Covid

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello this has probably been mentioned many times as it's worrying to read online about Diabetes and Covid. I am 23 years old and have had Diabetes for 10 years. My last hca1 was 53 in UK terms. Am I at severe risk? Also I have had symtoms for about 5 days but the PCR tests have only just picked it up on day 5 where I feel terrible and achy. What's everyone's experience with Covid and what advice do you have?

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello this has probably been mentioned many times as it's worrying to read online about Diabetes and Covid. I am 23 years old and have had Diabetes for 10 years. My last hca1 was 53 in UK terms. Am I at severe risk? Also I have had symtoms for about 5 days but the PCR tests have only just picked it up on day 5 where I feel terrible and achy. What's everyone's experience with Covid and what advice do you have?
To add I'm Type 1 I meant

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I was genuinely due to go to get my booster today but had to cancel as symptoms were getting worse
Hi, I am also type 1 & had covid just over a year ago. Best advice I can give is to make sure you follow your sick day rules & take medication that you would normally take for flu/cold. Keep your fluids up & check your BG regularly. If levels are high check for ketones. I found my BG had unexpected lows aswell as expected highs.
Hope you feel much better soon & seek medical support if you are concerned.
All the best.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looking at the criteria which make us more at risk regarding diabetes, the biggest factors seem to be weight, diabetes management gender and age.
We can’t do much about the latter two but provided you are not overweight and have a HbA1C below 75 (which you do @JCBBFC27 ), your risk is little higher than someone without diabetes and likely to be better than someone with undiagnosed diabetes.

Look after yourself (follow sick day rules), protect others by isolating as much as possible and don’t panic. With 2 jabs, your risk of severe covid is again reduced.

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well little worrying update. My ketone level is at 1.5 but my blood sugar's are at 10. Is this normal during having an illness? Calling 111 now as this is slightly worrying

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Covid right now as well. My blood sugar is running about 30% higher than normal. Hoping it goes back down soon.
I think mines caused from not eating much in the past few days and probably not taking extra insulin even though my sugars aren't that high

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had covid a couple of weeks ago. A few days after having my booster
Symptoms were mild thankfully. Body aches etc
But
Blood sugars high
And
Unfortunately still high
Bit of a nightmare
But I don't feel.unwell and I hope sugar levels will settle

Reactions: JCBBFC27

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had covid a couple of weeks ago. A few days after having my booster
Symptoms were mild thankfully. Body aches etc
But
Blood sugars high
And
Unfortunately still high
Bit of a nightmare
But I don't feel.unwell and I hope sugar levels will settle
Pretty much the same! Not that unwell just having to deal with the Diabetes side of things. My ketones are back down to 0.2 for now

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on day 4 and bloods back to normal. My moning bloods went from my usual 4 - 4.5 to 4.9 and 5.5 and tested positive the same morning but to day its back to normal with a 4.0. I have to wait till tuesday for my day 6 test. I didnt notice having it, my voice got a bit deeper but i took lozengers with zinc in but my wife was pretty bad and the children had sore throats so my advice would be stock up on throat lozengers, spary and something cold for the throat, icecream for the non diabetics :)

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on day 4 and bloods back to normal. My moning bloods went from my usual 4 - 4.5 to 4.9 and 5.5 and tested positive the same morning but to day its back to normal with a 4.0. I have to wait till tuesday for my day 6 test. I didnt notice having it, my voice got a bit deeper but i took lozengers with zinc in but my wife was pretty bad and the children had sore throats so my advice would be stock up on throat lozengers, spary and something cold for the throat, icecream for the non diabetics :)
Back to 1.8 again this morning
I feel like this is going to be a constant battle

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to 1.8 again this morning
I feel like this is going to be a constant battle
I feel like I take a big correction and drink lots of water it comes down to even minimal Ketones. 5 hours later it decides to shoot up again. My blood sugar's the highest they've been is 15.0 but again comes straight back down again. For the past few days I've not really been eating properly, do you think this could also be causing this unusual behaviour?

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feel like I take a big correction and drink lots of water it comes down to even minimal Ketones. 5 hours later it decides to shoot up again. My blood sugar's the highest they've been is 15.0 but again comes straight back down again. For the past few days I've not really been eating properly, do you think this could also be causing this unusual behaviour?
I've been told that If you don't eat for long periods you can get ketone so that could be the cause. Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: JCBBFC27

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told that If you don't eat for long periods you can get ketone so that could be the cause. Hope you feel better soon.
I can see th correlation. My blood sugar's are rather high but every two hours I'm having a piece of toast or an apple. Just tested again and it's LO which is crazy

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Next update, feel like I'm bringing everyone on my Covid journey . Yesterday morning I made a short visit to the hospital as doctor's wanted to have me checked over as I had a temperature. I have been given a 7 day course of antibiotics. Anyway to make it relevant I adjusted my Lantus two units up then my blood sugar's dipped a little last night. I've woken up with rather high blood sugar's and 0.9 ketones which is better than what I was waking up on before. Another Novorapid correction should sort this out and some nice water.

Last edited:

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Update a few days later. Still feeling a little unwell with a heavy head but an improvement from what I was. My sugars haven't been as bad still waking up with some ketones but soon come down when I correct. Hopefully my body mends itself soon.

Reactions: finzi1966