Pump and contact sports (Football)

GingerRobbo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I have been given my approval for a pump and now looking at my options.
I would like a patch pump like the looks of a Kaleido (not sure if it is funded in the UK yet fingers crossed) however I play football once or twice a week which I want to continue. Just wondering if any one else has done this had issues?

or would I be better with a standard pump?

Any help or advice would be helpful.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi All,

I would like a patch pump like the looks of a Kaleido (not sure if it is funded in the UK yet fingers crossed) however I play football once or twice a week which I want to continue. Just wondering if any one else has done this had issues?

Well done on getting the approval :)

Personally I don't think it matters what pump you go for, they all have pros and cons, if you opt for a pump with a tubed cannula set you can keep this well hidden in a waist pump belt so there's little interference with contact sport and of course same again with Omnipod and a patch, just depends on what your trust offers pump wise as you may have some choice or very little choice, there's a type 1 football team you could contact for advice, Chris (the founder) is really helpful and can give you some pointers which could be of use: https://thediabetesfootballcommunity.com/meet-our-team/

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it depends what happens to your blood sugars during the game.
If they have a tendency to fall, the advantage of a tubed pump is that you can remove it during the game and not worry about it.
If your blood sugars tend to rise, you will need to remain attached because, without your pump, you have no basal. Even the best pump belts and tape tacking run the risk of exposing the tube and getting it yanked with your shirt during a tackle so a tubeless pump located below your waistband is likely to be better for you.

However, this is all academic if you don't know what pumps are on offer at your clinic. My advice would be to find out what is available before setting your heart on anything.
Some clinics offer a choice of 4 or 5. Other pumps offer a "choice" of one.

Gillogi1

Hi All,

Hi

I undertake mixed martial arts and I was approved for a pump 3 months ago.
I opted for the omnipod as it gives me freedom of movement. I don’t need to worry about a cannula getting caught, so far so good.