on a tabletop grill and little boats containing cheese slide underneath so the cheese melts and you can pour it over your food. We had steak, chicken, asparagus, tender stem broccoli and mushrooms ( also mini corn cobs for some) . Cheeses included gruyere, truffle infused gruyere, St Agur and Emmental.
IMG_1641588809.539076.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dread to think what would happen to eggs in the air fryer
I have pierced / broken the yolk before putting a egg into the microwave, no explosive reaction happens.

Should work the same way in the fryer thingy, I can't try it because we do not have one.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NOTE: unless you are very brave and enjoy hot chilli, don't make the same mistake as I have just done and try a dark chocolate called Black Widow, subtitled "grim reaper". It contains ghost chilli and it hurts!
I’d use that chocolate in beef chilli. The chocolate thickens up the sauce nicely.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been unusually hungry today. Possibly due to getting caught in a hail and sleet shower whilst out for a walk.
Brunch: Fage full fat yogurt, raspberies, black coffee
Mid afternoon: boiled egg, mayonnaise, stilton, 2low carb crackers, black coffee
Dinner: butter fried hake, green beans , low sugar tonic water
Evening snack: glass of low sugar coconut milk, pork scratchings.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese and omelette, mushrooms. two slices vegimite on low carb toast.
Half a slice of cake that Isabella the Blue Care nurse from PNG brought with her, lemon cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
Cottage pie with mashed JAP pumpkin on my bit, green veggies for lunch.
Cold chicken leg and a bit of salad for supper at six.

Had to fix the hot water heater yesterday, the heating element burnt out and had to replace it. Had to phone my old company for one, they came around in the arvo and fitted it for me. Mates rates I hope. :D

Edit: To many fixes.

Last edited:

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
sorry if this is repeating anyones comments on the thread!
@Jayne1983 I eat Fibre one protein bars. They are 4.4g per bar and come in two flavours. They are small but if you want that chocolate hit do the job. Also just trying Adonis bars which are more expensive. These are nutty and hover around the 5-6g mark depending on flavour. Links below to ocado, but fibre one are in Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons too. Or try amazon for bulk buying.
https://www.fibreone.co.uk/product-category/protein-bars/
https://ketonis.co.ukc
Hi thanks I went to Asda today and the cookies and cream once’s were £1.25 for a box of 3 so I got 7 boxes I’m going give the kids the weight watchers ones they weren’t worth it lol

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the tag @shelley262 , yes @Jayne1983 I love the low carb protein bars. There are more available now than when I first discovered them 4 plus years ago, and are getting into more mainstream shops, rather than just health food stores. Even Costa sells a small selection of Carb Killas now.
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a PE protein bar from Holland and Barrett.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Food Dr protein bar bought in Tesco bar.
Dinner: scrambled eggs on marmite LC toast followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.
Hi thanks yes I got the protein ones to day from Asda I’ve given my kids the weight watchers ones I’ve also bought a couple of the carb killa bars they r quite big so I will just have half of one x thanks

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast black coffee.: plant based protein 2 carbs with almond milk.. dinner low carb bread with chicken bacon mayo protein crisps (sweet chilli) from my protein world.. snack 10 cal jelly with protein bar black coffee 2 crab sticks.. tea cheese and ham omelette 2 x dark low sugar chocolate. Supper 3x vodka n zero spite with some cockles and mussels

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted, buttered and filled with cheese & ham. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. 2 slices of a roast beef joint & couple of pieces of kebab meat that I pinched from other peoples plates ...