Need diet advice

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I am type 2 diabetic on metformin. My A1C had been running about 5.3 and I was also taking Januvia. I tried keto for 1 year. My A1C at 6 months and 1 year was 4.8 and I was able to get off Januvia. Fasting glucose went down, too. I think 115 to 100. And, I lost 15 lbs. my lipids were good. I also cut way back on drinking alcohol. From about once/week to once/every few months.

I went off keto over the holidays and am having a hard time getting back into it. Part of it is that I find it restrictive.

The other part is that aside from losing a med it does not seem like much change. Is it? I have another blood test in Feb.

My husband eats low carb but not keto. He changed his diet when he was diagnosed type 2 and has normal numbers now with no medication.

I feel good. When I would eat a lot of sugary sweets I would get tired.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in America. I will go look up conversions for the numbers.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.8% = 29 mmol/mol. 5.3% =34.4 mmol/mol
100 mg/dL=5.6 mmol/L. 115 mg/dL = 6.4 mmol/L
15 lbs is about 1 stone

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums @lorib64.

I understand your numbers and in my opinion they are pretty good. You've done really well to lose weight and come off meds.

My husband eats low carb but not keto. He changed his diet when he was diagnosed type 2 and has normal numbers now with no medication.
Have you got a meter? I understand that you might feel the keto diet too restrictive, but what would your levels be like if you ate the same diet as your spouse? It's a lot easier to maintain a diet if you are sharing it with someone else and low carb is a lot less restrictive. But you'd need to a meter to detect how well your body copes with slightly higher carbs.

As for the benefits, you've both lost weight, come off medication and from the sound of it, all your figures are awesome. Most important, you feel good.

The trouble with using medication to mitigate a carb level that is too high for your body is that it can be a bit of a slippery slope, as in you end up needing more and more meds and eventually possibly insulin. That is not necessarily a problem if that's the way you want to go (my cousin does this because he doesn't want to give up his carbs) but it's a decision you have to make.

Personally, if I were in your position, I'd get a meter and find out what my body can and can't tolerate. Then you can make an informed decision on your long term diet plans.

Hopefully some T2s will be along soon to give their thoughts, it's a bit quiet at the moment because most of the UK forumites are asleep.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although my diabetes was dealt with by low carbing for 6 months, I still put on weight very easily so I stay at under 40gm of carbs a day - gradually I got over the horrendous side effects of the Metformin and Atorvastatin, relearned a lot of what I'd forgotten, the pains in my legs gradually went away, and I settled down to the rest of my live, but after 4 years I had a blood test for my Thyroxine supplement, and was told to reduce it and recheck levels, reduce again, and again. It seems that my thyroid was not dead, just sleeping and now it is stirring again.
I suspect that it indicates that the usual way of eating, with lots of 'healthy' carbs, is just not right for me, and that sticking to low carb will be beneficial.
Here in the UK we only have at most 12 days of Christmas, so less time for things to become a habit. If you feel your energy flagging that might be an early sign of things beginning to get out of balance, and starting to plan for lower carb meals would be a good idea.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went off keto over the holidays and am having a hard time getting back into it. Part of it is that I find it restrictive

What is it that you find restrictive? If you mention the things you miss, then others may be able to suggest alternatives that would help.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is it that you find restrictive? If you mention the things you miss, then others may be able to suggest alternatives that would help.

Thank you. My friend offered me oranges fresh from the tree. Hard to resist. I know I can have some berries, and do but it is hard for me to see fruit as bad for me. I like crunchy foods. I have been eating jicama, cucumber, radishes.

I also found out I am lactose intolerant and the heavy cream and cheeses that helped satiate are a no go. I can have a little still, but not a lot.

I am not a big meat eater. We have mostly poultry and I have some but more veggies. I have non dairy protein powder I add to green smoothies.

I have been eating more like my husband lately with more veggies. He gave up sweets years ago, but I have trouble resisting temptation.

I like easy to make, grab and go foods.

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forums @lorib64.

I understand your numbers and in my opinion they are pretty good. You've done really well to lose weight and come off meds.

Have you got a meter? I understand that you might feel the keto diet too restrictive, but what would your levels be like if you ate the same diet as your spouse? It's a lot easier to maintain a diet if you are sharing it with someone else and low carb is a lot less restrictive. But you'd need to a meter to detect how well your body copes with slightly higher carbs.

As for the benefits, you've both lost weight, come off medication and from the sound of it, all your figures are awesome. Most important, you feel good.

The trouble with using medication to mitigate a carb level that is too high for your body is that it can be a bit of a slippery slope, as in you end up needing more and more meds and eventually possibly insulin. That is not necessarily a problem if that's the way you want to go (my cousin does this because he doesn't want to give up his carbs) but it's a decision you have to make.

Personally, if I were in your position, I'd get a meter and find out what my body can and can't tolerate. Then you can make an informed decision on your long term diet plans.

Hopefully some T2s will be along soon to give their thoughts, it's a bit quiet at the moment because most of the UK forumites are asleep.

Yes, I have a meter. And a scale. I will start checking more often.