Why are my BG so varied

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I’m really trying to get my BG under control since going on insulin but what I can’t get my head round is why when I eat the same breakfast every day is one day after 2 hours it will have risen by 2 yet on another day it rises by 5
The other day on rising it was 7.9 after breakfast it was 9.8
Today on rising it was 8.9 yet 2 hours later it was 15.9 but I’d eaten exactly the same
Does this happen to others on here. Other members on here so to do so well with low carbing

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, happens to me all the time. On some days I can need twice as much insulin for the exact same food as on other days.

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
Im glad I’m not alone in this, I’m on levimer twice a day but am seriously thinking that I may need to be on a bolus as well. I was supposed to see the DN last Friday but it’s been changed to this afternoon so I’ll discuss it with her. I’m not sure if you can be on both or if it would be a complete change

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are so many things that affect our blood sugars that we could eat the same amount every day and have different results.
I believe I could eat and drink the same, do exactly the exercise, have a job without any stress and live in a sealed bubble so don't pick up any lurgy but still have variations due to hormones, sleep, boredom, weather, heat, ...

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im glad I’m not alone in this, I’m on levimer twice a day but am seriously thinking that I may need to be on a bolus as well. I was supposed to see the DN last Friday but it’s been changed to this afternoon so I’ll discuss it with her. I’m not sure if you can be on both or if it would be a complete change
I'm on Levemir for basal and Novorapid for bolus & high blood glucose correction. I'd suggest you ask for separate basal and bolus insulins as that way you can adjust for what you eat.

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I'm on Levemir for basal and Novorapid for bolus & high blood glucose correction. I'd suggest you ask for separate basal and bolus insulins as that way you can adjust for what you eat.
Thanks for that I wasnt sure if you could be on both or if it was one or the other . Ill definatly ask their afternoon. Apart from starving myself I can’t see how I can get my sugars down

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that I wasnt sure if you could be on both or if it was one or the other . Ill definatly ask their afternoon. Apart from starving myself I can’t see how I can get my sugars down
Type 1's are always on basal and bolus. The basal to keep BG regulated in the absense of food, like overnight and between meals, the bolus to deal with food.

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
Stupid me forgot to take my glucose book with me but I explained what was happening but I was of the opinion she couldn’t get me out of the room fast enough. I was only with her 5 minutes . She doesn’t want to do anything much till ive seen the hospital dietician but has increased the levimer to 20 units twice a day . Ive realised tho I hadn’t taken my insulin this morning . Ive now set up a reminder on my Alexa so hopefully I won’t forget again.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m really trying to get my BG under control since going on insulin but what I can’t get my head round is why when I eat the same breakfast every day is one day after 2 hours it will have risen by 2 yet on another day it rises by 5
The other day on rising it was 7.9 after breakfast it was 9.8
Today on rising it was 8.9 yet 2 hours later it was 15.9 but I’d eaten exactly the same
Does this happen to others on here. Other members on here so to do so well with low carbing

Hi,

Injection site choice could also be another factor along with all the other suggestions? Which can cause variables in how the insulin performs.