Just diagnosed

Jan512

Just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes , I’m in shock , at the moment no medication ,hopefully will adjust with diet . I have a first visit with diabetic nurse next week , what can I expect . When nurse rang me she said when I see her next week she will make some referrals….. who to ??? This is all so new to me . I’m confused .

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry about your diagnosis :-( Your referrals will probably be to people like Diabetes Diet (waste of time in our experience) and such like. Read a lot of what is on here. A lot of people speak to 'experts' who tell them to do the wrong things, like eating bananas and bread. Mr. Zig was T2 for 3 months and after changing his diet as soon as diagnosed turned it around in that time and stunned the doctor. Stay strong!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no standard protocol as far as I can work out, but what you ought to get is a referral for an eye check and a visit with a nurse to check your feet, but at the same time you might get some really good advice and encouragement, or a load of nonsensical instructions - it is just your good or bad luck on the day.
I got a three session 'education' course at the local library, run by the hospital, but it was worse than useless. We were told that baked potato and beans were a good lunch - along with a total lack of information about carbohydrate.
By the last session I was no longer in the diabetic range of Hba1c, but they did not let me tell the others how I did it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes it's a shock but you will get past that the referrals will also be for things such as diabetic eye screening for retinopathy, maybe a podiatric appointment.
If you follow the link below it will explain some of the checks you will require over time.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-checks.html

Jan512

Thanks for your replies , very informative. Also do you need to check your blood sugar every day or will it be a 3 monthly blood test at Drs ?
Thanks Jan

mouseee

Pretty much all of us on here would recommend buying a meter. You won't get one from the Drs as T2 and they will tell you you don't need to test. However, it's an important tool to see what effect your food has on your BG.

You will probably learn far more from this forum than the drs. That's what I found so before I got to see rhe nurse I was on my way with knowing what to do.

Reactions: Lillytan

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thanks for your replies , very informative. Also do you need to check your blood sugar every day or will it be a 3 monthly blood test at Drs ?
Thanks Jan
The day I was diagnosed several years ago now I bought a meter and have tested every day since. But some people tested until they had managed to work out what foods they could eat and those they best avoid.

I would advise get a meter and test every day till you know what foods are good for you and what are not
For most the idea is to test before eating then say 2 hours after first bite you are aiming for a rise of not more than 2 mmol/l
and hopfully to drop back to the level before eating in about 2 hours I personlly test at 1 hour to see the peak and then at 2 hours some times even 3 hours. If a particular food gives you a big rise in BG that does not drop to normalish level within the two hours then avoid that food in future.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is no standard protocol as far as I can work out, but what you ought to get is a referral for an eye check and a visit with a nurse to check your feet, but at the same time you might get some really good advice and encouragement, or a load of nonsensical instructions - it is just your good or bad luck on the day.
I got a three session 'education' course at the local library, run by the hospital, but it was worse than useless. We were told that baked potato and beans were a good lunch - along with a total lack of information about carbohydrate.
By the last session I was no longer in the diabetic range of Hba1c, but they did not let me tell the others how I did it.
Just like me with my Dad, I ended up in tears I was so mad at the dietary advice given

Lillytan

I am new also. I bought a testing meter on Amazon straight away to keep an eye on my levels. I also had an appointment with the diabetes nurse at my GP surgery. I’ve an appointment to get my eyes checked at the hospital and also have been put on an online course to learn about diabetes (but that is so far in the future I think I’ll have figured it all out myself by then) so, it’s all new and a learning curve but every one on this group are so friendly and full of information I think we will get a lot of help and support and pretty soon we shall be the ones offering advice to others. Good luck to you on this new journey.