Paleo Diet

Chrisjr72

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Does anyone follow the paleo diet? Interested to hear the advantages and disadvantages of this meal plan.
Chris type 2

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya, hope it's going well. I don't really follow this although I do think the principles are sound and are fairly close to my overall approach. Meat and above ground veg, no grains or overly processed food. I include quite a bit of dairy, cheese and cream mainly, which is where I depart from the trad paleo approach. I think there are a few more threads on paleo on the low-carb diet forums.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most of what I eat would count as Paleo, but I think you might need to modify the 'classic' Paleo diet for T2 diabetes: fruit, for example, is fine for paleo but not for T2. Cheese and cream are out for paleo, but good for T2. I guess as long as you keep it low-carb it should be ok, but I don't see any advantage to some of the paleo restrictions.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Paleo I feel would be a good choice for non-diabetics as it is a whole food omnivorous diet including some starches such as sweet potatoes, essentially meat/fish, nuts, seeds, keto style veg, and berries / fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) with no diary.

Some prominent early exponents of the Paleo Diet have moved to Keto / Carnivore such as Rob Wolf and the celebrity chef Pete Evans.

M

Member496333

I sometimes refer to my way of eating as Paleo Carnivore but only because I feel it best fits my dietary mantra. I do consume dairy produce so I’m sure many paleo aficionados would turn their nose up in my kitchen. My target is quite simply nothing with more than one ingredient per item. Easier said than done but perfection is the enemy of good. Most certainly there aren’t any cardboard boxes in my cupboards.

Definitely works for me, as worrying about diabetes is now a faint memory. I barely consider it these days but continue to eat ‘paleo’ because I love all the food and it brings benefits to my overall health that reach way beyond glucose regulation. Worst thing about eating in such a way is that some people seem quietly offended when you explain it to them. Folk tend to think you’re pushing your diet on them just because you answered their question.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I just measured my glucose for the first time in quite a few weeks or even months. Scored a 4.3 mmol/L…in the morning…so whatever I’m doing I will continue to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AloeSvea

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I started out moderate carbing, and upping my fats and proteins, on a paleo diet, and I have a big place in my heart, and my tummy, for this Way Of Eating.

Eating paleo I also had the best blood lipid results I have ever had post diagnosis, which is what the Paleo writers told me would happen. The Paleo writers also helped me understand blood lipids and tests, and helped me learn to cook again with the simply marvellous recipe books. I went on to Keto because I am in the lucky 30% range that is tolerant of dairy - I've had a lot of milk maids in my ancestry/dna I am quite sure. But my lipids aren't as good (ie my arteries don't get cleared of fats) as well on Keto as I did on Paleo.