What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have pierced / broken the yolk before putting a egg into the microwave, no explosive reaction happens.

Should work the same way in the fryer thingy, I can't try it because we do not have one.

I wouldn’t expect an explosion, but having seen what happens to ‘loose’ pepperoni, I would expect scrambled egg attached to the sides of the fryer!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the recipes, @Annb !
I'm just about to be off to the kitchen so your timing is perfect. :)

I did some googling, and some say to add egg, and some don't, so not sure yet what I'll do. I think I'll add some mushrooms as well (they really need to be eaten or I'll have to throw them away - guinea pigs don't eat mushrooms) and perhaps some onion.

I sometimes use cabbage as a substitute for pasta. So, whatever pasta sauce (meat/tomato/cream) would work well with cabbage. One can be creative!

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted, buttered and filled with cheese & ham. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. 2 slices of a roast beef joint & couple of pieces of kebab meat that I pinched from other peoples plates ...
That sounds nice

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Long post because I'm so happy with my discovery, and I completely forgot to tell you!

I sometimes use cabbage as a substitute for pasta. So, whatever pasta sauce (meat/tomato/cream) would work well with cabbage. One can be creative!
The thing is, I've never made or eaten spaghetti carbonara either, so it was mainly the sauce part I needed to know about! :hilarious:
I've used crème fraîche, because that's what I had in the fridge, and I added onion, mushrooms, garlic and black pepper, and I did add the egg in the end.

Very yummy, so good thing I've made enough for at least two days! :hungry:
Please ignore the messy plate, I had to defend both plate and pot from a very single-minded cat when transferring food from pot to plate. :D

271602824_10224911938300055_2349778877330609297_n.jpg

Cauliflower purée with boeuf bourguignon. Although I seemed to have scooped mostly vegetables in this particular freezer container. Still tasted lovely though! :)

I have a little left over still, about half a portion of purée and haf a portion of sauce. So what to add to that tomorrow to make a full meal?
And I've forgotten to update you on what happened to the leftover boeuf bourguignon.
Not only did it turn out very tasty, using some of your suggestions, it also lead to a very happy life-changing discovery!

I added cheese and cream cheese, and a some sorry looking cubed bacon dug up from the depths of my freezer and mixed everything. While this likely added enough calories to make a filling meal, it didn't do much to make the portion look bigger, and I wanted a hearty plate of food.
No matter what your stomach says, if your eyes say it's not enough, it's likely to be disappointing.

I still had some andijvie (I don't dare translate, as it comes out as chicory, so I'll add a picture of a head of andijvie. It is family of chicory and has a bitter taste.) for the guinea pigs, so I cut some and added it raw to my plate before heating.

Not only did this work out very well, it also means my beloved stamppot andijvie is back on the menu!
It's a traditional Dutch food: mashed potatoes and lots of raw andijvie, eaten with bacon, a thin gravy and sometimes rookworst (a Dutch sausage) or meatballs, and I like to add cheese cubes too.
My little experiment proves I can do this with mashed cauliflower instead of potato, and I'm very much looking forward to eating it again after five years!

Pic of andijvie. Anyone know what it's called? Or is it something not generally used outside the Netherlands?
upload_2022-1-8_13-19-48.jpeg

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it’s endive, a type of lettuce from the chicory family

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So not very common in the UK?
That's a shame really, it tastes very good!

On the Islands we don't see it very often but the endives we do see (Belgian endive) are not the frilly ones of your picture, but small cup-shaped leaves; sometimes pale green and sometimes red. The leaves are very tightly wrapped in a kind of tulip shape.

The one in your picture is called curly endive or Frisee. Haven't seen it for years but I think it is more bitter than the ones we can get.

There is another one called Escarole which I have seen but never tasted. I gather that it is a bit less bitter in the middle but the outer leaves are tougher and more bitter and useful for cooking.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can get endive from Waitrose. I like it, but it is not to everyone’s taste.
@Antje77 , I scan read your post, and for a terrible moment thought you had sliced guinea pig into your beef bourginon

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can get endive from Waitrose. I like it, but it is not to everyone’s taste.
@Antje77 , I scan read your post, and for a terrible moment thought you had sliced guinea pig into your beef bourginon
I'd never do that, way too many little bones!

