T2 and Running with Metformin and Gliclazide.

NCC1701

Hi.

Just looking for any tips on control and fuelling when amateur running when on Metformin and Gliclazide please. I am 54 and training for a 5km and a half marathon. Obv need glucose drink in backpack bladder for the latter. If running the 5km in 25 mins (fastest I could hope to run!) any tips for breakfast, what to drink (milk? Orange juice?). Want to avoid too high BG and lethargy, or hypo. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen this site below recommended in the past on this forum and have seen people post that it was very helpful, it’s mainly for T1 and I have no knowledge of running, sports etc but it seems to have a lot of useful info that may just help. It’s worth a look

http://www.runsweet.com/

NCC1701

Than you loving life. T2 is a completely different animal to T1 but I've managed to find some useful stuff on the website you provided relating to T2 as well and that will absolutely help and give me stuff to ask GP about as well. So thanks again.

NCC1701

Hi Debbie. I get that too sometimes and was puzzled. Saw something recently that said if you run or train with your heart rate more than 85% of MHR for your age then that can happen as you are no longer running aerobically. So I take from that we must train at lower intensity for longer rather than trying to get speed up during training...a tad frustrating if your after a PB! Lol

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Debbie. I get that too sometimes and was puzzled. Saw something recently that said if you run or train with your heart rate more than 85% of MHR for your age then that can happen as you are no longer running aerobically. So I take from that we must train at lower intensity for longer rather than trying to get speed up during training...a tad frustrating if your after a PB! Lol
Long & slow it is then, I prefer the slogan
The quicker you run the sooner it’s done,
I’ve found running on a treadmill rather than outside to be easier to keep h/r below 80%

Reactions: NCC1701