Progression from prediabetes to T2?

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. Yup, I know about that - very odd, using my Libre I have been about 4.5-6 in the mornings and then as soon as I've got up and showered I am anything between 6.5 and 7.5...

Have a read up on dawn phenomenon
Essentially your body giving you a boost of glucose so you can run away from bears.
Can be improved by low carbing & increased exercise but will take months to see effect.

Is there a way to test how much insulin your body produces or how sensitive you are to insulin?

Yep, there's a C-Peptide & fasting insulin test which I think you can request from your surgery.
Then there's a calculation called a HOMA-IR which tests how insulin sensitive your body is.
I'm not UK based so can't advise further.

Rocinante

Have a read up on dawn phenomenon
Essentially your body giving you a boost of glucose so you can run away from bears.
Can be improved by low carbing & increased exercise but will take months to see effect.

Yep, there's a C-Peptide & fasting insulin test which I think you can request from your surgery.
Then there's a calculation called a HOMA-IR which tests how insulin sensitive your body is.
I'm not UK based so can't advise further.

I have been low carbing for a couple of years now... only having fuel when I cycle (I know this is controversial but I just can't cycle at high intensity without fueling). I have also been doing intermittent fasting off and on (usually from about 2100 - 1200).

Yesterday evening I managed a short, indoor evening cycle (fasted) and this morning the BG levels went up to 6 and is now dropping.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I have been low carbing for a couple of years now... only having fuel when I cycle (I know this is controversial but I just can't cycle at high intensity without fueling). I have also been doing intermittent fasting off and on (usually from about 2100 - 1200).

Yesterday evening I managed a short, indoor evening cycle (fasted) and this morning the BG levels went up to 6 and is now dropping.
@Ronancastled is it really a bad thing to have that rise in the morning? I stopped testing at that time last Summer as I don't see that we are at risk but maybe I'm wrong! Mine was never higher than in the high 7's anyway.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ronancastled is it really a bad thing to have that rise in the morning? I stopped testing at that time last Summer as I don't see that we are at risk but maybe I'm wrong! Mine was never higher than in the high 7's anyway.

As long as you com back down post breakfast I don't see it as damaging.
Only thing is that it raises your BG for an hour or 2 from you baseline & that in turn affects your overall HbA1c.

The only thing is that a non-diabetic would release a finely tuned amount of insulin to deal with the morning liver glucose dump.
T2s have normally lost that sensitivity to micro glucose changes although many of us have regained some control by losing weight & exercise.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been type 2 for 10 years, diet controlled only. I still have morning readings of 8. Its just something my body does.

Reactions: coby and Rocinante

Rocinante

As long as you com back down post breakfast I don't see it as damaging.
Only thing is that it raises your BG for an hour or 2 from you baseline & that in turn affects your overall HbA1c.

The only thing is that a non-diabetic would release a finely tuned amount of insulin to deal with the morning liver glucose dump.
T2s have normally lost that sensitivity to micro glucose changes although many of us have regained some control by losing weight & exercise.

This week seems I am getting much more sensible readings (I'm feeling a lot more normal now as well). BG levels have not exceeded 6 in the mornings (!) after my shower which is quite something. I don't know if this is the result of me doing midweek exercise or because finally the impact of losing 16kg (17% of body mass) is now really helping my BG control. Possibly both.

I did fuel 1 indoor cycle with a banana and that saw my BG level go up to 10 before coming down during the cycle (a fairly intense HIIT cycle).