Walking To Mordor...

Beating-My-Betes

...and back again. Or just join in for part of the journey, Choose one of the destinations/goals from the chart below, and go for that goal

Thought this might be a challenge others might want to join in with.

The idea is to log all self-propelled mileage (Walk, run, swim, cycle etc.) following Sam and Frodo's journey. The journey to Mount Doom is 1779 Miles, but one can decide to complete the full round-trip, back to Hobbiton (3404 Miles).

No termination date. Go at your own pace. as this is not a race. It's just hopefully a good way to keep accountable for anyone who has fitness goals.

I'll be setting out on Monday 10th, but people can join in as and they like.

Here's to a fitter '22 :)

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 15.03.25.png

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm looking especially forward to the leg from Mordor to Minas Tirith!

Reactions: EllieM

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
...and back again.

Thought this might be a challenge others might want to join in with.

The idea is to log all self-propelled mileage (Walk, run, swim, cycle etc.) following Sam and Frodo's journey. The journey to Mount Doom is 1779 Miles, but one can decide to complete the full round-trip, back to Hobbiton (3404 Miles).

No termination date. Go at your own pace. as this is not a race. It's just hopefully a good way to keep accountable for anyone who has fitness goals.

I'll be setting out on Monday 10th, but people can join in as and they like.

Here's to a fitter '22 :)

View attachment 52790
Well… I just got Smaug tattooed on my back and have an interpretation of the misty mountains and Gandalf/others on their march halfway complete so this seems like a sign to me! (Yeah wrong books but still!)

Are you counting specific exercise or cumulative throughout the day?

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

Well… I just got Smaug tattooed on my back and have an interpretation of the misty mountains and Gandalf/others on their march halfway complete so this seems like a sign to me! (Yeah wrong books but still!)

Are you counting specific exercise or cumulative throughout the day?

Great tat inspiration. Maybe you'll show 'em when complete (No pressure, of course)

And it's cumulative. Whatever you have showing on whatever wearable/phone you use will count. So if you want to rack up a few-hundred steps while brushing your teeth, making coffee etc. it all counts...unless you want to limit yourself to specific exercise bouts. Up to you

The movement is key. The challenge just gives the goal a tangible form.

mouseee

Love this idea. I once organised a lands end to John o'groats virtual wlak/run where we added the mileage on altogether.
I need to move more.. this being written from a lying down position on the sofa.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed! Does that mean you're in?
Erm, I should walk more, definitely. Anxiety and depression don't really play fair when it comes to doing things though, and they play determinately unfair when I set myself a goal and I don't do whatever my goal was, leading to nasty bouts of self-loathing.
So I'm afraid it would take me an awful long time until I finally reach the part where I get to ride an eagle, and the road would take me to depths as dark as Isengard before the ents set things right!

So no, I'm out, but I shared your post with two of my non diabetic friends, and one of them is going to do your walk with a sturdy little pony she visits a couple of times a week, and the other one is thinking about doing this with the combined steps of her family! :)

Meet Banjer (which coincidentally translates to something like 'Strider' :)), who's going to walk to Mordor!

152497127_3722081604528271_932015463287808387_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great tat inspiration. Maybe you'll show 'em when complete (No pressure, of course)

And it's cumulative. Whatever you have showing on whatever wearable/phone you use will count. So if you want to rack up a few-hundred steps while brushing your teeth, making coffee etc. it all counts...unless you want to limit yourself to specific exercise bouts. Up to you

The movement is key. The challenge just gives the goal a tangible form.
Well I’m up for it, my exercise bike now helpfully syncs with apple health so need to look into apps that will allow cumulative totals from a certain date, so will set from Monday and see how it goes :)

(and yes, can show when complete)

Last edited:
Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

Love this idea. I once organised a lands end to John o'groats virtual wlak/run where we added the mileage on altogether.
I need to move more.. this being written from a lying down position on the sofa.

Did you finish the trek?

Glad you seem interested. Hope you join in.

