Type 2 Help

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with T2. So far I've managed with metformin and diet, my last HBA1C was 61 in October 2021, I've managed to get it to 41 before with a strict diet. The past few months I have been under considerable stress and I'm menopausal. I haven't checked my blood sugars but last year when I did them (June) they were about 8 (not great I know) when waking and they varied throughout the day. Today I decided to check them, my reading when I got up was 15 and my reading 2 hours after 2 sausages and 1 slice of wholemeal toast is 16.4.
Has anyone any idea why my readings have nearly doubled in a few months and what can I do to stabilise them quickly?

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone any idea why my readings have nearly doubled in a few months

Your T2 has got worse over time as many of us have found

what can I do to stabilise them quickly?

Cut carbs to a minimum base your meals around meat, fish, eggs, green veg and full fat dairy.
Maybe think about reducing your eating window too.
Those are the things that have helped many of us get our sugars back down.
Have a read around here too
https://phcuk.org/resources/
as well as
https://www.dietdoctor.com

Reactions: andi2508

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hia what sort of things are you eating as I know wholemeal or any kind of bread would spike me. Also the sausage content might be impacting - hidden things in sausages. I tend to go for black farmer sausages, pricey but nice. Stress can also impact.

andi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was off the rails over Christmas and for the last few months, no control and eating what the rest of my family ate. To be honest my control was never really great but I seemed to get away with it until now. I have to get a grip, I feel like an idiot, I should have been dealing with it, it was only a matter of time. I just didn't think it would get this bad this quickly. Back to low carb it is with 2 meals per day and an eating window of 12-7. I am fairly active but I will get back to the gym and start weight training. My biggest fear is I done too much damage, can I get back to reasonable levels?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I was off the rails over Christmas and for the last few months, no control and eating what the rest of my family ate. To be honest my control was never really great but I seemed to get away with it until now. I have to get a grip, I feel like an idiot, I should have been dealing with it, it was only a matter of time. I just didn't think it would get this bad this quickly. Back to low carb it is with 2 meals per day and an eating window of 12-7. I am fairly active but I will get back to the gym and start weight training. My biggest fear is I done too much damage, can I get back to reasonable levels?
I don't think its ever too late for anything. My levels have dropped off since low carb diet and exercise. Getting away with it up till now is probably what you needed if you know what I mean, I was exactly the same and if I can do it I am sure you can ;) As people on here have said its not a marathon

Reactions: andi2508 and EllieM

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My biggest fear is I done too much damage, can I get back to reasonable levels?

There's every chance you can dramatically improve things with the right approach. When diagnosed my HbA1c was 109 and my BS readings were high teens and spiking into the 20's. Now, after a period of very low carb and time restricted eating, my blood sugars sit comfortably in the 4's and 5's and HbA1c is down to 34. There is nothing more important than your health, you can do it.