• Funny
Reactions: aylalake

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the endives we do see (Belgian endive) are not the frilly ones of your picture, but small cup-shaped leaves; sometimes pale green and sometimes red. The leaves are very tightly wrapped in a kind of tulip shape.
I buy these from Morrisons, though they are far too expensive (albeit cheaper than in Waitrose), because I love the crispness and slight bitterness. They keep very well in the fridge and leaves can be peeled off to suit. For those who like the taste, endive leaves could stand in for bread.
upload_2022-1-8_16-17-48.jpeg

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy these from Morrisons, though they are far too expensive (albeit cheaper than in Waitrose), because I love the crispness and slight bitterness. They keep very well in the fridge and leaves can be peeled off to suit. For those who like the taste, endive leaves could stand in for bread.
View attachment 52792
We have those as well (called 'witlof' here) and I love them, but I'd never think to make a stamppot from them. They're a completely different food from the green lettuce like stuff, even though they're in the same family.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks I went to Asda today and the cookies and cream once’s were £1.25 for a box of 3 so I got 7 boxes I’m going give the kids the weight watchers ones they weren’t worth it lol
That's a good offer, less than half price!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for a terrible moment thought you had sliced guinea pig into your beef bourginon
In Bolivia (and no doubt other countries in that neck of the woods) guinea pigs are kept for their meat. A friend was visiting a Bolivian household with her children. They admired the tribe of guinea pigs running around the kitchen floor. Asked which they liked best, they picked the prettiest. Imagine their horror when it was immediately butchered and cooked for their dinner!
PS @Antje77 the bones were the least of their troubles.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
breakfast; lc granola, hi lo toast with butter
lunch; chacuterie selection from deli, 3 batons hotel chocolat 85%
dinner; SLC not cross bun, raspberries and cream
snack; mocha and a small handfull of salted popcorn

hmm, not a nutritious day, but at least I had some raspberries! Hi lo visit to sainsburys this morning only resulted in three loaves one of which I realised the packaging had split when I got home:banghead:. Three loaves will last a while but at one point I had 14 loaves frozen as back up (sainsburys is a long way from our house):rolleyes:

Also, Hotel Chocolat 85% hot chocolate was delivered today. Looking forward too trying these as an odd treat. They're 7.7gms per sachet

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
That's a good offer, less than half price!
I know I couldn’t believe it there normally £2.89 a box they are really nice to, I’m going buy these from now on. Can I just ask were do you buy your lc Granola and what’s in it and do you put milk on it like almond milk? I’ve never tried it x

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spent most of the day cooking for tomorrow’s 2nd Christmas do. (For the family who weren’t here on actual Christmas)
B- 2 fried eggs on Gouda on smoked ham.
L- LoDough quiche as there was a bit of filling left after I’d filled the crust of tomorrow’s chicken curry pie. DGF cake and cream.
D- chicken breast in mushroom and garlic sauce with green beans then a handful of 100% chocolates. @Goonergal how are you doing with the the chocabstinence? I can’t believe I haven’t even lasted a week.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I couldn’t believe it there normally £2.89 a box they are really nice to, I’m going buy these from now on. Can I just ask were do you buy your lc Granola and what’s in it and do you put milk on it like almond milk? I’ve never tried it x
I used to make my own but going through a lazy period! At the moment I'm eating Berry and Almond from the Paleo Foods Co with a little almond milk but probably good with greek yoghurt. It's 5.9g carbs per 40g bowl. It's very seedy obviously, and I get it from ocado. As with all low carb non home made stuff its expensive, I've seen it in Sainsbury's but not sure who else stocks it. They do other varieties but not checked out the carbs on those yet.

https://www.paleofoodscompany.com/shop/2q4eh1ecf5mbj61xfu7lx6sjado9zs

Reactions: Jayne1983

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke very very early grrr!
B: Hm granola bars broken into a bowl then mixed with ff plain greek yoghurt
Yoga
L: half a sausage, 4 streaky rashers of bacon, 2 eggs scrambled. 3 squares of hm lc millionaires shortbread that broke as I got it out of the tin into the freezer.
D: hm chicken curry served in a roasted pepper, all invented and cooked by my son. Very tasty
I square hm lc ginger cake with half a scoop icecream