Lada and weight gain.

Millie74

Thanks the team don’t support low carb. Could do it, but they’re not on board at all. I am still 50-80g carbs a day as have been since starting insulin, but I know need to reduce to lose.

finzi1966

I don’t really understand why you need a team to “support it”. It’s your stomach. Just put <50g carbs into it a day and inject the appropriate insulin for your needs. It’s nobody else’s business how much or few carbs you eat.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks the team don’t support low carb. Could do it, but they’re not on board at all. I am still 50-80g carbs a day as have been since starting insulin, but I know need to reduce to lose.

Goodness! Absolutely nothing to do with them. They should be supporting your choices, not dictating. Anyway you can see a different consultant?

Reactions: Millie74

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can I just ask what you did on 2 days off to avoid plateau?

So it is possible to lose weight on insulin, not just maintain? Also, is it ok to have under 50g carbs a day if you want to?
@Millie74 I am on insulin (type 1) and can still remember my appetite increasing when put on insulin after having high blood sugars. I know lada is different re insulin needs but I've found that low carb but not low calorie keeps me on an even keel.
I have no idea why you would need those 50g though that is still very low carb. I suggest you go low carb but eat to satiety. Your body needs to know that there is enough energy coming in (protein, fat and green veg) so that the furnace (your metabolism) doesn't get turned down. I know this feels counter intuitive but what have you got to lose if you are feeling awful now and needing more and more insulin.
I am a trainer so know what its like to be feeling unfit in a physical job.

Millie74

@Millie74 I am on insulin (type 1) and can still remember my appetite increasing when put on insulin after having high blood sugars. I know lada is different re insulin needs but I've found that low carb but not low calorie keeps me on an even keel.
I have no idea why you would need those 50g though that is still very low carb. I suggest you go low carb but eat to satiety. Your body needs to know that there is enough energy coming in (protein, fat and green veg) so that the furnace (your metabolism) doesn't get turned down. I know this feels counter intuitive but what have you got to lose if you are feeling awful now and needing more and more insulin.
I am a trainer so know what its like to be feeling unfit in a physical job.

Millie74

Thanks all. They just insist that keto or under 50g carbs a day puts me at high risk of keto. But I’m not losing weight on 50-80g carbs a day and tracking 1200 cals even on my fitness pal. I think I’ll have to really drop the carbs and insulin requirements to lose weight and hope it works. Thanks for all the comments. It is miserable feeling over weight teaching.

Millie74

Thanks all. They just insist that keto or under 50g carbs a day puts me at high risk of keto. But I’m not losing weight on 50-80g carbs a day and tracking 1200 cals even on my fitness pal. I think I’ll have to really drop the carbs and insulin requirements to lose weight and hope it works. Thanks for all the comments. It is miserable feeling over weight teaching.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Sorry. High risk of DKA, not keto!
If you are taking insulin, you are not at risk of DKA on keto. It's before you are diagnosed as type 1 and are not producing insulin that there is the risk. I follow Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution and am on a very low carb/keto diet.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry. High risk of DKA, not keto!

Hi Millie, I was told by my Consultant (who supports any diet you may choose and is helpful) that it's not so much you are at any risk from DKA simply by being in ketosis (from a keto diet), it's that if you become ill and your glucose levels rise despite your management, to above 13 or so or remain high for a prolonged period of time due to illness, then that together with the ketones in your body from the diet, may cause you to go into DKA. That is not the same as saying you are at 'high risk of DKA when following keto'. I have followed keto and as with anything, it's all about testing and managing it. If I became ill or felt unwell, I would keep an even closer eye on my glucose levels to make sure they were not on the rise. If they were along with the ketones getting above 3, then I'd eat some carbs to get myself out of keto and take insulin etc.