Beating-My-Betes

Erm, I should walk more, definitely. Anxiety and depression don't really play fair when it comes to doing things though, and they play determinately unfair when I set myself a goal and I don't do whatever my goal was, leading to nasty bouts of self-loathing.
So I'm afraid it would take me an awful long time until I finally reach the part where I get to ride an eagle, and the road would take me to depths as dark as Isengard before the ents set things right!

So no, I'm out, but I shared your post with two of my non diabetic friends, and one of them is going to do your walk with a sturdy little pony she visits a couple of times a week, and the other one is thinking about doing this with the combined steps of her family! :)

Meet Banjer (which coincidentally translates to something like 'Strider' :)), who's going to walk to Mordor!

152497127_3722081604528271_932015463287808387_n.jpg

As someone who is no stranger to visits from the 'Black Dog', anxiety and self-loathing, I can empathise. All I can say is that movement is the one signal that manages to cut through much of that noise, for me. It's a chain-reaction of endorphins, triggering positive feelings, which beget more positive thoughts.

One way to think about it is to make goals so tiny that it's almost impossible not to do them. That might not be applicable to this, as it's quite a distance. But maybe of other things. I like Tim Van Orden's approach to this, and the trap/dichotomy of goal setting. Maybe it speaks to you...maybe not. Either way, hope '22 is a brighter year for you :)

Anyway, thanks for the photo of this beautiful animal. If it's agains the rules for non-diabetics to join, maybe they could send weekly/monthly figures via you (Assuming you'd want to be involved, of course).

Beating-My-Betes

Well I’m up for it, my exercise bike now helpfully syncs with apple health so need to look into apps that will allow cumulative totals from a certain date, so will set from Monday and see how it goes :)

(and yes, can show when complete)

Great! I guess if it doesn't log everything perfectly, you might need to get the ol' calculator out :) While it's cool if people show screenshots/share data, there's no obligation. So 'back of a napkin' calculations will do fine, if it's too hard to sync all the data.

Like I said, it's not a race. So details don't even have to be 100% accurate. Share however is easiest

Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm looking especially forward to the leg from Mordor to Minas Tirith!
A long time since I read the book, but they flew that leg of the journey by Eagle Airlines.

There was a river cruise in there some where as well.

If was a lot healthier I would have a crack at this for a challenge, but my wheelie walker named "Bill" has gone in the right fetlock.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great! I guess if it doesn't log everything perfectly, you might need to get the ol' calculator out :) While it's cool if people show screenshots/share data, there's no obligation. So 'back of a napkin' calculations will do fine, if it's too hard to sync all the data.

Like I said, it's not a race. So details don't even have to be 100% accurate. Share however is easiest
Yeah agreed. I like the idea though, not a race but a bit of fun. I like these things to not be pushing each other but instead encouraging

Also, not finished mountain wise but this is where I am so far, as you can probably see, it’s a cover of old not good ones

Attachments

• 4025E630-1C7A-40AF-BD0A-7D85902E5AE0.jpeg
    4025E630-1C7A-40AF-BD0A-7D85902E5AE0.jpeg
    705.1 KB · Views: 206

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, not finished mountain wise but this is where I am so far, as you can probably see, it’s a cover of old not good ones
That is a stunning tattoo, even if it's not completely finished, I love it!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Nice art, must be really painful having it done though.

I quite like the idea of the Mordor walk, maybe I'll get to Rivendell by the end of the year. :). We could have fun making up anecdotes about what's happened on the way. (Oops, almost got caught by some black riders, had to give them the slip at the supermarket.)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I can manage the walk to The Green Dragon pub in Hobbiton for a low carb beer or three.
Not a bad goal at all!
@Beating-My-Betes , perhaps you can add the distance to closer goals, like Bree, so the likes of @Riva_Roxaban and I can enjoy a beer in The Prancing Pony, or visit Tom Bombadil on cumulative outings.
We could have fun making up anecdotes about what's happened on the way. (Oops, almost got caught by some black riders, had to give them the slip at the supermarket.)
I'd love that!