Basal insulin and exercise

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have a guide on basal reduction according to exercise?
e.g. aerobic exercise-reduce basal by 10% etc

I couod swear I have seen this guide somewhere!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I couod swear I have seen this guide somewhere!

Not me unfortunately. I suspect that it's one of those things that you have to learn by personal experience. Plus the amount of exercise (a marathon or a 30 minute weights session?) would make a difference, you'd think.

I personally find that I often need to add some bolus if I do strength exercises/weights, whereas a long walk makes me need less insulin/basal. But that's just my body and others will be different....

Reactions: Lynz84

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Depending on the insulin type and method of use you can not adjust the Basal for exercise ie tresiba you have to make changes 3 days prior.... so in some cases a snack will be the best option.

I'm on a pump.. so can adjust at will and was discussing this a couple of days ago with my nurse and she was suggesting a reduction of upto 30%

Another risk of basal adjustment when injected you risk being high the rest of the day... so may need corrections

Longer term you'll learn what works for you... just remember to carry treatment/snacks

Reactions: Lynz84 and EllieM

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stick with the view that only bolus should be adjusted for exercise.

My basal changes are made slowly and over days and weeks using my waking blood tests and fasting to see if changes are needed. If I get up and don't eat, my blood sugar will sit steadily at the same number as I woke up with.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many years ago, when I was using Lantus, I attended a talk by the doctor who treated Steve Redgrave and advised on his insulin regime whilst training. His recommendation was to reduce basal by 20% for 24 to 48 hours after intensive exercise.
As previously mentioned, this depends upon your basal insulin. It suited me for Lantus and imagine it suits Levemir but would be a problem for Tresiba which takes 3 days for a change to take effect.

Last edited: