From 10.2 to 4.5 in 60 minutes after a walk. I just want to know if this is usual.

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbage
I'm new to T2 and have been testing my BG levels for only shy of two weeks. I've gone straight onto a low-carb diet and extra exercise the diet is going really well and the running I'm building up. I'm still getting used to my readings, but they've been relatively stable and only gone outside 'the zone' twice - once up and once down. However, they don't really fluctuate much beyond +/- 1 in a day and not in a short space of time. Today I saw it go from 10.7 to 4.7 in 60 minutes after a walk.

It's not that I'm complaining I just want to know. I'm aware from research I've done that exercise can have different effects causing readings to go up or down. Is the difference I found today one would expect in such a short space of time?

Before lunch my reading was 5.2. I had planned a run, so had ministrone soup with two tortilla wraps (90grams Carbs). 2 hours later my reading was 10.7. instead I went for a 45 minute walk (I included a couple of 10-20 second jogs). When I returned from the walk my reading was 4.7.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Before lunch my reading was 5.2. I had planned a run, so had ministrone soup with two tortilla wraps (90grams Carbs). 2 hours later my reading was 10.7. instead I went for a 45 minute walk (I included a couple of 10-20 second jogs). When I returned from the walk my reading was 4.7.

My guess (happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable T2s) is that the 90g of tortillas caused a big spike (the 10.7 was around that time though without a cgm you don't know what the peak was) and time and the the walk brought it back down.

Unfortunately, using the 2 mmol/L rise after 2 hours rule. I suspect that the tortillas were a bit too carby for your body to cope with.

Also, bear in mind the fact that glucometers have a built in error pf up to 15%, so the drop might not have been that much.

But if all your other readings are going well then that suggests you have a good handle on things. My advice would be to use the spikes to moderate your diet.

Reactions: Dave Russell

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I suspect that the tortillas were a bit too carby for your body to cope with.

I have two tortilla wraps at work everyday. I'm a teacher and almost always on my feet, so walking it off. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Might not always be able to walk it off though, or check my BG at the same time.

glucometers have a built in error pf up to 15%, so the drop might not have been that much.

That makes senses.

happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable T2s

Nevertheless, I appreciate you taking your time to respond.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Just to chime in that exercise can have different effects as can other things. You don't need carbs though even if you are planning to go for a run. However your body obviously coped so that's great.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
ministrone soup with two tortilla wraps (90grams Carbs).
If the soup was from a can, they are around 12g of carbs per half a can and one of those cup a soup thingy's are something like 15g, add in the carbs from the tortilla wraps and you have a lunch that in no way could be described as low carb. Food on the go can be difficult let's face it all our lives we have been able to just grab anything quick and convenient. Low carb packed lunches are perfectly possible it just takes a little planning and preparation.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb soup is delicious and dead easy, too. You don't even have to be able to cook, as long as you have a deep saucepan and something to heat it on. Then just shove in loads of low-carb veggies (research first as some veggies are high-carb and don't suit) and a small amount of meat. If you don't eat meat, mushroom and aubergine give oomph, plus a vegetable stock cube. Then add butter and/or olive oil (I use both) and herbs if you like them, ditto garlic, paprika, cayenne or turmeric if you like those. Put in a wide-mouthed flask and you have a meal whenever you need it.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low and behold I had another spike today, following two tortilla wraps with tuna. Tortilla wraps off the menu it is then.
A low carb alternative is 2 eggs mixed with some grated mozzarella cheese then cooked in a wide frying pan so it's like a very thin omelette or a pancake. Left to go cold acts like a wrap. Can make several ahead of time, they'll last a few days in a fridge. Can adjust quantity to taste or to suit your pan. Can add herbs or spices too.

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A low carb alternative is 2 eggs mixed with some grated mozzarella cheese then cooked in a wide frying pan so it's like a very thin omelette or a pancake. Left to go cold acts like a wrap. Can make several ahead of time, they'll last a few days in a fridge. Can adjust quantity to taste or to suit your pan. Can add herbs or spices too.

Ironic. I tried omlette muffin for my morning snack. That sounds more interesting.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds to me as though you had a touch of reactive hypoglycaemia from what you say in your original post. The wraps and soup caused a massive spike and your pancreas responded by producing far too much insulin immediately, bringing your glucose levels down. You may even have gone lower after you tested. Too much insulin circulating the body is as bad as too much glucose as far as future damage is concerned. Please give the wraps a miss - they are not doing you any good.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds to me as though you had a touch of reactive hypoglycaemia from what you say in your original post.
Why not simply a drop from a good bit of exercise? 4.7 is not near hypoglycaemic on diet only, and a 45 minute brisk walk with some jogs put in can drop you quickly, especially if the timing coincides with your insulin response to the carbs.

Also, I wouldn't call a 10.7 a 'massive spike'. While it is on the high side, yes, it's not a massive spike.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenn

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low and behold I had another spike today, following two tortilla wraps with tuna. Tortilla wraps off the menu it is then.
I recommend the carbzone tortilla wraps. Expensive but really nice and the smaller ones are only 4g of carbs each. I get them from ocado but you can order directly from carbzone.

Reactions: EllieM

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Why not simply a drop from a good bit of exercise? 4.7 is not near hypoglycaemic on diet only, and a 45 minute brisk walk with some jogs put in can drop you quickly, especially if the timing coincides with your insulin response to the carbs.

Also, I wouldn't call a 10.7 a 'massive spike'. While it is on the high side, yes, it's not a massive spike.

Thank you.

I'm completely new to this I'm afraid and I haven't got anything/anyone to reference my results to. I really don't know how relative my levels or experience are to others.

I'm aware I'm not in a bad place, especially as I can control mine on diet only. I'm learning but still have many questions. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Dave Russell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I made one this morning and wrapped it around tuna and mayo and had it for lunch. Delicious and really easy to make. Winner!

Reactions: MrsA2 and EllieM

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My thanks to MrsA2. I tried the recipe this morning and it worked perfectly!

Reactions: MrsA2

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I have hijacked this recipe and will try it for dinner tonight with a tiny bit of cheese and lots of herbs x

Reactions: Antje77