Tslim Tandem or Dana RS with Dexcom?

Sarahq1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, my insulin pump is due for an upgrade and I have to decide by next week (I've put off the decision for months!). I have used Medtronic for the last 8 years but have been told if I want to use a "closed loop" system I will have to change to either the Dana RS, Tslim Tandem or Ominpod pump. My diabetic nurse has told me that Dexcom CGM is soon to be approved by the NHS in certain areas of the UK and these 3 pumps will be compatible with it. Does anyone have any experience with the Dana or Tslim pumps? (I think Omipod will be too different to what I am used to!) I've spent ages researching them both and still don't know which to choose! Thanks
upload_2022-1-7_19-15-14.gif
:)

Reactions: Juicyj

Marksmallzy

Im in the same position, from what iv read im going to choose the tslim x2 with control iq. My doctor said he wouldnt recommend the Dana rs but thats for me it might be different for you. Im on Medtronic 780g with there sensor for closed loop which is very good however i dont like the sensor.

Reactions: Juicyj

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
At the moment the pump that IS compatible is the tandem

There is also rumor that omnipod will support libre 3..... but it could take forever for additional support in the UK face it libre 2 has been out for well over 2 years and only the last 6 months or so is it getting issued in the UK

I would say don't work on rumor or maybes go with 'what is'

I've also been told that dexcom may be more widely issued on the NHS.. but in will be the G7 which is supposed to be cheaper to compete with libre... dexcom has confirmed that tandem will support G7... but again no timeliness on any of this especially in the UK where thing always take longer

So for now work on the pump that suites you now... because by the time anything happens you mat already be due another pump

I went on the basis I could self fund the dexcom if I wanted.. and went the tandem route

Reactions: Sarahq1

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My funding for dexcom has been extended by my Surrey ccg to December 22. Even with some issues with the phone app (now uninstalled) I have reduced by hba1c to 48 where even with low carb I'd been 54-64.
The fact that I eat low carb does help the pump smooth out the small bumps that occur. Bolusing is where mistakes happen (timing and guestimating carb) - as with all pumps it only works optimally if you have your basal rate right to begin with and are disciplined re carb counting and timing of boluses. The benefit to the combination of dexcom and tandem for me is the little tweaks occurring without my awareness that are giving me a much better result.
It has been good at minimising hypos by stopping the hourly delivery when it anticipates a fall below the range.
So I'd go for the tandem pump initially and lobby hard for the dexcom funding given that the tandem iq still has a bolus wizard for you to enter your blood sugars from fsl, in the meantime. It is easy to add the Dexcom part in if you decide to invest in a trial supply via self funding.

Reactions: Sarahq1

Sarahq1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My funding for dexcom has been extended by my Surrey ccg to December 22. Even with some issues with the phone app (now uninstalled) I have reduced by hba1c to 48 where even with low carb I'd been 54-64.
The fact that I eat low carb does help the pump smooth out the small bumps that occur. Bolusing is where mistakes happen (timing and guestimating carb) - as with all pumps it only works optimally if you have your basal rate right to begin with and are disciplined re carb counting and timing of boluses. The benefit to the combination of dexcom and tandem for me is the little tweaks occurring without my awareness that are giving me a much better result.
It has been good at minimising hypos by stopping the hourly delivery when it anticipates a fall below the range.
So I'd go for the tandem pump initially and lobby hard for the dexcom funding given that the tandem iq still has a bolus wizard for you to enter your blood sugars from fsl, in the meantime. It is easy to add the Dexcom part in if you decide to invest in a trial supply via self funding.
Thank you for your information, it is really helpful :)

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At the moment the pump that IS compatible is the tandem
I would say don't work on rumor or maybes go with 'what is'

This is very wise, these companies and reps will tell you and even promise that something will be in place in a few months which often can turn into years. Go with what it has today and only use the rumour/promise mill if your pump choices are even and you need some other option to complete your decision. I would also do a search on the Dana RS in this forum, there are a few recent posts you might find interesting to read.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been on t-slim and dexcom and it’s been a gamer changer for me for the last 4 months.

I did note a new tslim pump in testing called active that is worth looking at but not sure how far away that is. All works from your phone so no screen and much smaller.

highly recommended.

Reactions: Carlton1512

bonerp

I'm going on T Slim control IQ tomorrow. Set dexcom up today and finding this 20% more accurate than Libre2 - I've always had concerns about its accuracy (libre2) as finger prick is always out. I'm looking forward to this new kit very much.

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me the main considerations were around lifestyle bits. The Tandem has a rechargeable battery so you need to plug it in for 15 minutes a day to top up charge it (although it will go 5-6 days on a full battery). The tandem pump and the Dexcom talk directly, so no need to worry about your phone running out of battery.

Dana have an option to use a AA battery, but on the flip side your phone is the communication hub between the pump and the Dexcom, and it only supports some Android phones, so worth checking that out too.

Reactions: sassycat