Millie74

Hi Millie, I was told by my Consultant (who supports any diet you may choose and is helpful) that it's not so much you are at any risk from DKA simply by being in ketosis (from a keto diet), it's that if you become ill and your glucose levels rise despite your management, to above 13 or so or remain high for a prolonged period of time due to illness, then that together with the ketones in your body from the diet, may cause you to go into DKA. That is not the same as saying you are at 'high risk of DKA when following keto'. I have followed keto and as with anything, it's all about testing and managing it. If I became ill or felt unwell, I would keep an even closer eye on my glucose levels to make sure they were not on the rise. If they were along with the ketones getting above 3, then I'd eat some carbs to get myself out of keto and take insulin etc.

Millie74

If you gain weight when on insulin almost certainly you need to reduce your carb intake. Insulin enables the body to metabolise carbs and if you have too many the excess glucose will be stored as fat. I've seen some posts from those with T1 who say they eat whatever they want and just Bolus for it; I wish. I have to control my carbs quite tightly to avoid weight gain and my BS going exponential. We really are all different.

Millie74

I was on a DAFNE course this week and an endocrinologist came on the last day. She asked me as LADA why I was put on insulin. She said it can take up to 20 years before you need it. She said that as LADA often insulin resistant, the more I inject, the more the excess that I am resistant to will be stored as fat. She suggested I take Metformin again and see if it reduces the amount of insulin I need. Said could help with weight loss. If not GLP injection. She isn’t my endocrinologist. Just another one from hospital team. Threw me a bit, as spent all week working out my Levimir dose and what I need for carb count of Novorapid. Then the consultant agreed with more insulin needed, more weight gain if some insulin resistant. She thinks this is common in LADA. Started taking Metformin again yesterday. Felt pretty sick. Need to build up slowly I think. I can’t see Metformin making much difference. She said give it a week. She said as a dance teacher on 50-80g carbs, insulin resistance must be reason for gaining a stone in 6 months since starting insulin. I was obviously on lower carb diet before insulin too. Don’t know if anyone has any thoughts on this consultants view. Don’t think it was that helpful to say she wouldn’t have put me on insulin. I can’t come off it now.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was on a DAFNE course this week and an endocrinologist came on the last day. She asked me as LADA why I was put on insulin.

Hmm, did she have access to your medical notes, cpeptide levels? Honestly, don't really see how she can say that without seeing your records.....

@Antje77 is trying out metformin at the moment (she's LADA) , not sure if she's been on it long enough to usefully comment though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on a DAFNE course this week and an endocrinologist came on the last day. She asked me as LADA why I was put on insulin. She said it can take up to 20 years before you need it.
That is a very strange remark. It almost sounds like she was confusing LADA with T2.
@Antje77 is trying out metformin at the moment (she's LADA) , not sure if she's been on it long enough to usefully comment though.
As for the metformin, for me, the jury's still out, but I take it by choice and I have the OK from my endo to take it or leave it.
I am insulin resistant (judging from my 114 units of basal and the length of time it takes before my short acting insulin kicks in), and the metformin seems to help a little. I'm not sure yet if it helps enough to keep taking it though, as I do have some side effects (on 1000 mg).

I'm fat, but I haven't really gained weight (I don't count 2 kilos in 5 years as a gain) since I started insulin 5 years ago, so I really can't advise you on that part.

Last edited:
Reactions: finzi1966

Millie74

Hmm, did she have access to your medical notes, cpeptide levels? Honestly, don't really see how she can say that without seeing your records.....

Millie74

That is a very strange remark. It almost sounds like she was confusing LADA with T2.

As for the metformin, for me, the jury's still out, but I take it by choice and I have the OK from my endo to take it or leave it.
I am insulin resistant (judging from my 114 units of basal and the length of time it takes before my short acting insulin kicks in), and the metformin seems to help a little. I'm not sure yet if it helps enough to keep taking it though, as I do have some side effects (on 1000 mg).

I'm fat, but I haven't really gained weight (I don't count 2 kilos in 5 years as a gain) since I started insulin 5 years ago, so I really can't advise you on that part.

Millie74

Thanks for response. On 10 units basal at night and 6 in day. Novorapid takes 30 min to hour to kick in in mornings. Ok later in day at lunch and dinner.