How do you use your Libre 2?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you use the alarms? If I accidentally close mine the alarm goes off on my phone to say signal lost - which is how I worked out to leave it open.
Oh yeah, that's what I mean. I don't need the App open for the Alarms to work.

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yeah, that's what I mean. I don't need the App open for the Alarms to work.

Strange. Hmm it’s got me thinking if I’m imagining it but I know in the past I used to close the app all the time and the lost signal went off every 30 mins roughly!

Diabeticmomma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse set my alarm for Hypo’s as I’m having them more at night rather than in the day. The alarms do drive me insane but it helps me to take action before it goes too low

KidDougi

Sorry, I’m a little confused, not unusual for me!! I thought that the only way to get a reading off the Libre 2 was to place my phone near it after I have selected the option to ‘scan’ in the app.
Having not used the alarms, at all, does the sensor, itself, beep if a trigger value is reached, or does it somehow pass a signal to the phone which then dose all the beeping and whistling??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Having not used the alarms, at all, does the sensor, itself, beep if a trigger value is reached, or does it somehow pass a signal to the phone which then dose all the beeping and whistling??
The alarm sounds on your phone, it has a bluetooth connection with the sensor.

KidDougi

Hmm.. I thought that the basic Libre 2 was not a CGM. From what everyone is saying, it sound as though it is?? Or is it being used with one of those adapters?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm.. I thought that the basic Libre 2 was not a CGM. From what everyone is saying, it sound as though it is?? Or is it being used with one of those adapters?
It's not a CGM so it doesn't display your blood glucose until you scan the sensor with the reader or your phone.

What it does do is send high or low alarms even without scanning the sensor, because it has a bluetooth contact.
When the alarm goes off you know to scan your sensor to see your actual bg number so you can act on it.

Apart from that, you can use it with (unapproved) 3rd party apps like DiaBox, which makes it act like a CGM without the need of add on adapters.
It doesn't work perfectly but I'm still happy with it.

Reactions: Brava210

KidDougi

It's not a CGM so it doesn't display your blood glucose until you scan the sensor with the reader or your phone.

What it does do is send high or low alarms even without scanning the sensor, because it has a bluetooth contact.
When the alarm goes off you know to scan your sensor to see your actual bg number so you can act on it.

Apart from that, you can use it with (unapproved) 3rd party apps like DiaBox, which makes it act like a CGM without the need of add on adapters.
It doesn't work perfectly but I'm still happy with it.

Thanks Antje77, that explains it. Shame it can’t send the actual value too, then.

I assume it is a battery power thing which limits it then. The device clearly has the ability to read your BG on a regular basis, so the fact that it doesn’t suggest that it must be a power issue / limitation…??

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Antje77, that explains it. Shame it can’t send the actual value too, then.

I assume it is a battery power thing which limits it then. The device clearly has the ability to read your BG on a regular basis, so the fact that it doesn’t suggest that it must be a power issue / limitation…??
Well, it does if you use a 3rd party app like DiaBox, I've been using it for some months now and the battery of my sensor has never been an issue.

ShandyT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've set the alarms to DND overnight as noticed that although the sensor states 3.8 or lower the meter is mostly in the 4-6 range overnight, daytime readings all seem to be nearly the same ± 3, I've kept using the Accu-Chek meter as still not trusting Sensor's readings as they're tweaking it according to Freestyle :).
Anyone know why I'm spiking just before I wake-up in the mornings sometimes, roughly around 6am?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone know why I'm spiking just before I wake-up in the mornings sometimes, roughly around 6am?
Dawn Phenomenon? It's your helpful liver dumping glucose in your bloodstream to help get you going for the day.

ShandyT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dawn Phenomenon? It's your helpful liver dumping glucose in your bloodstream to help get you going for the day.
But it's not everyday - it's only sometimes, sometimes spikes to between 14-16, so how do I stop this as my routine's the same since working from home :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But it's not everyday - it's only sometimes, sometimes spikes to between 14-16, so how do I stop this as my routine's the same since working from home :)
If it doesn't happen every day, I guess you can only inject for it once you're sure this is one of the days it happens. You could use the alarms to wake you up once it starts to rise, but that leaves you with the issue of the false alarms for hypos.

I'm not sure if it's possible in the LibreLink app to turn off the alarms for lows but keep the alarms for highs, which would be a good solution.
If it isn't, you might want to look into unofficial apps like DiaBox or XDrip, where there are more possibilities with the alarms.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it doesn't happen every day, I guess you can only inject for it once you're sure this is one of the days it happens. You could use the alarms to wake you up once it starts to rise, but that leaves you with the issue of the false alarms for hypos.

I'm not sure if it's possible in the LibreLink app to turn off the alarms for lows but keep the alarms for highs, which would be a good solution.
If it isn't, you might want to look into unofficial apps like DiaBox or XDrip, where there are more possibilities with the alarms.
The Librelink App does have that function, yeah. All three alarm types are opt-in/opt-out.

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've recently started using the libre 2.
Before I used libre 1 with miomio and glimp app.

I dont like scanning, prefer the cgm type graph. So I use the libre 2 with the x drip app. Ots really quite good. I set my target range at 4-10. I'm happy with this personally but I think lots of you set much tighter ranges. Alarms go off for high and low readings. Its not perfect but I'd be lost without it

I have the libre app as hospital say I have to use it..I disable alarms etc on that app

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I have also just started using Diabox, I find it very very good.
I had a handy Glucose rising alarm yesterday.
Once all the settings are at your liking it's totally reliable, just lift my phone to see the BG on lock screen
It also sends Alarms to my Smart Watch

KidDougi

I find that my averages changes depending on how much exercise I do versus how low my carb intake is. Basically, if my activity is high enough and my carb intake is low, I depleted much of my glucose reserves, hence my average is lower.

Maybe your combination of exercise and carb intake could be effecting your morning levels??

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I have an "always on display" on my phone which means Diabox BG levels are always visible.
I can't live without it now...:)

clifft

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today as the first time for me to check my readings and data from

https://www.libreview.com

It is a very nice way to check your readings (if you have not done it so far).
Im new to libre 2. I am 10 days into my first sensor, and have just looked at the reports on libreview and cant get my head round some of the charts. There seems to me to be a lot of information there and im sure this will be useful for the professionals but being a novice im a bit overwhelmed with them. I must say though the libre 2 has improved my readings and am more aware now where my spikes and lows are, so this gives me the info to make adjustments in those areas/times. Up to now I’m loving this device. I have noticed there is a libre 3 coming to the uk i wonder what the differences would be.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

derivadow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My default set-up is:
- Signal loss - turned off
- High - 9.5 mmol/L
- Low - 4.5 mmol/L

But if I'm driving or exercising I move the low to 6 or 6.5 mmol/L (depending on what I'm doing).

The logic being I have the alarms set at the point where I will do something i.e. take fast acting carbs to prevent a hypo or insulin to catch a Hyper.

FWIW I stopped using my MiaoMiao because I found the constant stream of data stressful and I turned off the signal loss alarm because it was too fickle and would often misfire (I don't hard close apps on my phone, there's no need on mobile OSes but I do need the background services running).

Reactions: Brava210