Covid and glucose levels

Dan S

Only got diagnosed three weeks ago and was just wondering if my glucose levels should increase significantly when I have covid? (Tested positive about three days ago and my levels have doubled in these three days)
Thanks
Dan

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Only got diagnosed three weeks ago and was just wondering if my glucose levels should increase significantly when I have covid? (Tested positive about three days ago and my levels have doubled in these three days)
Thanks
Dan
Being Ill certainly can increase blood sugar levels or make them harder to control. there are sick day rules that are talked about to try and help manage

although sone of these from the NHS can tend to talk about keeping carbs up which for T2 May just make things worse

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 and my levels have jumped to between 14-20
Have you been told about sick day rules by your diabetic nurse? Are you testing for ketones? It’s very important to avoid diabetic ketoacidocis when you have an infection. Do look this up so you are aware of the symptoms. I hope you manage to lower your levels soon, easier said than done I know! Also drink plenty of water. Take care.

Sarahlouxoxo

I was diagnosed last week with type 1 was only released from hospital a few days ago from having DKA and my little one has just tested positive with Covid my diabetic nurse has told me to check my levels every 2 hours and check for ketones, wasnt given too much info about sick day rules so a bit weary about it all now!

Reactions: CheshireSteve63

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 1 and my levels have jumped to between 14-20
That’s why I asked type, so that those with the better knowledge of type could come in and offer advice which they have done. I’m T2 so don’t want to lead you astray. When in doubt though, we aren’t medical experts and hopefully your diabetic team can help

hope it all settles back soon

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a T2, had Covid just after Christmas - very few symptoms (Sore throat, snotty nose, upset stomach), but my levels were running at about FBG of 13! fought every day to get them down, and at around 7pm were usually about 7.9mmol, but straight back up the next morning